Talk

Advanced search

Mum paying for broken window? surely L L should? AIBU?

(28 Posts)
Feminine Mon 08-Apr-13 12:54:04

My Mum is 71, she had a small fall on Friday. This resulted in her hanging on to her hoover, and that made the hoover hit the window.

It was broken, not terribly, but obviously needs to be fixed.

My Mum just paid, no question, she believes its her fault ...she should cover it.

I'm not so sure, surely LL has buildings insurance?

Its a private long term let. The landlord owns many properties, and is not short of a few $$. wink

Whats the norm here? please?

If I am being U , so be it. grin just wondering ...

HappyMummyOfOne Mon 08-Apr-13 12:55:38

I would have paid too, its likely to be under the excess and is not the fault of the landlord.

CloudsAndTrees Mon 08-Apr-13 12:57:38

No, the landlord shouldn't have to pay and the fact that he's not short of money makes no difference.

It was an accident, but it was still your Mums fault. It is right that she should pay and it's good that she did the right thing.

Feminine Mon 08-Apr-13 12:58:11

Wouldn't he be covered though?

What if she had blown a hole through the wall? grin

LRDtheFeministDragon Mon 08-Apr-13 12:58:27

Sorry, but I would expect her to pay.

The LL's premiums would go up if s/he kept having to pay for tenants breaking things.

I hope your mum is ok and not feeling too badly about it.

LoveWine Mon 08-Apr-13 12:59:02

I think YBU - unless your rental agreement says otherwise, everything broken by the tenant (i.e.furniture, windows, etc.) should be their responsibility to cover.

Feminine Mon 08-Apr-13 12:59:22

cloud my Mum is very short of money.

That is why I mentioned it...

You are right, it makes no difference.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Mon 08-Apr-13 13:00:17

Hope your mum's ok. Must have shaken her up.

I would have paid it.

But. Yes, it was an accident, but it was an accident that she had and it's not unreasonable for someone to repair even accidental damage.

kinkyfuckery Mon 08-Apr-13 13:00:40

YABU.

Your mum's responsibility I'm afraid. Hope she's okay now.

Feminine Mon 08-Apr-13 13:03:13

Thanks LRD she cut her hand up quite badly.

She had only gone in to the second bedroom because she keeps her box freezer in there.

she really saw the funny side, and laughed about how it would have looked if she had fallen totally through the window, rollers in hair~ clutching 4 chicken legs! grin

ENormaSnob Mon 08-Apr-13 13:03:57

Your mum should be paying for it.

Hope shes ok.

Feminine Mon 08-Apr-13 13:04:06

Ok, I'm glad I have been found to be U.

I didn't want her to have been taken advantage of!

DragonMamma Mon 08-Apr-13 13:06:44

I wouldn't even think twice about paying for it. I would never had asked my LL. The difference between repair and excess would have probably not made it worth them claiming anyway.

NotSoNervous Mon 08-Apr-13 13:28:33

I don't think the landlord should have to pay. It was an accident but it was caused by your mum so she should fix it. Hope she's okay though

LRDtheFeministDragon Mon 08-Apr-13 13:34:29

Oh, poor her. She must be really shaken. Breaking glass is always horrible, even if you don't cut yourself.

Naoko Mon 08-Apr-13 13:39:23

Hope your mum's ok. I agree it was right for her to pay, she caused the window to be broken even if it was an accident, and although the landlord will have insurance I assume this wasn't some elaborate stained glass window costhing thousands of pounds, it was probably less than his excess.

I lived in a house once where the landlord did replace a number of broken windows, but they had not been broken by us - they'd been smashed by the [string of expletives] local teenagers who'd decided to make our lives hell. That's a case for the landlord's insurance, accidental damage caused by the tenant isn't.

NadiaWadia Mon 08-Apr-13 14:39:30

Our contents insurance includes 'tenants liability cover' which would pay out in this kind of situation. (We are renting). Are you sure your mum doesn't have this?

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 08-Apr-13 14:44:59

Your DM INBU to pay. Good for her. I hope she got to have her chicken eventually!

maddening Mon 08-Apr-13 14:53:19

My ex threw a stereo at my head but I ducked and it smashed the window - I paid as it was not the LL fault.

Also - your dm would likely be liable for paying the excess if it were claimable on insurance- the excess is likely higher than the cost if the repair.

Feminine Mon 08-Apr-13 14:56:24

Thanks all.

Yes, I think she did get to have her chicken...grin

Oh, you know, I don't think she has contents insurance nadia

I'll ask.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 08-Apr-13 14:59:42

She should get tenant's insurance just in case.

Feminine Mon 08-Apr-13 15:08:36

Yes, *MrsTerry. you are right.

I'll mention it. smile ~ Thanks!

juniper9 Mon 08-Apr-13 15:24:03

My contract says I'm responsible for the windows if they break. That's why I insisted they noted the chipped window on the inventory.

aldiwhore Mon 08-Apr-13 15:35:24

Our LL will replace/fix anything that is broken on the outside of the property, and any electrics or heating.

Saying that, the property is old and has specific type of windows, if we fixed breakages we'd go for the cheapest option and probably cause damage unintentionally. Our LL doesn't charge us for the occassional repair/replacement, but certainly would if it happened often.

It is our tennancy agreement so if in doubt, always refer to that.

I have though, in the past paid for things that weren't strictly our responsibility. So you're NBU, but you're not entirely right either!

Hope your mum's okay x

Feminine Mon 08-Apr-13 15:49:36

Thanks aldi smile

My Mum is OK now, quite out of pocket though, as it cost 66 pounds + VAT!

Poor thing was worried the window would shatter further and hurt someone below.

Thinking about it, I suppose I thought the LL just might pay, he knows her well and is aware she is on a pension.

I'm glad to read she should really have paid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now