Talk

Advanced search

To drive dcs 15 mins to school if...

(16 Posts)
benetint Tue 09-Apr-13 22:17:25

...the others nearby aren't that bad? I just really really love this school. We'd definitely get in (due to religious criteria) and dcs already have a lot of local friends on our estate (who incidentally go to 7 different primaries, none of which is reasonable?) aibu?

benetint Tue 09-Apr-13 22:19:00

None of which is reasonable??! Meant to say none of which are this school

Happymum22 Tue 09-Apr-13 22:20:05

Yes, definitely YANBU. If you can cope with a 15 min drive, go for it.

I used to drive my DC 40 mins at one point to a great school...it was worth it.

Your child's education is so important and if you feel happier at a certain school then your enthusiasm for it will rub off on your DC.

Sirzy Tue 09-Apr-13 22:25:30

do what you think is best.

You don't say how many children you have been seem to be talking about more than one so don't forget to consider what will happen if one child finishes school at normal time and another has some sort of after school activity on. Or what happens on the day the car breaks down etc

NotMoreFootball Tue 09-Apr-13 23:09:50

I drive around 30 minutes to by DS's school and think it is worth it, we used to live really close to his old school but it still took him 15 minutes to walk so not that much of a time difference. You may get occasional traffic or you may not, you'll get to know the route and the volume of traffic very quickly, we've neve been late in over a year of driving.

BallyGoBackwards Tue 09-Apr-13 23:14:20

We drive 15 mins each way. Its fine except as Sirzy says, when one of them has an after school activity. Then I have to hang around for an hour. Other than that (and the petrol) it is fine.

Startail Tue 09-Apr-13 23:15:02

Our nearest school is 15 minutes drive, so it doesn't seem odd to me.

CloudsAndTrees Tue 09-Apr-13 23:16:12

Yanbu.

30 minutes driving a day is nothing when it comes to your child's happiness and education.

skratta Wed 10-Apr-13 00:51:29

YANBU, and, tbh, 15mins isn't too long. A great education is better than saving 10mins or so on a journey!

benetint Wed 10-Apr-13 10:01:35

Aw thanks everyone. I thought I was being insane just to consider it so you've made me feel better!

MummytoKatie Wed 10-Apr-13 10:58:48

Is it 15 minutes during school run traffic or on nice clear roads? Suspect it would take the best part of 15 minute to drive dd to the school she will go to in bad traffic by the time I have got the car out, got her in the car, found somewhere to park etc and it is only a 20 minute walk.

elliejjtiny Wed 10-Apr-13 11:19:55

YANBU. My DC's go to our nearest school and it's 1hr walk away, 40 mins bus ride or 5 mins in the car (but I don't drive angry) so 15 mins doesn't sound that far to me.

Hulababy Wed 10-Apr-13 11:21:32

DD's school is about a 10-15 minute car drive away. We have a very good local school but we chose a different school for other reasons. It's not been an issue in anyway. DD still has lots of firends, it never curbs her social life, etc.

everlong Wed 10-Apr-13 11:25:13

We have two schools on the doorstep but choose to drive 30 mins ( in rush hour ) to one that is better all round.

No problems at all.

Dawndonna Wed 10-Apr-13 11:41:55

I've been doing an hours round trip for the last five years. Definitely worth it.

benetint Thu 11-Apr-13 16:14:45

Thanks everyone. It's country roads so it should be relatively traffic free hopefully!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now