Talk

Advanced search

To think that moving things from one place to another is not tidying

(19 Posts)
Molehillmountain Mon 15-Apr-13 14:48:23

Unless the other place is actually its home. And putting a load in the machine is not doing laundry. Aargh.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 15-Apr-13 14:51:10

I have told DH not to put laundry on to 'help me' when he is not intending to fold it and put it away. TBF it is about the only annoying household thing he does. He's normally MUCH better than me at housework.

Molehillmountain Mon 15-Apr-13 15:00:21

These are Dhs only sins pretty much! And he only "does" laundry when I've let it get on top of me. I don't think he believes me that when its a bit out of hand, one load a day put away properly that day does more to help than swamping our house with baskets of damp laundry. At least it stays put in the laundry basket!

JustinBsMum Mon 15-Apr-13 15:07:19

Filling the dishwasher AND EVEN putting in the dishwasher powder wow - but wiping down the surfaces, emptying the dishwasher and putting EVERYTHING away, not leaving half of it out because you don't know where it goes ie cant be arsed never done

DeepRedBetty Mon 15-Apr-13 15:19:25

He's okay with washing up but doesn't set it to drain properly, so the bowls of spoons are still full of water, and he puts glasses onto counter tops when the drainer area's full, so when you lift them, a pool of cold scummy water floods out. He also doesn't understand that glasses need a last rinse with hot clean water if you want them to dry smear free. In fact he doesn't understand that using the dishwasher is faster, cleaner and more efficient.

He doesn't ever put anything away, and despite being shown the rubbish and recycling system a dozen times he still just leaves anything he's not sure of somewhere near the sink. Which includes ridiculously obvious things like cardboard.

He is much safer near the laundry now that I've hidden that bloody fabric conditioner he used to throw into every load indiscriminately. Still hasn't quite got a grasp of putting it away though.

He's fairly good at dusting/vacuuming, once he can be arsed to start.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 15-Apr-13 15:38:28

Actually, I've just realised that DH has no idea that washing up water needs to be as hot as you can stand. Not mildly off body temperature. Although, he thinks I have asbestos hands and shrieks when he tries to put his hands into my washing up water. Bloody wuss.

Ezza1 Mon 15-Apr-13 15:40:58

Its not?? shock

blush blush

HenrySugar Mon 15-Apr-13 15:44:41

YANBU.

It goes in the same category as DH "helping" me by getting breakfast for the dcs at the weekend, then I wake up to a disaster zone where the kitchen used to be. Cleaning up after cooking goes with cooking does it not?

Molehillmountain Mon 15-Apr-13 15:55:43

Oh, yes-add the cooking thing. Clearing up as you go along. Does not compute. However, I am like a reformed smoker on tidiness and have been a multiple sinner in the past blush. And I relapse a fair bit. So not sure why I feel I am allowed to complain...

TheSeventhHorcrux Mon 15-Apr-13 16:18:21

YANBU!!!!!

Glad it's not just my OH that does this.

[comes home. House suspiciously tidy. Goes and opens cupboard only to find all mess rammed in that cupboard.]

recall Mon 15-Apr-13 16:21:20

I suspect that my DH accidentally on purpose puts the washing away in all the wrong drawers/wardrobes in the hope that I will ask him to leave it for me to do angry

edwardsmum11 Mon 15-Apr-13 16:23:16

That is what my hubby thinks...

BerthaTheBogCleaner Mon 15-Apr-13 16:26:18

I did that the other day. I went around the living room picking up everything that wasn't were it should be, and putting it on the sofas.

My family walked in and went shock where will we sit?

I said grin Look! I've tidied up! Now you just need to put things away where they belong, and then you can sit down and watch tv grin.

I did wonder, as I wandered off to MN in the kitchen, whether they'd just tip it all onto the floor, but dh galvanised the dcs into action. Hooray, must do that more often.

Imscarlet Mon 15-Apr-13 16:29:58

This thread makes me laugh. If my DH is snooping, he will almost certainly think he has figured out my username as this is a catchphrase in our house. I fully believe that they do these things to avoid being asked to again!

Icanhasnickname Mon 15-Apr-13 16:34:31

I like the never ending questions im bombarded with when DH is forced kindly helping me. Do we recycle cotton wool/fruit netting/crisp packets...where does everything we own live?

edwardsmum11 Mon 15-Apr-13 16:35:48

Although gotta admit most annoying thing in our house is that hubby always says I lose his things in the spare room and I never go in there and that he has only changed his son's bedding once or maybe twice in 19 months.

pigletpower Mon 15-Apr-13 16:36:36

Isn't called 'churning' when you move a pile of things somewhere else, without actually sorting it out? Think I heard that on one of those Hoarding programmes[which I watch to make my house seem a lot tidier!]

MrsMangelFanciedPaulRobinson Mon 15-Apr-13 16:36:55

Things like this drive me bonkers! My DH, amongst other things:

Thinks he's 'tidied the kitchen' when he's shoved half a dozen items in the dishwasher and wiped half the worktop

Thinks he's 'done all the laundry' when in actual fact all he's done is a few loads of washing and left them all damp for me to dry/fold/iron/sort

Thinks he's 'give me a lie in' by getting up with DS, plonking himself in the chair, watching formula one racing, letting DS run riot and getting DS no breakfast. Resulting in me coming downstairs after my lie in to a messy chaotic house, and unfed children still in pyjamas asking me what's for breakfast

MrsMangelFanciedPaulRobinson Mon 15-Apr-13 16:37:55

Oh and he also 'tidies the living room' by putting everything on the mantlepiece, and then moaning at me when the mantlepiece is full of stuff. Yeah that you put there, mate!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now