Talk

Advanced search

Neigbours kids..yet again

(13 Posts)
derek1 Sat 13-Apr-13 06:14:32

Now for 9 years we've been having trouble with neighbours children causing damage and trespassing, when i use the term neighbours i should from our own street plus other areas. In the past they caused hundreds or pounds worth of damage to our car. It's also causing ill health for both of us with the stress.

The latest round however now includes the constant in and out of the garden, it's an open drive to the street and they seem to be under the impression that it is their playground to do what they want. We've had to get police involved in the past with the damage to the car and even then they didn't want to do anything about it even though proof of them doing it was there.

We've tried talking to the children to explain why they shouldn't be in the garden and asked them to please keep out, we've tried talking to the parents who apologise only then to see their children in the garden again.

This has now spread to the point they stare into the window, so we close the curtain only then for them to enter the garden again.

The amount of rubbish they throw over the fence part into the garden makes it look like a rubbish dump, we can easily fill the rubbish bin with it only not to have room for our own rubbish every collection day.

Anyone have any ideas on how to curtail this problem, sadly a dog isn't viable thanks to being allergic, though a garden pond with crocodile or two is starting to look good grin

hwjm1945 Sat 13-Apr-13 07:50:55

Poor you.comm support officers?is it rental or privately owned property?

ditavonteesed Sat 13-Apr-13 07:56:26

that sounds awful, I would second community support officers.

MissLurkalot Sat 13-Apr-13 08:03:20

9 years? You've been putting up with this for 9 years and it's been taking its toll on your health!
Move!
We did, after 18 months of nightmare, toxic neighbours.
We love it where we are, and wish we did it sooner.
Do it!

minibmw2010 Sat 13-Apr-13 08:07:51

Can you put gates up do you can still park but lock the car away when not using it?

PurplePidjin Sat 13-Apr-13 08:18:21

Crocodiles are expensive. How about a nice wildlife garden full of holly, nettles and brambles?

HeySoulSister Sat 13-Apr-13 08:25:32

You can fill a whole bin? Really!

9 years? Do how old were they when they started? Surely they are teens now? Yet still staring in your window.....

4yoniD Sat 13-Apr-13 08:52:45

how about playing classical music, or getting one of those high pitched doodahs? No idea if legal or not, though!

shesariver Sat 13-Apr-13 08:55:34

I had really problem neighbours whose son was assaulting and bullying our DS, his Mum was no support, she was just as bad at times and seemed scared of her own 10 year old...we used to get verbally abused sitting in our own garden to. Initially I thought theres no way Im losing my home over this but the stress increased and it was intolerable what was going on, so we did...I saw it as running away but things have settled down and like misslurkat wish we had did it sooner!

MissLurkalot Sat 13-Apr-13 10:16:52

Derek, sorry if my first post was quite strong. If I can add to it....
No one wants to be driven out of their home... But, we stopped enjoying our home... We stopped going out in the garden. We spent most our time out, just to stay away.

That was no way to live.

And, as hard a decision it was, we put the house on the market and pulled out lovely daughter out of infant school and enrolled her in a much better school across town.. And, then, we got a buyer and then found the most perfect house... Our dream house in an even better part of town.

My point is, every cloud has a silver lining.

And, even though, it took time for me to let the anger go...(as we felt driven out out and that we were running away at first).... We have done nothing put reap the benefits from moving from such toxic neighbours. Our children are thriving here, and we feel like we are living the dream.

I wish you well with everything.

CSIJanner Sat 13-Apr-13 10:29:50

We had this - contact your community support officer. V helpful I. Patrolling g and sorting things out. Also tends to talk to the parents on a friendly level.

Failing that, CCTV.

Jan49 Sat 13-Apr-13 13:25:13

You poor thing. Have you considered putting gates up? You could also try talking to the local community support officer about it.

I'd be interested to know how others have moved from a house they own due to bad neighbours, as you have to declare the neighbour problem when selling (in England at least). Doesn't it put buyers off? We had more minor neighbour problems and I was very worried it would put a buyer off when we were selling last year. Thank goodness it all went ahead. I also wished I'd moved sooner. We'd lived there years and weren't moving because of the neighbour problems but obviously still had to declare the problems.

derek1 Sat 13-Apr-13 17:14:34

Hello all and thank you for your replies, sorry for the delayed reply.

A fair few of these kids are the siblings of others we've had trouble with, each generation just carrying it on, other have moved out to be replaced by the council with-shall we say-energetic children (trying to be polite)

Gates can't be fitted thanks to the terrain, we've thought about many possibilities but none feasible without drastic landscaping of the road and pavement.

The age of the children ranges from roughly 5 to 14/15 years, they certainly know what they are doing at those ages, they seem to spout laws better than anyone.

We live about 400 meters from a police station, we've got both photos and cctv footage. We've had PCSO walk by the odd time but makes no difference.

Property here is dirt cheap, i wonder why!!! We've looked at moving but thanks to the market and how much this place would fetch even a caravan looks like a dream house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now