Talk

Advanced search

Is my landlord being unreasonable?

(40 Posts)
PeaceandFUCKINGLove Sat 13-Apr-13 17:25:31

I have been looking to move for months now, since exP left. My landlord told me in January about a flat that he had bought, which might be suitable and offered me the chance to look at it.

Finally, last month I saw it following two months of him saying that they were still getting it sorted out, and him saying that he was busy but I could see it soon.

I was supposed to move in this week. He said he would drop off the keys on Monday and I could move in and he would drop in later in the week to pick up the old keys.

Monday came and went and he didn't show and didn't answer his phone. I got a text on Tuesday saying he had a work crisis and would be in touch as soon as he could.

I heard nothing all week, and then today he turned up at the door with the keys to the new place and said that he wanted me to move this Monday. I told him that I can't do it because my friend's DP who is going to be using his van to help me move is away for the weekend (Fri - Mon). Landlord looked a bit annoyed and left saying he would be in touch.

I have just had a text asking if I can move tomorrow, which obviously I cannot because my friend with the van is away. I texted back to this effect and he sent me a very pissed off text saying that he has someone else ready to move in here and he needs to know what day I will be out.

I actually can't move until Thursday (I have commitments on Tues and Weds) now and I know that landlord will be annoyed about that, but I had told him about my friend going away before landlord suggested moving this week, ie before my friend went away for a few days, so its not as if he didn't know about my situation.

I'm annoyed about the fact that my landlord is being pissy with me, when I really believe that he is the one in the wrong here. Am I right?

Monday came and went and he didn't show and didn't answer his phone.

This is the part that means YANBU.

Tell him you were ready to move last monday as agreed but he didnt show up, therefore theres nothing you can do until this Thurs when you are able to move.

Hopasholic Sat 13-Apr-13 17:34:56

Yes. Your landlord is BU. he can't expect you to move at the drop of a hat.

If he needs you to move into the flat ASAP, I would ak him if he has the transport to allow you to do it, as it does sound like he's a man with a van!

TiredFeet Sat 13-Apr-13 17:39:40

Your landlord is being unreasonable. Really unfair to act like that. But, sadly, I guess he has no obligation to provide the alternative accommodation (or have you signed new tenancy already?) And if so then however unreasonable he is being you will have to just try and get him to see sense

cumfy Sat 13-Apr-13 17:48:29

Just get a man with a van. £50-80 approx.

Or pay rent from Monday and move as and when.

It's a PITA but from his POV he's probably found perfect tenants which would then mean all his properties were full and he wouldn't need to find tenants for the less than perfect property you're currently in.

From his POV he's being incredibly decent still giving you 1st dibs.

Just as a bit of practise try rearranging these words.

in gift mouth horse look don't a

cumfy Sat 13-Apr-13 17:52:22

Surely moving on Thursday will only cost you 3 days rent, say £45-60 tops.

PeaceandFUCKINGLove Sat 13-Apr-13 17:54:12

Thanks for replies.

I am actually downgrading to the new place, now that I am a single parent and need somewhere cheaper long term, so tbh even if he decided not to let me have the new place, he knows that I won't stay where I am.

cumfy Sat 13-Apr-13 18:00:09

But I don't understand why you don't want to just pay 3 days extra rent (£50), when you've paid £200-400 extra in the current flat in the 2-3 months extra you've been there.

Sorry. Doesn't make sense.

Branleuse Sat 13-Apr-13 18:01:29

ask him if he can help you with moving

PeaceandFUCKINGLove Sat 13-Apr-13 18:05:27

As I said in my OP cumfy, the landlord wants me out of the current place because it turns out he has told someone else they can move in on Monday. Its not about the money.

cumfy Sat 13-Apr-13 18:05:27

And by the time you would move out, hmmhmmhmm the rental market will be busier.

But, if you'd prefer to hunt round gumtree and agencies for a few weeks and negotiate 0 days overlap between tenancies and arrange with your friend at even shorter notice; that's certainly your choice.

scarletforya Sat 13-Apr-13 18:07:51

He is being VERY unreasonable.

He let you down with a shit excuse and no notice or proper communication. Yet he expects you to be there waiting with your van in a constant holding pattern.

Dick, I would look around and see if you can find anything else as this asshat seems to believe he is doing you some sort of favour! Cheek!

I rent a flat to two people and no way would I dare to treat them with such casual contempt. Huh. He needs to realise it's a renters market and treat his tennants with a bit of respect! Good tennants are hard to come by! angry

cumfy Sat 13-Apr-13 18:07:54

I have read the OP and you certainly did not say that.

I heard nothing all week, and then today he turned up at the door with the keys to the new place and said that he wanted me to move this Monday

PeaceandFUCKINGLove Sat 13-Apr-13 18:07:57

You seem to have misunderstood me cumfy. Never mind.

PeaceandFUCKINGLove Sat 13-Apr-13 18:09:35

"I have just had a text asking if I can move tomorrow, which obviously I cannot because my friend with the van is away. I texted back to this effect and he sent me a very pissed off text saying that he has someone else ready to move in here and he needs to know what day I will be out."

lizzieannejames Sat 13-Apr-13 18:09:44

Personally think your best getting another Man with a van and just move out- I think it is the easiest option even if it is a little inconvenient and annoying.

At the end of the day, if you royally piss you landlord off- well, it could just continue.

M6Toll Sat 13-Apr-13 18:09:47

Maybe you got your Mondays mixed up?

featherbag Sat 13-Apr-13 18:09:59

Cumfy, did you miss the bit where the OP had arranged a moving date with LL who then went no contact? OP has done nothing wrong and is NBU! LL is the U one for thinking he can drop OP in it yet still have everything to suit him no matter how impossible this is for the OP!

Oh, and I'm sure you already know this but just in case, you are incredibly patronising. Which is always an amusing trait in someone who doesn't read the OP properly.

cumfy Sat 13-Apr-13 18:10:25

He can't force you out!

Just sign for the new tenancy, and pay for 3 days overlap.

mybelovedmonster Sat 13-Apr-13 18:10:37

He's BU but I'd just get a man with a van and move in by Monday. Better to be in and get it out the way.

Tortington Sat 13-Apr-13 18:11:27

you could text him
" to enable me to leave sooner you could provide the van."

cumfy Sat 13-Apr-13 18:16:06

I presumed he meant he had new tenants lined up for the new place.

The reason I presumed that is because he can't just chuck you out of your current property.

Sorry if there was confusion.

DeepRedBetty Sat 13-Apr-13 18:16:13

If it's definitely him who's mucked you around, ask him if he can provide a MWAV. For beer and petrol money obv as you hadn't budgeted for more than that when your mate was going to do it.

PlasticLentilWeaver Sat 13-Apr-13 18:30:43

Haven't you got a tenancy agreement? That should have the date you should have been able to move in and been given keys.

Utterly unreasonable to send a text late on a saturday afternoon expecting you to move the following day and not very professional.

The replacement tenant for you current flat must have a start date for their tenancy too, which he shouldn't have committed to until you had a definitive move out date.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sat 13-Apr-13 18:36:57

Would the LL pay for a man with a van?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now