Talk

Advanced search

To hate the phrase "suffer fools gladly"

(22 Posts)
CruCru Thu 11-Apr-13 12:45:04

When someone says "I don't suffer fools gladly" it usually means they are happy enough to be unpleasant to others but are rather upset when people are unpleasant back. I used to have a boss who said it. Ugh. He was a tosspot.

thefirstmrsrochester Thu 11-Apr-13 12:51:07

Agree with you completely. And every time I hear someone say it, I think "tosspot". FIL says it all the time - he is the poster child for tosspots.

Lottashakingoinon Thu 11-Apr-13 12:55:25

Spot on. Ditto when (some) people claim to be sensitive. Often means you have to tiptoe around them while they say what the frig they like!

Apart from anything else the example you give Cru is totally nonsensical (not you, the phrase!) I mean, have you ever met anyone who said 'Oh a fool....yipppeeeeee'

nemno Thu 11-Apr-13 12:57:19

When people tell you what they are personality-wise then it sets off all sorts of alarms!

CruCru Thu 11-Apr-13 12:57:24

Exactly. I think it is quite offensive, particularly if it is given as the reason for unpleasantness. I am not a fool.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Thu 11-Apr-13 13:05:42

Me too, it's usually the fools saying it and it ALWYAS sounds ridiculous and pompous.

limitedperiodonly Thu 11-Apr-13 13:14:49

I hate it too. I take it to mean the person is an intolerant bastard.

limitedperiodonly Thu 11-Apr-13 13:17:08

poster child for tosspots. grin

It's a clue that you should avoid the person at all costs, so it's useful in that way.

KurriKurri Thu 11-Apr-13 13:20:53

Most of these phrases 'I don't suffer fools gladly' 'I call a spade a spade' 'I tell it how it is' etc etc. translate as 'I'm a rude self absorbed git with no social awareness whatsoever'.

Movingtimes Thu 11-Apr-13 13:23:31

Yes, see also 'I speak as I find'.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Thu 11-Apr-13 13:27:21

yy to all of those above - and, "I shoot from the hip, me". hmm

BerthaTheBogCleaner Thu 11-Apr-13 13:27:26

The answer to "I don't suffer fools gladly" is "gosh, how do you live with yourself?".

If you're lucky enough to have someone say "I can't bear fools" you can reply "your mother obviously could". grin

frillyflower Thu 11-Apr-13 13:27:39

In the same vein as 'my house my rules' - all thinly disguised rudeness and intolerance. Just ugh.

vladthedisorganised Thu 11-Apr-13 13:29:21

What movingtimes said.
I find "You can dish it out, but you can't take it" to be quite apt for these people.

Tee2072 Thu 11-Apr-13 13:33:01

Nice generalizations on this thread. I think I'll hide it since it's full of fools and, guess what? I don't suffer fools gladly.

Movingtimes Thu 11-Apr-13 13:35:41

In the same vein I am also very wary of people who habitually start sentences with 'No offense, but...'
I find the rest of the sentence generally contains something exceedingly offensive.

thefirstmrsrochester Thu 11-Apr-13 13:41:01

YY - see also
"I'm not being racist but...." always followed up by a gobsmackingly racist remark.
"I'm not being rude but ...." followed by a deliberately rude comment.
And
"With all due respect"...... ", now this one is rarely followed with anything near respectful.

limitedperiodonly Thu 11-Apr-13 13:41:51

I'm not being funny but...

aPseudonymToFoolHim Thu 11-Apr-13 13:50:38

Eddie Izzard does a funny piece about this! Google it!

'I've got a pig in my trousers...'

'come in!!!!'

LaQueen Thu 11-Apr-13 13:58:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheBrocoliIsStillRaw Thu 11-Apr-13 14:02:47

[Grin] lotta Yippe....a fool. I so need to use that.

AThingInYourLife Thu 11-Apr-13 14:42:57

I don't think this is something you are meant to say about yourself.

It's something you say about a third party.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now