Talk

Advanced search

Lighthearted thread ... Mouldy food

(26 Posts)
glossyflower Wed 10-Apr-13 10:14:35

Am I unreasonable to think its ok to eat food past its best before date - as long as it looks/smells ok; or like with my breakfast this morning make toast to find the crusts have started to get mouldy but I just cut off the crusts and still ate it grin

hotcrosbum Wed 10-Apr-13 10:15:20

Minger grin

DuttyWine Wed 10-Apr-13 10:16:48

Erm I'm sitting on the fence, if I did that its fine, it I went to my parents and discovered this I would chuck it in the bin in disgust! grin

DuttyWine Wed 10-Apr-13 10:17:20

Sorry, IF I went to my parents

frogspoon Wed 10-Apr-13 10:22:25

I wouldn't. Mould is made up of microscopic spores, which are only visible when there are millions of them. The remaining piece of bread without visible mould probably still had many microscopic mould spores, just not enough to be visible. Also mould spores grow "root" threads into the food, so just cutting off the mouldy surface of the food may not help.

The spores produce chemical called mycotoxins, which are poisonous chemicals which make you feel sick.

This website explains in more detail about which foods are safe to eat if the mould is cut off, and which foods should be thrown away. Bread is a porous food, therefore it advises that mould bread is thrown away.

DuttyWine Wed 10-Apr-13 10:24:34

Ooh I retract that after reading frogspoon's post. Yuk.

Oblomov Wed 10-Apr-13 10:29:58

I eat food past its sell by date all the time. I have the stomach of an ox !! But as soon as I see mould, I bin it.

TigOldBitties Wed 10-Apr-13 10:32:46

I'm the same, I eat things that are on the turn all the time. I encourage, DC to do similar. I think its probably done me good over the years as I never get stomach issues.

glossyflower Wed 10-Apr-13 10:32:48

Yuck yes frogs post is an eye opener but I haven't been sick yet!

On a different note, I've noticed that only shop bought bread goes mouldy but when I make my own it never grows mould just goes stale.

Oblomov Wed 10-Apr-13 10:41:33

mould
grin

issypiggle Wed 10-Apr-13 10:48:46

i work on the theory that food doesn't know how many days past the best before/use by date it is, so unless there's mould it gets cooked and eaten.

glossyflower Wed 10-Apr-13 12:04:04

oblomov you had to lower the tone didn't you?! grin

itshothere Wed 10-Apr-13 17:01:02

YABU. The very idea of it makes me want to vom shock . Very particular with what goes in my mouth grin.

WildlingPrincess Wed 10-Apr-13 18:23:42

I've done it blush

idiuntno57 Wed 10-Apr-13 18:34:31

go to the love food hate waste website. loads of tips on using leftovers and what is or isn't ok to eat. You'll be surprised.

LisasCat Wed 10-Apr-13 18:43:31

Anyone watch that thing with the sealed kitchen in a museum for a month? I always used to cut mouldy crusts off bread....never again. As mentioned, once mould is visible the spores are growing long tentacles through the middle of the slice.

EndoplasmicReticulum Wed 10-Apr-13 18:46:04

I chuck mouldy bread.

I have been known to eat the non-mouldy parts of cheese lumps though, on the basis that stilton is just mould anyway. And I have had jam from under the mould too.

EndoplasmicReticulum Wed 10-Apr-13 18:47:10

Lisas - yes I saw that documentary. The pig was something to watch.

Bunbaker Wed 10-Apr-13 18:49:54

No way. I have IBS as a result of food poisoning and my stomach is now too sensitive to food that is past its best. Mouldy bread gets chucked in the bin.

Theicingontop Wed 10-Apr-13 18:53:14

Big fan of ignoring best before dates. You look and sniff, if you see or smell anything that indicates the food's off, bin it!! That includes mould! Blurgh!

Bunbaker Wed 10-Apr-13 18:58:20

The problem with the sniff test is that it only detects bacterial spoilage. Foods that contain toxins aren't necessarily off and won't smell bad.

EuroShaggleton Wed 10-Apr-13 19:00:38

Bread I would chuck. I have been known to cut the mouldy end of cheese and eat other parts though.

TheCatIsUpTheDuff Wed 10-Apr-13 19:03:50

I cut off the mouldy bit and eat the rest. Never done me any harm so far.

glossyflower Thu 11-Apr-13 16:08:32

I chucked the rest of the mouldy bread away today grin

rainbow2000 Thu 11-Apr-13 19:05:17

Itshothere . Very particular with what goes in my mouth .blushI bet you are ARF

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: