Talk

Advanced search

To want to avoid over complicated bed-swapping....

(21 Posts)
FishfingersAreOK Thu 11-Apr-13 16:49:47

We no longer have a spare room, which I thought we could deal with using a complicated bedswapping/giving up our room/DCs rooms being jiggled around. However that works for rare times my parents sleep over (they are close enough generally to go home) - but it is becoming apparent it is a bit of a faff, awkward and just meh for other family & friends...

We still want guests and with that we would like some to stay over without said bedswapping (you know what I mean BTW - no smuttiness please grin). So I am thinking a double airbed to put up in the sitting room would be the perfect solution.

But I have only slept on really uncomfortable ones (albeit is about 5 years ago since I braved one).

So - AIBU in wanting to avoid the bed-swapping? Is there such a thing as a comfortable double air-bed? Or an alternative? Please! I am loathe to just go to Argos without the wisdom of MN!

Bejeena Thu 11-Apr-13 17:03:12

We have the Aerobed and it is ok for a few nights. We have same issue as only got 2 bedrooms and baby due in August.

However personally I wouldn't like to sleep in someone else's sitting room and would never expect anyone coming to my house to stay to sleep in my living room either, would just book cheap hotel surely?

we have an argos air bed n for odd nights its fine.

FishfingersAreOK Thu 11-Apr-13 21:29:26

Never thought that much of a big deal to sleep in someone's sitting room if there is no spare room. It is big enough and shut away from the rest of the open plan house. Cheap hotel sound worse to me - and cheap depends on your budget (some of my BILs are still students so not really an option). Also is a good 20 minute walk to the nearest hotel so just would feel really inhospitable to offer to host and then have to chuck people out at bed time. If they prefer that option I would not take offence - but want to be able to still offer the option of sleeping over. Hence trying to find a/the most comfortable option possible.

The aerobeds seem quite ££ - is this the norm? Are thy worth the extra money? Does anyone know please?

DameFanny Thu 11-Apr-13 21:32:18

They're worth the extra, not least for the pump and the quick let down.try and get a double height one - or could you replace a sofa with a proper sofa bed?

riskit4abiskit Thu 11-Apr-13 21:46:29

What a disappointment, I was hoping this was another thread by Brian!

FishfingersAreOK Thu 11-Apr-13 22:32:55

Sorry - it is very tame in comparison to yonis...I did not know about Brian when I started this...I have seen something since then...and struggled not to let out a little bit of wee reading about it.

Needless to say am trying not to think of Brian and airbeds at the same time..[bleurgh]

twolittlemonkeys Thu 11-Apr-13 22:38:07

The aerobeds are pretty good. We have one and in fact it was our proper bed for the first 6 months we were married! A friend who stayed with us for 2 weeks said it was very comfy and she slept well. It is a lot comfier than a normal cheapo air bed. Go for the one that is the height of a regular bed. HTH.

twolittlemonkeys Thu 11-Apr-13 22:39:28

By proper bed I mean only bed. We bought a real bed after that.

EndoplasmicReticulum Thu 11-Apr-13 22:43:27

We have an aerobed, I have slept on it a few times. It's OK, but you do get cold as it seems to take all the heat out of you, so make sure you provide lots of extra blankets.

Also it developed a puncture one night and deflated and I woke up on the floor!

It's much more comfortable than our sofa-bed, which wasn't a cheap one either. I have not yet found a sofa-bed that is particularly comfortable to sleep on.

NumericalMum Thu 11-Apr-13 22:44:09

My mum slept on ours for a month when DC was born but it is punctured (bloody cat) and we can't fix it as we can't find the hole. It was very good until then. I am with the sofa bed idea though. We loved ours. Should never have sold it! We had spare rooms and beds when we sold it and do again now but still always seem to have more people than beds as I get carried away!

pinkstinks Thu 11-Apr-13 22:46:18

Get a z bed! They are amazing!

lemontwist Thu 11-Apr-13 22:49:12

I would have no problem with sleeping in the living room on the odd occasion I stayed at someone's house. It sounds like you have fairly frequent guests though so I would definitely consider a sofa bed.

zipzap Thu 11-Apr-13 22:52:07

Another vote for aerobeds - we used ours as our main bed for a while and it was really comfy. Ours was just the regular air bed height, not the double height one. Several people have slept on it since including uncle who was about 70 at the time; everybody has been surprised at how comfy it was (and when uncle slept on it, it was at a big family gathering, he was there for a night, others including me for longer. Would have been happy for him and aunt to have had the bed we had except a) we have young kids and their beds were in our room and b) the aerobed was considerably more comfortable than the bed we were in!)

Would second about it being cold - kind of sucks the heat from you. We used to put a spare duvet underneath us which worked well.

Aniseeda Thu 11-Apr-13 23:20:39

We have two single aerobeds, so I only have to haul one out if it's just my sister or both for my parents. We don't often have anyone else staying thank goodnesss

We have the low ones but I have slept on the bed height one at my parents and that's really nice.

They are fine for a few nights. Get some nice bedding so it looks like you've made an effort! Agree with a spare duvet under the bottom sheet for extra warmth.

It is a bit of a pita dragging them out of the cupboard each time but, until one of the children moves out, we have no spare room, so it works well.

Aniseeda Thu 11-Apr-13 23:23:36

In my experience, sofa beds are fine if it's just me but, if I have to share one with DH, we are ready to kill each other by morning - I have never found one that's big enough for two!

FishfingersAreOK Fri 12-Apr-13 00:00:03

This is really useful. Am not prepared to go down the sofabed route - I used to have one and was v comfortable as a bed but absolutely fucking awful as a sofa (shudders am memory) and have tried several in the sofa shops and yep- still yet to find a comfy one to sit on.

Can you get double z beds?

Bejeena Fri 12-Apr-13 10:58:38

Oh I third the point about the Aerobeds being cold too but if you put extra blankets on should be ok. But other than that find it reasonably comfortable.

MousyMouse Fri 12-Apr-13 11:02:19

yanbu
out visitors are either on the sofabed or on an airbed.
I would never give up my or my dc's bed for visitors.
airbeds are quite comfortable nowadays. it's not as if you are asking them to sleep on a rug!

MousyMouse Fri 12-Apr-13 11:03:58

and for the cold I just put a blanket under the sheet.

CaurnieBred Fri 12-Apr-13 11:17:05

We have a constant stream of visitors at our house so have used a low Aerobed for the last 11 years and, apart from a new release valve which they replaced free of charge 3 years ago, it is still going strong. Would def recommend, but would go for a double height one if I was buying a new one these days as it is much easier to get out of if you are older.

I don't get cold in the aerobed if it is put on carpet, but if on laminate or when camping I do, so put a foil backed blanket on top of the mattress, under the aerobed fitted sheet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now