Talk

Advanced search

to miss uni tommorow

(13 Posts)
confusteling Sun 14-Apr-13 20:54:06

I've got GP first thing tommorow at 9-30. She has a habit if being very late and so it'll be long last 10 before I'm in. It's a double appointment so doubt I'll be done quickly, will be at least 20 minutes. Have got a lecture at 11 - 20 mins walk from gp - til 1 then hospital appt at 2.. In order to get to hospital I need to catch the bus at 1230, or face paying £8 for a taxi. If I do go to class I'm going to have to walk in late, walk out early, and most likely won't eat from 8am til 6ish.. Not only that but because its an oral surgery appt will need to clean mouth before nipping to hospital.. Should I ask GP/hospital for a note explaining the situation, and miss the class? Wwyd?

greenfolder Sun 14-Apr-13 21:01:40

do you need a gp note? can;t you just produce the medical cards if asked? would you be asked?

DribbleWiper Sun 14-Apr-13 21:04:38

Wow - your university checks up on this kind of thing? Do they actually take a register? When I was at university, no one kept any kind of check on what lectures we went to!

I'd say your health's more important than one day of classes.

Sirzy Sun 14-Apr-13 21:06:15

Email your tutor and explain why you can't go.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sun 14-Apr-13 21:07:41

Whenever DD has to miss uni she just emails her tutor to say she won't be there. She then just catches up on notes from a friend.

RevoltingPeasant Sun 14-Apr-13 21:12:53

It depends what course the OP is doing. Some courses have a legal requirement for you to attend a certain percentage of the classes, or to attend certain sessions.

I know departments where this isn't the case, but where attendance is linked to the mark. Or, where attendance is monitored by students swiping their cards as they come in (quite common these days).

So, if it will affect your mark, you need a note; otherwise, a quick email tonight as a courtesy is fine smile

confusteling Sun 14-Apr-13 21:26:13

Yeah everything is registered and monitored - in lectures they hand out a sheet of paper which everyone has to sign, in classes the tutor shouts out names as they would in a school!! They have a policy that you can miss two lectures and two tutorials per 12 week semester, but anything above that has to be explained with a medical note.

I've already had time off this term getting a wisdom tooth out, plus other hospital appointments etc so that puts me over the 2/2 limit. So would definitely need a note, was just worrying that it'd look like I was skiving class but I don't think going is much of an option really..

It's not even that important a course I'm doing - it's an English/Linguistics degree. Could understand if it were teaching or nursing but ..

Will probably email tutor first thing tommorow anyway just to let him know.

confusteling Sun 14-Apr-13 21:26:33

Thanks for the advice smile xx

OHforDUCKScake Sun 14-Apr-13 21:28:12

Its uni. You're an adult.

Did you really need to ask?

Can some people literally make no decision in life without AIBU?

confusteling Sun 14-Apr-13 21:31:37

Duck I know smile, but just wanted to know if I looked like I was skiving or not - I miss class a lot due to illness and family problems, and always sort of want to make sure that it does seem a legitimate reason.. It was either ask on here or ask my mum haha!

Plus I think this is my first thread on AIBU - so I make plenty of decisions without resorting to here wink

maddening Sun 14-Apr-13 21:59:13

Could you take a packed lunch and a toothbrush?

Meerkatwhiskers Sun 14-Apr-13 22:06:28

I'm a nursing student and we have a register we have to sign for each lecture but that's as it's an NMC requirement that we have to do a certain amount to theory and practice hours over our training. But we can still miss lectures and not worry too much. It's nowhere near as strict as 2 lectures a semester.

FatherHankTree Sun 14-Apr-13 22:55:17

Email your course tutor, explaining the circumstances and it should be ok. When I was at university a couple of years ago, I had to miss some seminars, as I'd told them in advance, they didn't mind. (This was at a university that had few mature students and was strict, wrt attendance.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now