Talk

Advanced search

to wonder why the media did not say anything about forums but have lots to say on MN

(14 Posts)
kim147 Tue 09-Apr-13 22:08:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Tue 09-Apr-13 22:25:12

You mean you don't know, kim? grin Answer's in our pants. wink

The site has had a lot of publicity, what with the politicians coming trying to capture the 'female vote'. It's a big site, and therefore has come to the attention of the media whereas most sites (including the little sad sacks who invade us) are tiny little things that nobody notices. MNHQ do insist on doing those webchats. You throw yourself out there and this is what you will get. And we're women who aren't Nice. Not nice little sweet compliant giggling things lolling and hunning and being all lovely at all times. We speak our minds, which is about the worst thing you can do as a woman.

Oh, and we don't, generally, get down on our knees and worship celebrities. That pisses them right off. When you're used to sycophants I imagine it's a hell of a shock when someone flat out says you're an arse.

And when one's had a pop, the others think that they might get a bit of publicity by following suit.

kim147 Tue 09-Apr-13 22:30:25

joanofarchitrave Tue 09-Apr-13 22:30:28

People have heard of it. Women have heard of it. Most websites would get a 'huh?' reaction from 98% of the population and 100% of the female population. They won't get publicity by writing a furious denunciation of www.damnyouautocorrect.com.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Tue 09-Apr-13 22:34:01

I missed the radio 2 thing.

Was she good?

kim147 Tue 09-Apr-13 22:34:23

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Tue 09-Apr-13 22:35:15

I'm surprised they don't. The media loves a good Bash A Teacher article!

kim147 Tue 09-Apr-13 22:35:30

HollyBerryBush Tue 09-Apr-13 22:36:31

I would presume because MN has political 'kudos', it being owned by the wife of a media editor with some sway.

BlackeyedSusan Tue 09-Apr-13 22:43:43

I think it may be because lots of people on here do not suffer fools gladly. Not good news if you are a celeb and a fool! grin

They also do not look beyond the suface. Those who say we are all bitches and harpies have fallen into the trap of having a cursory look around and judging by reputation rather than reality, looking for confirmation for what they believe rather than looking with an open mind to find out what it is really like across a wide range of threads and boards.

colleysmill Tue 09-Apr-13 22:44:43

Compared to other non parenting related forums I'm on this has a significantly faster pace.

It's also very diverse and manages to be supportive but challenging at the same time. I like the different opinions and view points you can read and I imagine this is what attracts the attention.

Sunnywithshowers Tue 09-Apr-13 22:49:29

Because it's full of women supporting each other and not just being 'nice'.

juniper9 Tue 09-Apr-13 23:40:51

The media had a field day over a tes thread a few years ago, where teachers were saying that they skim through their new registers and guess which kids will be chavs...

WorkWankWail Tue 09-Apr-13 23:45:46

Hecsy - excellent post.

TES is full of nutters!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now