Talk

Advanced search

To think this is utterly disgusting.

(47 Posts)
dramajustfollowsme Sat 13-Apr-13 10:52:31

Took Dd to see Dora at the theatre yesterday. I know it is for kids and so it wasn't like a normal trip to see a show. However, I was shocked to see a mum whip out a potty and let her little darling do a poo. She then popped it in a bag and dumped it in normal bin.
I was stuck in the middle of the row and couldn't get out to let the staff know but when she did it for a second time, complete with "good boy, what a clever boy" I had to say something.
I asked if she could take him to the toilet next time as I didn't think the auditorium was the place for this, not to mention the smell. She got very angry and said I shouldn't come to a children's show if I didn't like children being children. blush
At this point the staff came over and removed the potty.
I stand by my point that no matter whether the show was for children, she should not have got the potty out there. Yuck!

allmycats Sat 13-Apr-13 10:54:08

YANBU - unless the child had unknown medical problems this is gross

MandragoraWurzelstock Sat 13-Apr-13 10:54:19

That is a bit grim.

LadyBeagleEyes Sat 13-Apr-13 10:54:56

Yuck.

SirBoobAlot Sat 13-Apr-13 10:55:11

I dunno. The putting it in the bin thing, gross. But if the little boy has only just started using the potty, then he probably wouldn't have made it to the toilet in time.

QueenOfCats Sat 13-Apr-13 10:55:13

YADNBU - yuck

CSIJanner Sat 13-Apr-13 10:57:40

YANBU - took my eldest to see the Wiggles. Has diagnosed toiletry problems but we ensured that there was a toilet break before and after. Even at the cinema the other week, we left our seats which were chosen for easy access for toilet breaks. What this mother did was revolting. Yuck! I wouldn't be surprised if the staff didn't give her a bollocking afterwards when she dared to ask for the potty back.

escape Sat 13-Apr-13 10:59:48

Woman was completely unreasonable - training or not - imagine if every parent of a toddler did this. Maybe my son doesn't want to miss a minute of the show, should he piss into my coke bottle ? imagine

Roshbegosh Sat 13-Apr-13 11:00:43

Disgusting bitch should have kept the plastic bag of shit in her handbag or stayed home. Yuck.

Thingiebob Sat 13-Apr-13 11:01:43

It is a bit grim but I can't get so worked up about it that I would complain to staff and get the potty removed from the mum in question.

HeySoulSister Sat 13-Apr-13 11:01:50

no excuse for that at all

digerd Sat 13-Apr-13 11:02:03

At first I thought it was part of the stage play and was a bit taken aback. Then realised it was an audience mum and it seemed an actual 'farce' IRL.
My reaction is ' how could she?!' She sounds unconventional to say the least.
Wondering what the person on the other side said/reacted?

It was up to the theatre staff to tell her what the rules are. Did they say nothing, just take the potty away?

Finola1step Sat 13-Apr-13 11:03:08

Definitely grim. Especially as there would have been toilets nearby. I had to do something similar once but...

My son and I were on a train, the loo was broken and locked up, I found an empty section of a near empty carriage. Son sat on travel potty and did a ... Small wee. Used loads of tissue, wrapped everything up. Took bag with me and disposed of in bin in loo at station when we got off train.

There are times when things like this happen but, YANBU to object when there would have been toilets accessible.

LadyVoldemort Sat 13-Apr-13 11:03:43

Urgh! That is horrible.

I'm not surprised though, some parents just don't seem to have the same respect for hygiene that most of us do. I was at a soft play and a little boy threw up everywhere. It was proper vomit not the baby stuff and there was a lot of it. She asked her mate for some napkins and started wiping it up saying not to bother telling the staff! Gross.

LadyVoldemort Sat 13-Apr-13 11:04:27

Ahh that's fair enough though finola, not much else you could have done.

Finola1step Sat 13-Apr-13 11:08:56

Agreed Lady. Sometimes needs must and all that. But in a theatre where there would have been toilets near by - not on at all. What next, whipping the potty out in the cafe after lunch? Eww!

I think the OP was right to say something.

DreamsTurnToGoldDust Sat 13-Apr-13 11:12:50

ugh that is a bit disgusting, I would have said something as well.

WildThongIWannaKnowForSure Sat 13-Apr-13 11:13:19

Gross! Yadnbu
I was in a restaurant (very family orientated Brewers Fayre type place), and the family next to us whipped out the potty in the middle of the tables and blithely carried on with their meal while the small child sat there pooing away. The smell, boak! Lazy and inconsiderate people.

ConferencePear Sat 13-Apr-13 11:20:40

This is awful. When you DCs are small, just for short periods, there are times when you can't carry one as though nothing had happened. If your children aren't ready to go into public places without being offensive then you shouldn't go. This stage doesn't last long after all.

lydiamama Sat 13-Apr-13 11:21:20

You are completely right, it is really unbelievable that anyone would let a child to use a potty in a public place, and no excuse as surely the theatre has a nearby toilet!

NatashaBee Sat 13-Apr-13 11:25:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheRealFellatio Sat 13-Apr-13 11:25:21

YADNBU and even if the child did have medical problems, it is still not at all appropriate. shock

WildThing that is grim. shock

TigerSwallowtail Sat 13-Apr-13 11:30:16

Eeew, yanbu!

spanky2 Sat 13-Apr-13 11:35:40

That is disgusting . Poor kid having to do it in front of strangers . Just lazy .

dramajustfollowsme Sat 13-Apr-13 11:36:33

The staff hadn't noticed the first time. No ushers close by, very busy theatre with lots of little people. It was a little bit chaotic.
She was there with a group who took the rest of the row at that side.
She spent the rest of the performance saying she wouldn't be coming back as it wasn't child friendly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now