Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Who IBU? Us or the landlord?

(24 Posts)
ballinacup Tue 09-Apr-13 18:48:54

Our landlord wants to set a homecare boiler plan up with British Gas, which is great.

Problem is, they need to inspect the boiler during a normal working hours time (ie Monday to Friday, 9-5). Trouble is, DP and I both work FT during those hours. We work a long way from home so no chance of us popping back at lunch etc.

The landlord expects one of us to take annual leave. We're both unwilling to take precious holidays for someone else's property. We have told the LL we're happy for him to come and let the engineer in but he doesn't want to, he expects us to.

So, who IBU? Does anyone know the legalities?

CloudsAndTrees Tue 09-Apr-13 18:51:24

The legalities depend on your contract, it might be covered in there.

I'd ask the ll if you can contact British gas directly to arrange a convenient time. I have one of those plans and they do arrange out of hours visits.

kinkyfuckery Tue 09-Apr-13 18:51:32

Hmmm, it's a difficult one.

I am in social housing and I know there is a clause in the lease that means that I have to allow access to the property for servicemen/inspection. Is there a similar clause in yours?

When are housing inspections done?

HoHoHoNoYouDont Tue 09-Apr-13 18:52:37

Personally I think he's being unreasonable. You are prepared to allow access so he should take it from there.

ballinacup Tue 09-Apr-13 18:53:53

Well we have inspections every three months from the letting agent, but they're always happy to arrange them for weekends. We'd be happy with a weekend visit, just not happy to lose a day of holiday.

ananikifo Tue 09-Apr-13 18:55:16

When this has come up in my rental, DH and I have given permission for property managers to use their keys and let the workmen in. I don't know if they can require you to be home but they may be allowed to go in without you, with proper notice.

LL is being unreasonable because it is never reasonable to ask you to take annual leave. Has he offered to let the gas people in himself?

GoingVerySlowlyMad Tue 09-Apr-13 18:56:38

I think he is being unreasonable. All most contracts state is that you have to allow access for maintenance, mine have never stated anything about us being physically there. You are allowing access, can't see what his problem is. Do you have a copy of your contract to hand?

ballinacup Tue 09-Apr-13 19:03:40

We're more than happy for him or the letting agent to let the engineer in. He doesn't want to take annual leave either but apparently we should [hmmm]

I've had a look at our contract and it just says we have to allow access for maintenance.

VoiceofUnreason Tue 09-Apr-13 19:05:12

He is BU. It's his property, he is having this installed, not you, therefore his responsibility. He needs to either be there himself or ask the letting agent to be there (ie, earn their keep).

Angelico Tue 09-Apr-13 19:09:56

HIBU.

tigerlilygrr Tue 09-Apr-13 19:10:01

He's being u, categorically. He has the means of access (keys). You have granted him the right to access (by signing the contract and signifying your assent). You have no further responsibility. BG will not take any instruction whatsoever from a tenant so unless they are literally just inspecting the boiler with no remedial action at all, it wouldn't be a good idea anyway.

I would just email him to cover yourself stating that he has free access to the property from [date] to [date] during working hours for the purposes of inspecting the boiler, but that you will not be available to let in any workmen.

catgirl1976 Tue 09-Apr-13 19:11:39

He is BU I think

You are happy to give him access and its his responsibility to get the boiler serviced

expatinscotland Tue 09-Apr-13 19:12:23

HIBU

whois Tue 09-Apr-13 19:14:14

He is being totally U

You only have to give access, not be there. LL can have property manager let them in, or be there himself.

DublinMammy Tue 09-Apr-13 19:15:40

HIBU. Email him, as suggested above.

Alwayscheerful Tue 09-Apr-13 19:15:42

British gas can arrange am or pm appointments, I think their slots are 8- 12 or 8-1 or 12-5 1-6. Just give permission for the access and your landlord or the letting agent must wait at the property.

nocake Tue 09-Apr-13 19:16:15

As a LL I can tell you that you don't have to be there. You do have to allow access but that's it.

ballinacup Tue 09-Apr-13 19:24:53

I've sent the email suggested by tigerlily, just waiting to see what the LL says

MiaowTheCat Tue 09-Apr-13 19:39:51

He's being unreasonable - and not only that, but from bitter experience waiting in for the landlord's British Gas bod... they have a nice habit of not showing up the day they've been arranged to anyway.

zwischenzug Tue 09-Apr-13 19:45:32

You do have to allow access but that's it.

Wrong. Although it would make sense in this case as it's ultimately to the tenants benefit to have a homecare agreement set up, rather than having to faff about getting a reluctant landlord to arrange emergency repairs on xmas day.

Landlord is out of order here.

ananikifo Tue 09-Apr-13 19:56:54

Regular maintenance may be mutually beneficial but it's the landlord's responsibility. It's outside of his rights to insist OP takes days off work sitting in her house for appointments the landlord has arranged.

SneezingwakestheJesus Tue 09-Apr-13 20:02:19

HIBU. You've given permission for him to come in so he should be the one doing it. Its his boiler after all!

Havingkitties Tue 09-Apr-13 20:09:46

HBU. If he pays an agent to look after the property too, then surely he should ask them to provide a representative to be present at the property when British gas come, if he is unwilling to come himself. That's what my last agents suggested when I wasn't happy for our previous LL to visit on her own with a plumber when we weren't in (as I knew she would snoop round our stuff).

Maybe you should say that your work dock you a days worth of pay if you take it off and then you wouldn't be able to make the rental payment for that month? That night motivate him.grin

quoteunquote Tue 09-Apr-13 21:03:32

you could always hire a house sitter for the day, you must know a skint student,

When we need access to rented property, if the tenant cannot be there then, one of the property management team will meet the trade person outside and let them in, someone from the company would be there throughout.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now