Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be pissed off with potatoes?

(55 Posts)
deleted203 Mon 08-Apr-13 18:57:56

Am I the only one wondering why it doesn't seem possible to buy decent sized potatoes anymore? I have just peeled my way through half a bag full and the majority of them in any 'supermarket' bag now are about the size of a bloody golf ball. There are 9 of us. Even if you buy a sack then the large majority of them are what we used to call 'pig tates' ie. the ones that used to be discarded for animal feed because they weren't bloody big enough to sell!

It takes forever to peel enough of them so that we can have sausage and mash for tea (I know...we are sophisticated grin). The ones I have scraped are nearly all black at some point. It's like the damn Irish potato famine.

I also loathe packs of 'baking potatoes' which generally contain 4 potatoes about the size of a tennis ball. That is not a 'baking potato' FFS!

WHAT HAPPENED TO BIG POTATOES?

complexnumber Mon 08-Apr-13 19:00:30

I ate them!

I love spuds.

(I also ate one or two of the pies)

McNewPants2013 Mon 08-Apr-13 19:00:52

i know what you mean, I now only have frozen baked potatos because when i finally manages to get a big one its always black in the middle sad

HavingALittleFaithBaby Mon 08-Apr-13 19:01:24

I just used a pack from Tesco - 'baking potatoes' - 1kg bag. I got 7 huge potatoes. I was very impressed. They can be found!

DumSpiroSpero Mon 08-Apr-13 19:02:51

Last year's wet weather knackered the potato harvest hence limited supplies of crappy, overpriced, golf ball style spuds.

zoobaby Mon 08-Apr-13 19:03:39

Buy the loose ones. Usually cheaper AND you get to pick.

whattodoo Mon 08-Apr-13 19:04:10

Wow!I thought I was alone with this 'issue'.

Drives me mad too - the littlies just don't roast well and I generally throw about 25% of each bag away because they're rotten.

And I actually burned the buggers I was boiling at the weekend!

Potatoes ain't what they used to be.

BigFatBarry Mon 08-Apr-13 19:04:49

Global warming <nods sagely and hopes no-one asks for evidence to back up this assertion>

Seriously, the bollocks weather we have had for the last couple of spring/summers which may or may not be related to global warming has not been conducive to growing decent spuds, I don't think.

floweryblue Mon 08-Apr-13 19:05:18

Isn't this the season for new potatoes, surely they wil get bigger when they have had a chance to grow.

medaiwhore Mon 08-Apr-13 19:08:52

and all the potatoes I've bought recently (maris piper) are really dry - trying to mash them is hard bloody work.

come on you potato farmers - tell us why - i am with the ops who said it's all down to the weather..........

we are doomed - doomed i say i say i say grin

Ullena Mon 08-Apr-13 19:09:56

Meh. I buy the tinned ones. Saves peeling.

medaiwhore Mon 08-Apr-13 19:10:44

tried to get new pots today in local small tesco - not even a sniff - this time last year..........................

deleted203 Mon 08-Apr-13 19:11:05

Shit...

I've just put Maris Pipers on to boil for mash...

(Rolls up sleeves and prepares for battle)

Sugarice Mon 08-Apr-13 19:12:07

Two words:

frozen mash wink

OHforDUCKScake Mon 08-Apr-13 19:13:24

Potatos are wankers at the moment.

I love me a good Maris Piper, but every time I boil the little gits they turn into wet mush. Not over boiling, in fact, often the middle is still hard and the outside is literally falling off into a wet pappy mess.

Ive been boiling spuds for years and Ive never had this issue.

Exdp says its because we've had such wet seasons, says he heard it on the radio.

newfavouritething Mon 08-Apr-13 19:14:12

The poor weather wrecked the crop. Potatoes are not meant to grow here. They need shed loads of sprays for soggy diseases and that can't happen when it's wet, so they look different and have been harvested (where is was possible) at different times. Wouldn't it be easier if they were assembled in factories to the perfect size and shape for you? That pesky nature thing!

AThingInYourLife Mon 08-Apr-13 19:15:34

I've never really trusted potatoes.

Glad to have the rest of you on board wink

YouTheCat Mon 08-Apr-13 19:15:54

I've stopped buying Maris Pipers - they just go to mush. One minute they're hard and the next - mush.

Smash is my friend. grin

KurriKurri Mon 08-Apr-13 19:19:29

On the subject of potatoes, - I once sent DS down to the shop for 5lb of potatoes. he came back with £5 of potatoes.
And when I looked they ranged in size from 'pea' to 'watermelon' - he thought I'd like a nice selection grin

WeAreEternal Mon 08-Apr-13 19:26:04

This is why I started growing my own,
its not just the size the quality of potatoes has gotten terrible too.

JaponicaTroggs Mon 08-Apr-13 19:26:16

Completely agree. I keep swapping between Maris Piper and Désirée but they're both as bad as each other. Waitrose loose baking potatoes are normally ok, but even they only had small and poor quality ones today. angry

KenDoddsDadsDog Mon 08-Apr-13 19:27:06

Only on MN can there be a raging political discussion side by side about potato hating. Mint. grin

treas Mon 08-Apr-13 19:28:00

YABU - you should be blaming the wet weather and soggy fields the veg farmers have had to endure smile

Sugarice Mon 08-Apr-13 19:28:16

Anybody else finding that their spuds are smelling quickly as well.

I put them in a potato bag but even so there is a whiff that I'm noticing more and more.

ruby1234 Mon 08-Apr-13 19:29:06

I took my DM to the supermarket for some shopping, and she asked me to get a bag of potatoes. I did, and she looked at the bag, sniffed a bit, and said she didn't want them because they were too small. I rifled around the other bags (all weighing the same) and found a bag with big potatoes. Oh no, she said, I don't want those. When I asked her why not, she said there weren't enough potatoes in the bag! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now