Talk

Advanced search

to phone the farmer

(15 Posts)
Heinz55 Thu 11-Apr-13 10:39:37

I was out for a run this morn when a sheepdog came down the road towards me. I was passing by a sheep farm where the farmers dogs are a bit scary (they're 100% working dogs and are treated as such - the farmer has low tolerance of pet dogs and has a reputation for shooting any dogs found on his land) so I was a bit wary. However the dog had a toy in his mouth and his ears were back. I kept on going and as I passed him realised it wasn't a toy but a baby lamb, freshly killed. I didn't see another person on my run and am dithering over calling the farmer and telling him. He will shoot the dog. But what if it's not his animal? It might be a neighbours and maybe they should have the opportunity to re-home the dog. I don't know the farmer at all but would kind of know his neighbours more and don't really want to be the one who ratted out their pet. Should I just keep my mouth shut and forget I saw anything??? Or do I owe it to the lambs confused to report it??? It's a small community.

LokiTheCynicalCat Thu 11-Apr-13 10:45:19

Dogs never kill sheep just the once.

I'd ring the farmer. If its one of his own, he deserves to know. Not least because if he has a habit of shooting pet dogs on his land, some other poor creature might get it instead.

If its not his own but you can describe it fairly well, chances are he will be able to identify it and call the neighbours. It is up to them what they do about it then.

Lucyellensmum95 Thu 11-Apr-13 10:45:54

I don't think you have a choice sadly, you need to phone him sad

cozietoesie Thu 11-Apr-13 10:51:16

Loki is right. Once a dog 'turns' they don't go back. And the next casualty might not be a lamb.

You have to phone, I'm afraid. If it was one of his dogs, and that dog was, say, so hungry that he went for a lamb, it could also be a wake up call for him that other people might know about that.

ConferencePear Thu 11-Apr-13 10:51:32

Ring the farmer. This is his livelihood. It is unlikely that the dog is his or that it will stop at one.

LouiseSmith Thu 11-Apr-13 11:04:15

As much as I am against the killing of dogs, I think you need to call the farmer. Next time it may not be a baby lamb xx

mrsjay Thu 11-Apr-13 11:06:19

phone him poor lamb he may not know the dog has got out or something,

THERhubarb Thu 11-Apr-13 11:10:12

Farmers don't randomly shoot dogs on their land. If it is lambing season and irresponsible dog owners let their dogs off the lead then the farmer could lose his entire stock.

This is someone's livelihood versus a pet dog.

I'm sure the farmer is not cruel to animals but he has to feed his family and being a farmer is bloody tough. Sheep dogs are not pet dogs you are quite right, they are working dogs but unless the farmer treated them well they would not perform well. Most farmers have a huge amount of respect for their working animals.

You need to report what you saw because that dog could have killed other lambs and left them in the field. The farmer could lose hundreds of pounds, all because some idiot didn't put their dog on a lead.

My mother-in-law has a farm and the number of dog owners who claim their iddle widdle pet wouldn't hurt a fly and then watch with horror as their pet dog ravages her hens is unbelieveable. Last time I was there I had to do a sign for her but I still watched as some laughing family walked right through the yard with their dogs off the lead and then shouted frantically as the dogs made straight for the hens.

I wish I could bang all of their heads together.

TheBigJessie Thu 11-Apr-13 11:11:19

Phone him.

Morloth Thu 11-Apr-13 11:14:26

Can't have sheep killers.

You should say something.

Heinz55 Thu 11-Apr-13 11:15:00

I did!! Sorted - he knew anyway. Feel relieved - not least because I never want to witness anything like that ever again sad

M25Meltdown Thu 11-Apr-13 11:16:42

So was it one of his ?

quoteunquote Thu 11-Apr-13 11:16:52

Please ring,

some sheep dogs do kill sheep, some go next door to do so, he will want to know, it may not be a working dog,

oh and ring 101 and get them to log it, as the farmer may of reported lambs being killed, then they can add a description to log.

I was up walking across the fields very early one morning, checking for iced over water supply) a couple of years back, spotted a pair of dogs (labs)going for the sheep and lambs on the opposite hillside, by the time I and my dogs had got over there they had killed a couple lambs and injured a few, legged it as we arrived,

went on up to the farm the sheep belong to, informed them, phoned back to ours, by the time we(farmer and I) came back out all of five minutes later, one of his dogs arrived with a dead lamb, it had gone down and picked it up. my dogs don't chase sheep, unless you make them, but some do.

they spend a lot of time with them, but they will go and pick up a dead lamb and bring it to me,

so tell the farmer he needs to know what is going on, it could be anything,

It is amazing how many people let their dogs out to wander, mind you I've been stood in a field inspecting the sheep, and had people walk in and just let their dogs off, and look astonished when you go ape shit as their dogs attack the sheep.

I've had people tell me that because they are on a public footpath, their dogs are allowed to run free and attack livestock.

my mate who has sheep on the coast, each year she has lambs and sheep, chased off the cliffs, by people walking the coastal path, who when entering a part of the south west coastal path, which has open grazing, don't put their dogs on leads, usually because the they haven't trained the dog not to pull, so they can't be bothered.

A dog is only as good as it owner chooses to allow it to be.

M25Meltdown Thu 11-Apr-13 11:16:55

Dogs that is ?

DaisyFlower123 Thu 11-Apr-13 11:21:20

As a farming family, please do phone the farmer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now