Talk

Advanced search

to still be thinking about this family and their odd dynamics?

(9 Posts)
MrsHuxtable Mon 08-Apr-13 21:45:16

I work in the restaurant industry, for a pretty small place in a smallish town.

There is this family that regularly comes into my work. Their family dynamics seem most "odd" and I can't stop thinking about them.

There's a husband, a wife and one daughter. The man is so intimidating, I can't even describe it. He's got that stare and while he's always perfectly friendly to me, he gives off this vibe that has me on edge, like any second he could be shouting a me or something. The woman's body language is really defensive, she always has hanging shoulders and looks down, speaks very quietly as well. The daughter is the same, only she's very shy on top. Whenever she speaks or rather whispers, she's glancing over to her dad as if wondering whether she is allowed to say what she's saying. It's all in his eyes, very odd, I can't describe it any better.

I feel a little stupid posting this as i don't want to interpret anything into a family that might be leading a perfectly happy life and but I really can't stop thinking about them and the way he makes me shutter.

quoteunquote Mon 08-Apr-13 21:53:41

It's a horrible feeling and you just hope your instincts are wrong.

Pin a women's aid poster on the back of the loo doors, and back of the door leading out of the ladies loo.

If you ring them they will send you some posters and cards for the local woman's aid group.

MrsHuxtable Mon 08-Apr-13 22:23:25

Thanks for that idea, quote! Think I will suggest that to my boss, just as a general idea of course.

RenterNomad Mon 08-Apr-13 23:05:24

What kindness, borh of you. I hope the WA poster works. Maybe childline or NSPCC , too, for the girl?

FreudiansSlipper Mon 08-Apr-13 23:08:07

how sad

the posters in the ladies loo is a great idea, but you have to take into account that many who are in an abusive relationship are not even aware they are it becomes the norm

maybe an MN poster

HeySoulSister Mon 08-Apr-13 23:10:12

It's not 'odd' it's surprisingly common!

livinginwonderland Mon 08-Apr-13 23:11:45

i remember seeing a family like that on holiday, dad aggressive, mum and two kids really worn down. i only hope i was wrong and maybe he was tired and having a bad day.

ChippingInIsEggceptional Mon 08-Apr-13 23:11:46

maybe an MN poster

grin < spluttered my tea all over my laptop!

MrsHux - hard isn't it sad Beyond the poster I'm not sure there's much more you can do, unless you get the Mum on her own at anytime - even then, what could you say really? You can't really say 'I'm worried about you and your Dd, your DH freaks me out' can you sad

MsBella Tue 09-Apr-13 01:12:11

Ohh it is so horrible, I know. I've had this same experience before and it disturbed me for quite a while. No advice though sorry! Id probably keep an eye on them for more signs although I think you have enough signs...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now