Talk

Advanced search

To be a bit sad that they are talking about the formula demand in China as being a good business opportunity?

(15 Posts)
showtunesgirl Wed 10-Apr-13 13:40:43

They were talking about the current formula buying restrictions due to the demand in China for British brands due to the lack of trust in Chinese brands.

They kept saying that we in Britain should make more to make the most of this business opportunity.

I find this rather distasteful. People are trying to feed their children and are worried about how they do this both here and in China. Surely, talking about how much money you can make from it is a bit wrong?

showtunesgirl Wed 10-Apr-13 13:41:40

Sorry, should have said that it was being discussed on Radio Two.

IWishIWasSheRa Wed 10-Apr-13 13:47:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IWishIWasSheRa Wed 10-Apr-13 13:50:27

I completely agree, I cannot imagine how it must feel to be concerned that a sole food supply for your child is not readily available and then worry about how to pay for it.

TheSeventhHorcrux Wed 10-Apr-13 13:51:42

Don't see a problem personally. The demand is only because some parents in China want to buy British brands - there's not a shortage as such, it just a branding thing.

MrscremeEgg Wed 10-Apr-13 13:52:03

It is a good business opportunity.

Since when was business ethical?

They don't make formula out of the goodness of their hearts, you know.

HollyBerryBush Wed 10-Apr-13 13:56:03

I would have thought it a good idea, increase of exports equal more revenue into this country. Good for the economy.

MrscremeEgg Wed 10-Apr-13 13:56:33

Although saying that, I don't even see anything particularly unethical here.

Increased demand for a product = good business opportunity

theodorakisses Wed 10-Apr-13 14:06:12

I have an issue with us selling arms but not powdered milk.

IWishIWasSheRa Wed 10-Apr-13 14:14:44

But aren't the Chinese public over a barrel with regard to the safety of milk manufactured in China? The companies exporting are entitled to make a profit but not by inflating the price dramatically to exploit those who need it.

Shanghaidiva Wed 10-Apr-13 14:49:57

The Seventh - not just a branding issue. In 2008 it was discovered that melamine had been added to milk and formula to increase the protein content. There is still a lack of confidence in domestic chinese milk and formula products.
I have been in China for 5 years and will not buy any local milk because of this issue.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 10-Apr-13 14:59:05

Babies died because the Chinese milk was contaminated. I would be feeding my child foreign branded milk if I were them. I also found it a bit hmm that all the news people were talking about making sure that there was enough for British consumers. I was thinking, 'what about the Chinese babies, will they have enough?'. Are we not supposed to think about them at all?

showtunesgirl Wed 10-Apr-13 15:07:28

The issue I have is that people are talking more about profit as opposed to ensuring that babies are safe and getting nutrition.

Also one caller thought it was more about Chinese mothers wanting to be fashionable rather than ensuring a safe food supply. hmm

TheSeventhHorcrux Wed 10-Apr-13 15:48:36

I understand the reasons behind preference for British brands. But I think encouraging business for it is profitable both ways - the Chinese get a good supply of safe milk and those selling it get good business. The only ethical dilemma would be around a possible price increase

Shanghaidiva Wed 10-Apr-13 17:08:44

It most certainly isn't about Chinese mothers wanting to be fashionable.
Also it's not about British brands, but any foreign brand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now