Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to doubt my friend just a little bit?

(18 Posts)
confuffledfriend Mon 08-Apr-13 22:25:45

I have a friend, who I suspect has a tendency to wax a bit lyrical. Her life strikes me as sounding very dramatic a lot of the time. She always seems to have relatives who are at death's door, then miraculously recover, only to be near to death a few months later.

I've only known her for a few months, but everything she tells me has some sort of over the top spin to it, and I'm just starting to feel a bit skeptical.

Today she told me that she's just been diagnosed with 'very mild leukemia', and that she had to stay in hopsital for one night at the weekend, for 'some treatment'. But, now she just has to take tablets and her GP is going to monitor her.

I feel awful for even thinking this, but my first thought was 'Can you actually even get very mild leukemia?'

jkklpu Mon 08-Apr-13 22:26:46

Possibly anaemia?

myBOYSareBONKERS Mon 08-Apr-13 22:41:53

i think you can. A colleague at my work has leukemia but is on a "watch and wait" situation BUT he is also under an oncologist.

I would probably research the illness and then see if she says anything else about it

HairyGrotter Mon 08-Apr-13 22:42:03

I'd raise an eyebrow! Very mild leukaemia?! You either have leukaemia or not

bumperella Mon 08-Apr-13 22:43:58

I don't know anyhting about it, and by the sound of it neither does OP. However I do think that you doubt a lot of what she says, and this may be becuase you've a good inbuilt crap-detector.

Snazzynewyear Mon 08-Apr-13 22:46:17

The weekend is an odd time to be admitted for a one-off treatment. Usually stuff happens during the week. Maybe ask her what tablets she is taking and google them?

Does she seem to be looking for sympathy or for broader kinds of support? Maybe she is just one of life's dramatists.

hiddenhome Mon 08-Apr-13 22:47:21

A GP wouldn't be doing the monitoring. Sounds fishy to me hmm

Fakebook Mon 08-Apr-13 22:49:02

I think you can have a "mild" leukaemia where the cancerous cells don't proliferate as fast as they normally would. It's called indolent leukaemia if I recall correctly. But I don't know about how it's treated. I'd have thought all leukaemias need some form of chemotherapy to treat, but I may be wrong.

I wouldn't doubt her just yet.

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Mon 08-Apr-13 22:50:41

Compulsive liar?
i have a work colleague who has a very similar over-dramatic life, who is known to fabricate situations to get attention.

TraineeBabyCatcher Mon 08-Apr-13 23:14:07

I have a friend who is similar, although less about dramatising her life and more just down right crap that comes out her mouth. I love her dearly but I frequently find myself wanting to raise an eyebrow or two.

She once, adamantly, told me and her partner (who seemed to also believe her) that you can get pregnant by giving someone a blow job, her midwife had told her so.

thezebrawearspurple Tue 09-Apr-13 00:01:33

She's full of shit, yanbu.

Dominodonkey Tue 09-Apr-13 00:04:40

My Godmother has this kind of leukaemia. She has had it for 5 years or so. She has to go to hospital every six months for blood cell checks. She has never had to have any chemo or radiotherapy for it. She is also definitely not a drama queen.

Wellthen Tue 09-Apr-13 00:05:29

It is possible, although it wouldn;t be called mild, most likely it would be called chronic. It is possible for her to have few symptoms and for her to be simply 'being monitored' rather than being treated (watchful waiting).

However, I think a big clue that someone is lying is when they don't use the correct terminology or are vague. Doctors are not vague, they use the right terms and ensure their patients (barring SN) understand.

I also have a friend who, though I have never bothered to catch her out and 'prove' it, also lies regularly. I find it (selfishly) hurtful and frustrating. I wish should would realise I like her either way, she doesn't need to lie.

Personally I would nod and smile and move the conversation on. If she pulls you up on it, well I would be tempted to be honest and say 'I'm sorry I don't believe you so I dont want to talk about it' but that would be rather confrontational. We can only live in hope that she will give up when she gets no attention for it.

TrenchCoat Tue 09-Apr-13 12:08:59

I too have someone who does this, although not always huge dramas, But small things where there is absolutely no need to lie

She has lied so many time's that I know for sure its not the truth. I have either caught her out or she has completely slipped up. I now find myself doubting everything she tells me or has told me in the past. Especially one major Drama that just doesn't add up.And if I do confront her, she will just throw another lie into the mix to cover up the first one.

It's so bloody frustrating and she must think I only have half a brain.
It is also emotionally draining when all you hear are tales of woe and never anything positive
I have also found myself pulling back from her slightly, as I do find it very difficult to deal with every time I see her.

I try to do as wellthen suggests, Just smile and nod, then move the conversation on to something else. That way you are not giving into the attention seeking. But it's not always easy!!

hairtearing Tue 09-Apr-13 13:02:11

I did scoff a bit a very mild leukemia, If you're going to hell then so am I.

I would smile and nod, but be wary.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Tue 09-Apr-13 13:04:31

I cannot stand people like this. I work with someone who is similar. I avoid getting into conversations with her because somehow she always brings the conversation round to her ailments. She's quite unhinged imo and seeks attention. It's a shame really.

Twattybollocks Tue 09-Apr-13 13:09:57

There is a form of leukaemia called chronic lymphocytic leukaemia. I would refer to it as mild as its normally a manageable condition in the same way as diabetes needs life long treatment but is unlikely to kill you.
My friend has this, and other than being susceptible to infections, she will likely not need any treatment for the next 2-3 years. She has already been diagnosed for almost 2 years without needing treatment for the leukaemia.

tomatoplantproject Tue 09-Apr-13 13:12:13

I would be very wary. I once worked with someone who had an overly dramatic life. I thought she was just really unlucky and then I started to think that no one could be that unlucky. She then said that she'd been in hospital and been diagnosed with a brain tumour - a close family member had died from a brain tumour and it hit me really hard, brought back loads of memories. Long story short she'd been bullshitting everyone around her. She ended up getting sacked and when we cleared her desk found a load of docs chasing her for money. Use your antenna!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now