Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be bored of the almost daily holiday updates by sister now?

(15 Posts)
LadyVoldemort Sun 14-Apr-13 17:33:07

Sister and BIL and their kids are off to Florida in a few weeks time, I've been getting the countdown on how many days are left since they booked it months ago. Wasn't to bad at first but now that its getting closer I'm getting messages about it nearly every day. Blatant showing off, boasting about how amazing it'll be, are you jealous sort of thing. She knows we're only holidaying in the UK this year and haven't had any big holidays like theirs for years.

I'm honestly normally the type of person who is happy for other people's fortunes/exciting adventures and I've been trying to keep up with the happy for them comments...but what are you meant to reply with each time you get a god damn countdown?!

Guitargirl Sun 14-Apr-13 17:37:25

YANBU. That's just rude and annoying. Is she this competitive usually? Anyway, be the bigger person, rise above it and just wish them a lovely time. As she has built it up so much hopefully it will be all she has wished for. It may be your turn to go on the expensive holiday next time and again be the bigger person by being much more gracious about it than she is being.

TidyDancer Sun 14-Apr-13 17:40:49

Ignore. She's clearly looking for a reaction. You don't have to give it.

ENormaSnob Sun 14-Apr-13 17:40:52

My friend was like this when they went to Florida last year. It was horrendous storms and rain for most of the holiday shock

McNewPants2013 Sun 14-Apr-13 17:46:39

I don't see the big fuss over going to Florida ( I suppose if I had the money it would purely for DC benefit if we did go)

I find uk holidays far more appealing

diddl Sun 14-Apr-13 17:48:45

Surely best not to reply at all?

I have to say that Florida doesn't appeal to me at all, though.

YoniiidsAreGreaterThanMine Sun 14-Apr-13 17:49:39

How can people actually show off like this? Don't they fell ashamed? I remember being mortified when my colleague announced MY holiday to a few acquaintances.. "Oooh Yoniiids is off to S Africa, lucky her. That's sooo exciting!" She was genuinely pleased for me, but I felt others would think me boastful, even though I wasnt the one doing the boasting...

Amazes me no end when people ACTUALLY show off. Whatever happened to modesty and humilty? sad

LadyVoldemort Sun 14-Apr-13 17:50:16

Haha a little tiny part of me is hoping that it rains all the time while they're there blush nah I am happy for them, it must be very exciting in the build up to it but I just don't know what I'm meant to reply with now. Only so many times you can say "eee exciting, bet you cant wait!"

Yes she is very very competitive with me. No idea why as I'm quite a laid back person, happy for her to have the spotlight. I think she just enjoys putting me down in order to make herself feel bigger.

TheMNeffect Sun 14-Apr-13 17:51:05

Could you have a standard reply, something like 'good for you, bet you are sooooo excited' and just reply with the same thing every time? She might get the hint that way.

Arisbottle Sun 14-Apr-13 17:51:05

If my sister went to Florida and was having an amazing time I would be happy for her.

LadyVoldemort Sun 14-Apr-13 17:52:10

Oh and fwiw I do feel very thankful that we are actually getting a holiday this year, even if it is just UK based. I'd kill for a bit of sun right now but I know other families don't have holidays for years and years so we are quite lucky.

LadyVoldemort Sun 14-Apr-13 17:54:20

I am happy for her Arisbottle! I'm glad they're getting a fancy holiday, it'll be lovely for them and I know the kids will love it. I guess it's just the constant boasting and rubbing my nose in it that annoys me a bit. Just needed a rant on here.

complexnumber Sun 14-Apr-13 17:55:19

Oh the joys of today's instant communication technology!

A 'wish you were here' postcard sufficed for generations.

And a week in a B&B in Broadstairs was all you needed for a decent break.

<I'll bring me own tea bags>

Arisbottle Sun 14-Apr-13 18:02:06

Maybe she is excited and wanting to share her joy, why does it have to come from a bad place.

DonCorleYoni Sun 14-Apr-13 18:25:52

I feel for you LadyV, at least it will stop when they've gone grin

Maybe Arisbottle, or maybe she's a competitive, boastful wind-up.
Like the OP, who knows her, says she is, hmm?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now