Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

HHAAAR RRAAARR RAARR RAARR GLOMPH!

(16 Posts)
slightlysoupstained Sat 13-Apr-13 11:29:59

DP thinks I should talk to our 7 month old son more using words, rather than silly noises.

I think bollocks. Dinosaurs don't use words. AIBU?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sat 13-Apr-13 11:36:53

Yabu. Our TRex uses lots of words as does the big ugly troll thing that lives in the shoe cupboard.

Mainly "I'm going to eat you!" ...but still words.

TiggyD Sat 13-Apr-13 13:28:09

Your DP should definitely arrange a meeting with your son to discuss this and any other aspects of your son's behaviour that might need addressing. Has your DS had a performance review lately? What does he bring to the family? Could his position be more successfully carried out by a part timer, or agency son as the need arises?

Doogle2 Sat 13-Apr-13 14:06:33

Buy him a copy of war and peace to read out loudgrin

slightlysoupstained Sat 13-Apr-13 15:05:48

DP feels that if exposed to a greater variety of speech, DS's utterances might not be restricted merely to "RRAaarr!" but instead he might be capable of saying "Dear Papa, would you be so kind as to fetch me that rattle for me to chew, I fear that my teeth are troubling me again."

I feel that "RRAaarr!" is quite a splendid utterance and forms a solid foundation for potential future careers as either a dinosaur or a pirate.

Can we ever reconcile such disparate hopes?

Softlysoftly Sat 13-Apr-13 15:09:57

LTB

slightlysoupstained Sat 13-Apr-13 15:17:40

Doogle Splendid suggestion but do they do War & Peace as a board book? DS has a bit of a tendency to chew his books and I fear an ordinary book might not last long enough for him to finish reading.

TiggyD I could suggest a review meeting, but my own feeling is that DS's performance is entirely satisfactory, especially considering his age.

[totally ignores NeoMaxi's post as she disagreed with me. Outrageous. I didn't come to AIBU to be told I'm wrong! ]

Tee2072 Sat 13-Apr-13 15:23:53

Perhaps the person who needs review is your DP?

Is he fulfilling all of his responsibilities to the best of his ability? Perhaps he could be replaced by a contractor or part timer?

PregnantPain Sat 13-Apr-13 15:39:52

My DD spends most of the time arms outstretched, does her best fiercest face and charges at us screeching rawrrrrrrrr. It's her favourite game especially if you act scared she squeals with laughter grin

PregnantPain Sat 13-Apr-13 15:40:03

she is 21 months btw

PregnantPain Sat 13-Apr-13 15:40:27

and she does say other things so us going rawr at her did no harm as she is becoming quite the chatter box.

UniqueAndAmazing Sat 13-Apr-13 15:41:03

ah, don't worry.
as long as you speak to him normally, normally.

DD has been subjected to proper English, but she's standing at the door right now shouting "aah, ayy, ahh" at all passersby.

grin

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 13-Apr-13 16:38:36

DD (2) knows pig, goat, chicken, cow, duck and a host of other animal names. However, all dragons, dinosaurs and predators are 'rawrs' because of our poor parenting at your DS' age. Shame on you.

Queenofknickers Sat 13-Apr-13 18:53:07

TiggyD PMSL gringringringrin

DD2 is 5 months old. She can now say "ewwww" and "eurgh" back at us.

If I close my eyes, shake my head and scream, she giggles then screams back.

The child is a genius I tell you.

grin grin

piprabbit Sat 13-Apr-13 19:08:42

I think you should take a long view on this one OP.
RAAAAAARs today will foster an early and intense obsession with all things dinosaury. Your DS will force your DP to read him bedtime books about dinosaurs called Acrocanthosaurus, Bruhathkayosaurus and Pachycephalosaurus.

Your DP will be humiliated as he stutters and stumbles over the names and your DS gently corrects his pronunciation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now