Talk

Advanced search

to think he ought to know what he's doing by now

(5 Posts)
Frettchen Thu 11-Apr-13 12:05:10

I moved jobs 7 1/2 months ago, am within the same organisation, and still have plenty of contact with my old team.

Very soon after I left (either starting the same day I started my new job, or just a week later) they bought in someone new to fill the position I had left vacant.

Even now I am getting calls from him asking how to do things, or what to do when something unexpected happens. These questions could easily be answered by others in his team rather than myself.

AIBU to expect my old team to be supporting their new member of staff, and not to have him call me everytime he can't figure out how to do something?

I may be a little bit sensitive to it because I worked really hard in that old job and didn't have the same support that he should have; I set most of the processes up myself and a small part of me is worried he's making a mess of something I so carefully put together. The rest of me is just annoyed that I'm having to support him, whilst also getting on with my new work - it's not my job!

(Also, how do I bring it up with my old manager that my 'replacement' seems to need a bit more support?)

CajaDeLaMemoria Thu 11-Apr-13 12:07:42

Could you not just nicely forward the email to one of the other team members of your boss, and say that they might be in a better position to help because they are in the same place/currently working on the project/you're snowed under?

Then they'll see that he needs support, and hopefully he'll start asking them rather than you.

If you don't nip it in the bud, you'll be hand-holding forever. 7.5 months is a long time to learn a job!

Lariflete Thu 11-Apr-13 12:46:36

Are you my manager? She has exactly the same problem with her incompetent replacement needing help for every tiny thing.
She seems to be doing two full time jobs, while he does half a one, badly.
Only advice I can suggest is that you start telling him to ask someone else as you are busy doing, you know, your job.

ediblewoman Thu 11-Apr-13 13:31:28

I had this with my maternity cover, despite the huge handover file and really competent team. He called after I explained my DD was in Hospital so after that I just ignored his calls!

Frettchen Thu 11-Apr-13 15:26:53

That's the thing - I spent my last weeks furiously writing handover docs, so it's not like the answers aren't there!!!

Thanks for the replies. Next time he calls I'll suggest he talks to his immediate colleagues, and if he really needs me to deal with it I'll get him to e-mail me, so I can forward it onto his manager.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now