Talk

Advanced search

Mum doing Nursery run has shingles but didnt tell anyone

(15 Posts)
whokilleddannylatimer Thu 11-Apr-13 10:40:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PandaNot Thu 11-Apr-13 10:43:24

You can only catch chicken pox from her by direct contact with the open sores. I doubt you've been doing this but I might be wrong.

ChestyNut Thu 11-Apr-13 10:45:09

Yes she should have told people so if unvaccinated or not had chicken pox they could have chosen whether to be exposed.

Iirc if the blisters are dry and covered the risk of infection Is low.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Thu 11-Apr-13 10:45:27

Speak to your GP about the chicken pox vaccine for your child.

glossyflower Thu 11-Apr-13 10:45:33

As long as she doesn't have open sores uncovered the risk is very low.

whokilleddannylatimer Thu 11-Apr-13 10:49:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DinoSnores Thu 11-Apr-13 11:55:13

There's no reason to do anything different when you have shingles assuming the rash can be covered.

redskyatnight Thu 11-Apr-13 12:07:17

When DH had shingle he was told by the doctor there was no reason not to go to work unless he felt rotten. DH queried being contagious and told that unless someone came and licked his spots he wouldn't pass it on to anyone! so basically spots being covered by clothes was fine.

So no issues with mum doing nursery run.

SunflowersSmile Thu 11-Apr-13 12:10:31

I am not sure if you can have vaccine while on steroids. May be wrong but if you went down that route you would need to check that.
Don't think shingles as contagious as chickenpox.

PioneersAndPirateShips Thu 11-Apr-13 12:31:42

You should let your DCs doctor know thatshe has been exposed to shingles while on steroids, they will advise on the best course of action

rollmeover Thu 11-Apr-13 12:40:51

When I had shingles I was going to a wedding with lots of kids and specifically asked the doc and he said it was no problem as people would have to run their faces in it (what a thought!) I was also bf dd and despite my stomach being covered in the sores she didnt catch it either.

Because of your dc backstory it might be worth a quick call to the gp.

EggwiniasRevenge Thu 11-Apr-13 12:44:28

No need to quarantine with shingles therefore no need to advertise.

glossyflower Thu 11-Apr-13 13:14:52

I stil think with shingles you have to be careful. Someone with open sores with shingles can pass on chicken pox to someone who has never had chicken pox. Therefore they should stay away (if open uncovered sores) from pregnant women, people who are immune compromised and children.
But you can't catch shingles from someone with shingles.

x2boys Thu 11-Apr-13 15:03:51

when i was pregnant i was in contact with a collegue who had shingles i spoke to the midwife and you cant catch chicken pox from shingles only the other way round apparently feel free to correct me

BalloonSlayer Thu 11-Apr-13 15:13:21

" you cant catch chicken pox from shingles only the other way round apparently feel free to correct me"

- yep I'm correcting you x2boys grin

You can't catch shingles from chicken pox but you can catch chicken pox from shingles.

You get shingles if you have had chicken pox some time before, and if you are run down or at a low ebb health-wise the chicken pox can put in a re-appearance as shingles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now