Talk

Advanced search

To think no child needs four cakes at once?

(18 Posts)
midori1999 Thu 11-Apr-13 17:58:33

Especially when one is a toddler and one was up all last night sick?

My grandmother is staying and she's lovely and has been very helpful today as I'm pregnant and have a tummy bug. She's just given the children their dinner of home made soup (it was in the fridge) and then gave them a huge plate of cake to share afterwards. They had 4 cakes each.

She has a habit of 'feeding' and as a child she would feed us ridiculous amounts of crap and she has just eaten cake for dinner herself instead of a meal. She often does this. I'm not precious about the DCs diet, they're allowed the odd bit of cake, but 4 cakes at once is too much, surely? confused

blackcurrants Thu 11-Apr-13 17:59:34

YANBU but Gawd I want some cake now grin

frogspoon Thu 11-Apr-13 18:01:23

How big were the cakes? Cupcake sized? Even if they were mini-cupcake sized, 4 is too many, YANBU.

HeySoulSister Thu 11-Apr-13 18:01:45

who bought/made it?

Shelby2010 Thu 11-Apr-13 18:04:20

More importantly, is there any left? And secondly, was it chocolate cake?

CloudsAndTrees Thu 11-Apr-13 18:05:11

YANBU, but my granny is like this too. She does it with my husband as well. Me - not so much. I think it comes from the fact that she grew up knowing what true hunger really was like, bread soaked in milk was apparently the main meal of the day quite often. So she tends to like to see little ones eating, and she seems quite offended when they don't!

tethering Thu 11-Apr-13 18:08:25

No child needs four cakes but isn't that the purpose of grannies? ie to sneak children lots of treats that they don't need and that their parents wouldn't give them. [if only we had a cake smiley as well as a flowers one]

tripecity Thu 11-Apr-13 18:09:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

coreny Thu 11-Apr-13 18:10:07

Bet your dc's love her! grin

Trazzletoes Thu 11-Apr-13 18:12:42

That sounds just like my DM.

Our food cupboard is currently overflowing with fondant fancies, biscuits, gingerbread men, date and walnut cake(?!), cupcakes...

KarmaBitch Thu 11-Apr-13 18:14:27

Oooff sugar overload. It must be a granny thing though. My kids granny always likes to try filling them up with crap after dinner. I do put my foot down now though because when she sent them home they were always bloody wild on a sugar rush!

midori1999 Thu 11-Apr-13 18:14:35

She bought it at the supermarket yesterday. She bought 8 large chocolate muffins, 4 chocolate eclairs, a pack of profiteroles, 2 battenburgs, 2 packs of marshmallow teacake thing, a family sized treacle sponge and a family sized chocolate sponge. We had just popped in for something for dinner and I'd intended to go back to the shops today before I got ill, which she knew.

Cloudsandtrees, I think you have a good point. She views food hugely as a treat. I know she's just trying to be nice, but it drives me mad.

babyradio Thu 11-Apr-13 18:15:18

My grandma was always horribly disappointed if I didn't eat at least four cakes whenever I went to her house. She would then send me home with some variation on a packet of french fancies/packet of kitkats/a whole ginger cake.

Now I want some cake...

samandi Thu 11-Apr-13 18:23:24

Of course YANBU. No adult needs four cakes either. I think I would be sick if I ate four cakes at once.

TheSecondComing Thu 11-Apr-13 18:26:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pumpkinsweetie Thu 11-Apr-13 18:28:59

That's what grannies are for, spoiling children grin
Yanbu though, send the cakes to me grin

midori1999 Thu 11-Apr-13 18:31:09

Well we had chicken with potatoes and three veg yesterday for dinner and she tried to do it then too.

There was plenty of bananas, fruit etc. my oldest son had a dinner at school, the middle DC was unwell last night and the toddler, well, is a toddler, so I didn't think soup and bread was inadequate for one day. There is always plenty of fruit and yoghurts, that's what they usually have if they have pudding.

fairylightsinthespring Thu 11-Apr-13 19:23:37

if it was after dinner rather than before I wouldn't be too worried. It is a GP thing and I generally have no objection to the principle of spoiling and treats so long as the kids understand that's what it is. My mum will often, just as we are leaving, about to go home for tea, will want to give them a biscuit for the car, having previously fed them copious crap also.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now