Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to expect next door neighbours to give me my cat back?!?!?!

(330 Posts)
tillytrotter11 Sun 14-Apr-13 17:50:01

I am absolutely fuming and doing my nut! This is the first nice day of the year and I've just noticed my 11 year old cat, which went missing 11 months ago, in my next door neighbour's garden. The next door neighbour was sitting outside with her patio doors open and my cat was sitting next to her. Me and my daughters were in shock as we have searched for her and asked around and had even put posters up but had little luck and therefore we assumed that she had died. We kept calling the cat and she instantly recognised us but the woman just sat their ignoring us. We finally got the woman's attention and when we said "excuse me that's our cat" and asked for her back, she blatantly refused as she said she had "taken her to the vet and had her micro chipped". She then brought her husband out, who spoke to us like we were a bunch of idiots. He told us "she was an indoor cat" after we had showed them a load of photographs of her and then they stormed back inside.

It's very obvious that the cat had been shut all this time and the reason we have spotted her now is because it's a very nice day and they have let her roam in the garden.

Where do we stand and AIBU to expect them to return our much loved cat back to us? Thanks for any advice!! sad

Pendipidy Sun 14-Apr-13 17:52:12

report them to the police, of course.

hedgefund Sun 14-Apr-13 17:52:13

blimey, wonder if the police could advise.

SauvignonBlanche Sun 14-Apr-13 17:54:02

Phone 101 for advice.

SoftKittyWarmKitty Sun 14-Apr-13 17:54:19

Oh good god! Call the police on 101. It's theft. Bastards angry.

GlitterySkulls Sun 14-Apr-13 17:54:26

report to police for theft.

did you adopt or buy? (if you adopted her, the rescue could provide proof of this, thus proving your ownership)

TidyDancer Sun 14-Apr-13 17:55:18

Omg police. Definitely.

Did you have her chipped? Any other way of identifying her?

What shitbags they are.

MummyNoName Sun 14-Apr-13 17:55:36

Had something similar myself.
Police will do nothing,
You can go to the county court (if I remember correctly) yourself, but you'd struggle with a case since the cat was micro chipped by them. Proving ownership would be difficult.

Cats aren't covered under the same laws as dogs.

The best you could hope for us that the cat isn't actually chipped, and you go to court and get the cat back.

But cats will go where they please.

Coconutty Sun 14-Apr-13 17:56:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tillytrotter11 Sun 14-Apr-13 17:56:38

I bought her and her sister 11 years ago!! Tragically we had to have her sister put down 6 weeks ago because she was dying from cancer, if we had our cat back it would ease the pain slightly of losing her sister. I'm livid!!! angry

LadyVoldemort Sun 14-Apr-13 17:56:50

Oh I don't know how you'd legally get her back but I'd be tempted to kidnap her! That's Awful of them to steal her sad

tillytrotter11 Sun 14-Apr-13 17:57:41

We've got loads of pictures of her throughout the years. Starting from the day she was 8 weeks old!!!

andubelievedthat Sun 14-Apr-13 17:58:21

legally ,and by cat opinion ,you do not,/cannot own a cat ,the cat decides who it wishes to live with (until it finds someone who will feed them more/cuddle them more/provide more of what pleases them. Sadly, if cat wished to return to your home , it would have ,it"s what cats do ,they do not have "owners" ,cats keep humans as servants, and replace them with all 2 often regularity, when and if it suits them.

Coconutty Sun 14-Apr-13 17:59:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MummyNoName Sun 14-Apr-13 18:00:43

Cats, by law, are free to roam.
You really would struggle getting get back.

We had our cat 11 years before a neighbour enticed him away and he won't come back now. Lots if heated discussions with neighbour, police called etc.

They just aren't covered by the same laws as dogs.

fluffiphlox Sun 14-Apr-13 18:00:47

Buy a new cat. I'm pretty sure you are dead to this one now. It prefers next door.

GlitterySkulls Sun 14-Apr-13 18:01:19

how about taking the cat off them?

if the police won't do anything, then what else can you do but take her?

i don't mean going to their door with a baseball bat, btw, just, next time they let her out,wait for them to go in for the loo or something, jump the fence, pick her up & jump back over. they come back out, but too late, she's in yours & they can't prove she didn't leave of her own free will.

MummyNoName Sun 14-Apr-13 18:03:02

And we brought our cat to the uk from where we lived abroad. He was in quarantine for months, loads of paperwork, vets bills etc, even chipped him. But we could have gone to court, won, got cat back and he'd have still gone to neighbour.

Very upsetting at the time, but a year on, I can see and u d'état and now that cats do as they please.

Sparklingbrook Sun 14-Apr-13 18:03:07

If you didn't have her chipped but the neighbours have I think you may find it difficult to get her back.

Can't believe the nerve of your neighbours, they must have kept her in for all this time? shock

kjrv81 Sun 14-Apr-13 18:03:35

Tell the newspapers, they love a story like that. Hope you get your cat back, they have got a cheek!!

Lj8893 Sun 14-Apr-13 18:04:05

I would catnap her back to be honest, that's what they have done and yes there will be nothing the police can do other than maybe talk to your neighbours (depending on which police officer you talk to!)

Sparklingbrook Sun 14-Apr-13 18:04:16

Oh yes. Local paper. Sad faces with pictures of the cat.

tillytrotter11 Sun 14-Apr-13 18:04:20

Yes, cats do go where they want but these patronising scumbags kept her locked in for 11 months!!!

LovesBeingWokenEveryNight Sun 14-Apr-13 18:04:35

I understand you are upset, shouldn't you be pleased the cat is alive and loved.

Sparklingbrook Sun 14-Apr-13 18:05:43

I would be sooo angry. they let you believe she was dead, they must have seen the posters saying she was lost. that feeling when your cat is missing is just horrible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now