Talk

Advanced search

to wish DM would stop making me feel like a crap parent?

(5 Posts)
hairtearing Wed 10-Apr-13 14:17:57

I was having a conversation the other day with DM and right now I am having potty training from hell.
The eldest has made limited progress and is very reluctant to go further,
She often says things like you have to be stroppy,firm or tough ...but I know you don't like doing that! angry makes my fucking blood boil, She will also say if she disagree's with something I do, in front of DC angry I've told her this is stupid and undermines my authority basically teaching him not to listen to me. And not to give too much away in her line , she should know better which makes it more insulting.
In the home when he is bad he is put in his room, things taken away and outside e.g. if he is kicking off we take him home, how is that someone who doesn't like being firm?
He has been challenging in the past, there is a possibility of underlying issue the assessment basically said, there maybe something but we are not sure.
I feel like I am ready to explode.

YouTheCat Wed 10-Apr-13 14:19:57

She sounds like a nightmare.

The minute she opens her mouth with criticism I'd be tempted to stop her in her tracks and just say 'Mother, no' and hope she eventually gets the idea - much like teaching a toddler. wink

TimeIsACurrency Wed 10-Apr-13 14:21:28

YY to what cat said! In that loud, clear tone you use with toddlers! grin

hairtearing Wed 10-Apr-13 14:24:05

LOL as good an idea as that is I would probably get , now don't get defensive! I hate that phrase its stupid, If I had criticized someone I would thinks its a natural reaction to 'get defensive'.

YouTheCat Wed 10-Apr-13 14:30:12

Just repeat ad nauseam, she'll get bored eventually. Like a toddler. grin

She does sound like a delight though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now