Talk

Advanced search

To think that Amanda Holden has missed the point about mumsnet?

(44 Posts)
Molehillmountain Mon 08-Apr-13 18:18:50

She is right that you'll face criticism sometimes about choices you make but it's really naive to think that people in real life aren't judging the choices you make. The thing that mumsnet does for me is to open my eyes to just how many people hold different views, some the same as mine which feel really supportive and some very different. This has taught me to be a bit less naive, to empathise with people more and I find that the openness and honesty is quite refreshing. It's very easy in real life to cocoon yourself in situations with people you know hold roughly the same views. I wouldn't like to be in constant conflict and there are certain threads that I'd avoid because I'd be fairly sure I'd not like what I heard. But there's nowhere like it for getting a range of actual, strongly held views.
I guess the only difference is that the views expressed against her have been very personal and pinned to an actual person rather than an anonymous mumsnet nickname/persona.

pinkpaws Mon 08-Apr-13 18:40:36

Hi i agree i am new on mumsnet but enjoy exchanging views with all sorts of people. Some people have been very rude towards me but i have always answered back with a polite but firm response. That is the whole point of a web forum . To debate and accept not everyone is going to agree with your point of view. If you can not deal with that then do not sign up .

chanie44 Mon 08-Apr-13 18:50:04

I agree too.

It's really opened my eyes, hearing different points of view and finding out about how other people live.

It's easy to forget that whilst things may not affect me, doesn't mean it's the same for everyone.

complexnumber Mon 08-Apr-13 18:53:12

Did start the original thread?

If not, then i think she has good reason to be rather miffed that a gang of complete strangers think it was ok to be slagged off on line.

It's very different to canvassing opinions to your own pov

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Apr-13 18:54:08

AH isn't a MNetter. She was alerted to the year old thread by the Daily Mail. confused

MN will discuss people in the public eye/on the TV and their choices. Not the same as AH starting an AIBU thread and getting flamed IMO.

YANBU

Ujjayi Mon 08-Apr-13 19:00:52

complexnumber I understand your point but then many people in the public eye and their actions are debated on MN.

I do think it is a shame that this is the media image of MN. AIBU is by it's very nature more forthright and blunt but the site is far more than that. I do sometimes find comments or responses offensive (not to me personally) and find myself wondering if these posters would behave this way IRL. BUT, I have received some wonderful support on here, laughed like crazy and been moved to tears.

timidviper Mon 08-Apr-13 19:05:24

I remember the Amanda Holden threads and it certainly was a robust debate grin although I have to say I thought I remembered the general consensus as being of concern that she may have felt pressured into returning to work so quickly rather than a savaging of her.

Unfortunately what AH fails to recognise is that she is in the public eye, has given interviews about her family life and, as such, she lays herself open to people having opinions about her. She can't expect everybody to like her and approve of all her decisions. Call me cynical but there has been quite a time lapse between then and now, has this resurfaced now for publicity? Is she crying all the way to the bank?

Btw I have read today, in the chatter about this, that MN is a career-women clique where SAHMs are afraid to put their heads above the parapet and I really don't recognise that at all, speaking as one who has never worked more than part time since the birth of my first child 25 years ago

WileyRoadRunner Mon 08-Apr-13 19:21:06

<sigh> it's so convenient that the year old thread has been dragged up just as BGT is due back on the TV.

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Apr-13 19:21:57

yes, strange that isn't it Wiley? grin

Tee2072 Mon 08-Apr-13 19:34:39

Between that Wiley and the MN Twitterers campaign against the DM I just can't imagine how this timing happened...

hmm

ATouchOfStuffing Mon 08-Apr-13 19:45:14

What a shock! DM tells AH all about the vipers opinions at a time when she wants/needs publicity? Surely this can't all be how the media works? shock

DisorganisednotDysfunctional Mon 08-Apr-13 19:48:46

Is that the Amanda Holden who I have to double namecheck under photos of her because she doesn't look remotely how she started out?

So much botox. So little benefit. Pillow faces don't look young, look weird.

Do these slebs not have anyone who cares enough to tell them to stop?

mrsjay Mon 08-Apr-13 19:49:43

as I said earlier this thread was last year as sparkkling pointed out she was alerted by the DM
funny how it is just surfacing as BGT starts n saturday hmm and tbh the thread wasn't that bad as they are making out and lots and lots of posters said nothing bad about her going back to workm, and lets face it she was a BGT judge sitting a few days a week at a desk buzzing and laughing hardly down pit no offence Amanda grin

mrsjay Mon 08-Apr-13 19:50:16

sparkling sorry

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Apr-13 19:51:37

Yes a judge being judged mrsjay. How ironic. grin

BreasticlesNTesticles Mon 08-Apr-13 19:55:04

I have definitely missed the point of Amanda Holden wink

DaemonPantalaemon Mon 08-Apr-13 20:07:23

And you are proving Amanda Holden's point about Mumsnet with all these carping, sour comments. Nice work.

DaemonPantalaemon Mon 08-Apr-13 20:08:20

And you are proving Amanda Holden's point about Mumsnet with all these carping, sour comments. Nice work.

Molehillmountain Mon 08-Apr-13 20:49:32

But not really-I don't know exactly how, but a celebrity being criticised and even bitched about is different from others. It's what happens to celebs and whether or not its right is a whole different argument. If Amanda Holden were a real mumsnetter posting about real life problems and asking for help, she'd get it. If she posted asking for opinions in Aibu, she'd get them. Some she'd like, some not so much, rather like the rest of us. And she actually did get a lot of support on the thread last year. People like to talk about celebrities and I imagine that if the thread last year had crossed a line beyond what was being said elsewhere, then some comment would have been made then. Essentially, this is a cynically timed attack on mumsnet. Or else she and the dm really don't get why so many women and men love mumsnet. It's like a million honest best friends and acquaintances and the odd worst enemy, all being a damn sight more honest than social niceties allow in real life.

edwardsmum11 Mon 08-Apr-13 21:13:42

I really worry about' celebrities' who can't face criticism as the downside of fame...

Personally I come on here to waste time amd assure myself I'm not theonlyone having issues.

Molehillmountain Mon 08-Apr-13 21:16:00

Succinctly summed up my reasons too, thanks Edwards mum grin

kim147 Mon 08-Apr-13 21:17:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WorraLiberty Mon 08-Apr-13 21:17:26

This is the downside to Twitter and FB I think.

Celebrities are used to 'controlling' what the public say about them. If they don't like the comments, they can block the person.

So when it comes to forums such as Mumsnet, they can't handle the fact that some people criticise them and they can't do anything about it.

They should stick to Twitter and FB if their egos can't handle MN.

landofsoapandglory Mon 08-Apr-13 21:23:07

She tweeted that her point about MN wasn't about her, but about the other women who really do need support. So I tweeted her and said she should have researched it a bit before spouting such crap, because it is supportive!

I have learnt so much from being a MNetter, TBH. I knew very little of ASD, SN's in general and it has taught me a lot about that. The support of women (and men) who have never met each other holds no bounds, the kindness and generosity is outstanding.

It can be a nest of vipers, but we are nice vipers underneath.

Tee2072 Mon 08-Apr-13 21:25:13

As I Tweeted myself, what people don't get is that we don't suffer fools gladly and call a spade a spade.

Also, we women dare to speak up. About all sorts.

If it was Dadsnet and full of men, this never would have come up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now