Talk

Advanced search

Unknown

(13 Posts)
RetroHippy Tue 09-Apr-13 08:54:03

I am off work at the moment (school-based employment) so have not stopped cleaning for the last week. On my cleaning list was my car because I've never cleaned it before

I washed it, vacced it out and then chucked the stuff I store in there back in (charity shop stuff to be delivered and a massive box of school stuff). So far, so boring, but I was dead proud that I'd finally found time to do it.

So, DH takes my car this morning to drop it in at the garage for some work, so I empty the stuff out.

Fishing for appreciation I ask
Me: Are you impressed that I cleaned my car?
DH: hmm
How dare he!
Me: fine, I won't do it again. said like a petulant teenager
DH: no, you should do it again, just do it better.
Me: Umm... angry
DH: Well ok, you vacced it, but you shouldn't keep so much stuff in it. (I had already explained about the charity shop stuff, which is mostly his crap anyway)

I mean, wtf?! In my opinion, a car does a job. As long as it can still do that job, it doesn't matter how filthy messy it is. The cheek of him! Twat. I am now grumpy and its not even 9am. And would he prefer me to keep the stuff in our (tiny) house where he'll fall over it and moan even more. I mean, I know about weight in cars, but mine is super efficient anyway, and we really have nowhere else to store it.

And I am the only one who ever tidies the house... Or the garden. Or anywhere. So he can bog off. So there.

I'll have totally got over this by the time he gets home from work this evening, but come on mumsnet jury; he should have lavished praise on me for a job well done, gone off to work and everyone would be happy grin

RetroHippy Tue 09-Apr-13 08:55:21

Arse. IABU to not put a thread title... Mumsnet help!!

How about taking the stuff to. the. charity. shop?

Do you really require other peoples praise for normal everyday tasks that everyone does without recognition?

DeepRedBetty Tue 09-Apr-13 08:57:47

So why didn't he drop the charity stuff off at the charity shop on the way to the garage? Or is it only women who have the ability to do this?

thebody Tue 09-Apr-13 08:59:27

I hear your pain op. under appreciated like moi.

Oh yes its the big bad menz fault again.

Its HER car. Why should he appreciate her cleaning it?

Under appreciation my arse.

I too go around the house pointing out the myriad of jobs done when I have a rare cleaning fit. DH usually goes 'oh yes... well done lovely' in a seriously sarcastic and patronising voice which makes us both laugh. it does not however make him feel guilty enough to do more himself sadly. I am hoping his powers of observation are tuned at the weekend though as he has been away and while he has been gone I have lost a stone, straightened my hair, transformed my skin with a good skincare routine etc etc... he had better notice.

RetroHippy Tue 09-Apr-13 09:11:55

wannabe Yep, it is my car, but he's the one who goes on about it being a mess. If he wasn't bothered, I wouldn't bother, IYSWIM.

Fishing for approval is the only way I've got him to say thank you for anything I do, I know he appreciates it but I was brought up to actually say it and I don't think he was. Doesn't take much to say thanks. And he's getting there! And I do thank him for things he does too, it works both ways.

thebody Tue 09-Apr-13 09:17:30

Wannabe, Jees its 9.13.. Good on you for being arsy so early. Normally takes me till at least 10 to warm up.

Op leave the bastard. ( joking I am)

thebody Tue 09-Apr-13 09:18:46

Step if he doesn't notice the lost stone definatly leave the bastard.!!

grin body I have another 3 to go so not so obvious sadly.

pictish Tue 09-Apr-13 10:19:02

Mmm...not sure what the issue is.

Is it that your dh is dictatorial? Or is it that you really expect gratitude and congratulation for completing mundane tasks?

I was up since 4am. Plenty of time to warm up. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now