Talk

Advanced search

to wonder how my train will split in half?

(19 Posts)
StealthPolarBear Wed 10-Apr-13 17:30:45

Apparently only half of it is going to the airport. Please can one of you clever trainey types explain?
Also there's a thing making a noise like a demon behind me... I darent turn round.

TWinklyLittleStar Wed 10-Apr-13 17:32:05

They just uncouple the carriages and the front and rear ends go along different tracks.

SoupDragon Wed 10-Apr-13 17:32:36

Usually a demon with a great big axe chops the train in two and eats half. Are you sitting in the right half for the airport? I hope you aren't in the half that "terminates at X station".

CuntiestMNer Wed 10-Apr-13 17:33:27

I once got caught out by a Spanish train splitting in half. I ended up in a completely random town.

NotTreadingGrapes Wed 10-Apr-13 17:34:16

And you have to be dead careful not to be in the wrong bit!

I went to Lisbon with a girl who thought she was headed for Seville once.

CuntiestMNer Wed 10-Apr-13 17:35:04

Obviously it's very common in Spain. I didn't make it to Lisbon though.

NotTreadingGrapes Wed 10-Apr-13 17:35:05

Xposted with Cuntiest (whose thread I am watching with glee) grin

Did you think you were going to Seville? Do you know me?

sjupes Wed 10-Apr-13 17:35:58

This scared me the first time it happened - i wanted from preston to haymarket but the train i got on was for somewhere else - i argued with the man on the platform for ages a few mins then decided to just get on.

I spent the first half of the journeu looking for anything i recognised grin

StealthPolarBear Wed 10-Apr-13 17:36:16

" They just uncouple the carriages and the front and rear ends go along different tracks."
But then what is driving?
I feel there may be something fundamentally lacking in my train education...

CuntiestMNer Wed 10-Apr-13 17:36:40

I was somewhere in the middle. I thought I was going South and ended up going towards Valencia.

CoffeeBucks Wed 10-Apr-13 17:38:07

It'll be a multiple unit, which can be driven from either end. Someone will come & drive the other end.

/train nerd

StealthPolarBear Wed 10-Apr-13 17:38:11

Soup I m not headed for the airport so I don't thibk it matters, unless I'm eaten by te demon of course ib which case ill be annoyed

And I CAN SMELL POO. is that notmal? Dd is at home with her dad who is cleaning the poo off the walls and our bed

StealthPolarBear Wed 10-Apr-13 17:39:01

Codfee but does that then mean the other bit has to head in the opposite direction? I suppose that's ok

thermalsinapril Wed 10-Apr-13 17:40:42

The same way it manages to go round corners - the train consists of carriages which are coupled together.

radified.com/gfx7/coupling_train.jpg

StealthPolarBear Wed 10-Apr-13 17:43:18

The woman next to me is eating a cereal bar as if nothing momentous is about to happeni javent heard the demon in a while, he or she must have got off in Leeds

ChasingStaplers Wed 10-Apr-13 17:45:37

If you can smell poo and aren't near the toilets, perhaps you have a small smear of poo near your nose? Have you looked in the mirror at all? grin

Coffeebucks - I'm very impressed with your knowledge that it is called a 'multiple unit' I'll have to remember that for future use smile

mrsjay Wed 10-Apr-13 17:46:45

They just uncouple the carriages and the front and rear ends go along different tracks.

^ ^ that and make sure you are on the right side for where you want to get off I nearly went to oban once when I was going to fortwilliam was sitting on the other side when they were splitting, a nice train man made me move blush

StealthPolarBear Wed 10-Apr-13 17:47:34

Are we nearly there yet? Oh, yes, apparently. and poo smell has gone but after what dd got up to last night it wouldn't be out of the question!

CoffeeBucks Wed 10-Apr-13 17:58:55

Yes, the two bits go in different directions. It's a shame that your bit of train smells of poo though sad

Staplers grin if only it were useful knowledge... (beyond this thread, obvs.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now