Talk

Advanced search

Travel cot mattresses

(27 Posts)
M0naLisa Fri 12-Apr-13 22:15:20

I bought a travel cot from my mum. I've looked up mattresses for it as ds3 I'd still in our room in the Moses basket and he's getting too big for that. The prices for the specific cot I have are over £35 inc delivery. He will be only in it for a couple of month.
I worry about not getting one and using a quilt instead under him. Mum says he'll be ok. But I don't know.

Or would i better to try to get the cot that's up in our boys bedroom into our bedroom? Could be tricky and a tight squeeze but.......

M0naLisa Fri 12-Apr-13 22:16:27

Oh should have been chat....thought that's where I was!

Hmm how can I turn this......

Is my MUM being unreasonable saying use a quilt under ds as a mattress instead?

Finola1step Fri 12-Apr-13 22:24:47

Please do not use a quilt. Do not use anything that is not designed to be used in the actual travel cot. I am not prone to scaremongering, so I feel very uncomfortable with what I am about to type... For 35 quid, are you seriously going to risk your ds suffocating? Are you mad?

auntmargaret Fri 12-Apr-13 22:25:20

Not helpful, but am gobsmacked your mum would "sell" you a travel cot. You know they only cost £40??
Practically, how often did she use it, and how often would your DC sleep in it?

grobagsforever Fri 12-Apr-13 22:31:40

My brother was found blue, but thankfully still alive thanks to an incorrect travel.cot matress, he got stuck between the soft mattress and side. Mothercare updated their policy as a result. Your mum is being.v v v unreasonable.

M0naLisa Fri 12-Apr-13 22:31:47

She jbought it for £20 from somewhere. Sold me it for £10. No I wouldn't risk for £35. I thinking for the price I could try and squeeze our cot into our bedroom. It was mum who first suggested the quilt. Not me. I understand my op makes it sound like that, no my mum said when I bought it for her and asked her about mattress she just said 'put a quilt under him'

PearlyWhites Fri 12-Apr-13 22:33:14

You don't need a mattress in a travel cot I have never used one and don't know anyone who has. Babies are very light so what mine seem hard and uncomfy to an adult is fine for a baby.

M0naLisa Fri 12-Apr-13 22:33:34

She got it from the market :-/ never been used apparently. Looks brand new.

He would be in it from end of April to end of July.

M0naLisa Fri 12-Apr-13 22:34:08

It has a board which is covered in material. That goes over the bottom. It modes seem hard though. :-/

playftseforme Fri 12-Apr-13 22:36:29

I think you could probably get one for cheaper than 35 quid. I got mine from www.babyMattressesonline.co.uk for less. Really good quality too.

FadBook Fri 12-Apr-13 22:38:10

We went from Moses basket to travel cot to save dismantling the cot in dd's room. Turns out, we still ended up dismantling the cot and putting it up in our room as by 6 months I wasn't ready for her to go in to her room grin

A cot in your room is a much better option. I wished I'd done this from the beginning. Move furniture out of your room (in to the nursery) to make room for a cot.

Travel cots are harder to me, because they so low down and I was lazy during the night not wanting to get out of bed to pick dd up, when I could slide her across for a feed from the cot to our bed grin

neontetra Fri 12-Apr-13 22:40:26

My dd currently asleep in travel cot with no mattress (at my dm's house). Always sleeps absolutely fine like this, though it seems hard to me. You could give it a try, see how baby gets on.

Finola1step Fri 12-Apr-13 22:40:41

Just use the thin mattress that comes with the travel cot. Babies don't need anything softer. When I use mine at MIL, I just pop a fitted sheet for travel cots over the mattress and both ds and dd have slept really well.

Really relieved that you will not be following your mum's advice.

MsVestibule Fri 12-Apr-13 22:41:21

Oh God, grobags, the same thing happened to my DD when she was about 8 months. My mum put in a thick mattress that was the same size as the travel cot and I didn't think anything of it. DD was in another room, but her crying woke us up when she'd fallen down the side and was trapped.

To further add to my credentials as a shit mother, DC2 slept in a travel cot until he was 2.5yo. It was only supposed to be temporary, honest, but DC1 (born 20 months earlier) just wasn't out of her cot as quickly as we expected her to be blush.

M0naLisa Fri 12-Apr-13 22:42:59

I don't have a mattress that came with it. It came with a board that has material on it. That's its. Wen the cot is down the board wraps around the cot to keep it in place so that it'll fit inside the bag.

I think I'm just going to put baby's cot in our room. It's quite thin so should fit. Even if it means turn it's upside down to get through door of the boys bedroom into our bedroom lol

DialsMavis Fri 12-Apr-13 22:52:22

The fabric covered board is the mattress! smile

Lexie1970 Fri 12-Apr-13 22:53:04

..... That is the standard mattress that comes with a travel cot!!! TBH when I used travel cot I had a baby blanket and sheet over the base/mattress but it was only the odd night here and there.

NoTeaForMe Fri 12-Apr-13 22:53:23

That material covered board you're talking about is the mattress. Travel cot mattresses are hard and thin, otherwise they wouldn't be very travel-able! It's a board, Slightly padded and covered, then you wrap it around the cot. That's the mattress.

M0naLisa Fri 12-Apr-13 23:00:53

Ahhh really??? Hmm

My mum said it was just a board so that its straight for the mattress to go on top of!

(Did my mum actually have any kids?) ;)

mybelovedmonster Fri 12-Apr-13 23:04:13

You can get v cheap ones, try kiddicare.

Finola1step Fri 12-Apr-13 23:04:46

Yep that's the travel cot mattress. A decent one will have a bit if padding to it but not much. Sounds like a good idea to use the bigger cot though.

M0naLisa Fri 12-Apr-13 23:06:55

Yes IM gunna try drag it through tomorrow lol

elfycat Fri 12-Apr-13 23:10:52

I occasionally double up a flat sheet and put over the hard matress, before putting on a fitted sheet if I expect the room to get chilly in the night. Hopefully there's not much they can do with a sheet to harm themselves, after all it's OK to put another sheet over them.

2DDs have slept quite comfortably in ours without padding. DD2 (2.5) is just about to climb out of it so I guess we'll need another solution soon.

Loupee Fri 12-Apr-13 23:13:37

This one is £18 delivered, but you have to check the size of your travel cot, as they are not universal.

In saying that we've just come back from a caravan holiday with DS who is 8 months, he slept fine in the travel cot with no additional mattress, I had a sheet on it to make it less plasticky. We also keep it downstairs for daytime naps.

BionicEar Sat 13-Apr-13 01:03:15

We had a mattress made to fit our travel cot from the local market, as our LO seem to struggle to sleep well on the hard board wraparound mattress, Since putting the mattress in which was made to measure to fit cot, LO has slept better in cot when we use it. Think we paid about £15 for it.

Alternatively I believe you can get mattresses for travel cots from places like Mothercare.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now