Talk

Advanced search

To hate it when dh asks me 'what are we doing tonight?'

(20 Posts)
hotcrosbum Mon 08-Apr-13 12:02:36

I mean, for gods sake, it's usually washing up, telly and bed.

He asks me everyday, like I am going to suddenly remember film premier tickets or something.

I know life isn't that exciting, but we don't have a lot of spare cash and I am pregnant and feeling like crap. He makes me feel like I have let him down in some way because we don't have wonderful plans.

hotcrosbum Mon 08-Apr-13 12:04:00

Sorry, posted too soon. Am I missing something? Surley the rest of the world isn't out living the dream on a monday night, especially if they have dc?

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Mon 08-Apr-13 12:06:33

Omg my do does this as well!! I just turn it round and say what are doing?!!

Figs what can we do, wash up, tidy, sort any laundry, packed lunches etc, watch TV, go on mnet/fb, sit and chat etc.

Normally I do stuff and he falls asleep on the sofa!

BerthaKitt Mon 08-Apr-13 12:08:11

Generally washing up, telly and bed here too.

Just respond 'have you not got anything planned for us then?' Or 'what would you like to do?'

He shouldn't be making you feel responsible for entertaining him.

everlong Mon 08-Apr-13 12:09:48

Say ' I don't know surprise me '

DH says this every weekend. Drives me a bit mad I have to say.

hotcrosbum Mon 08-Apr-13 12:10:01

That's how he makes me feel though, like our 'normal' life is boring. It's really getting to me now.

Bejeena Mon 08-Apr-13 12:11:45

I would just suggest that he comes up with an idea.

Or is he like mine when his question really can be interpreted as 'Can I sit on computer/laptop/playstation/phone all night doing men things in peace without you having a go that we never do anything?'

That is what my husband means when he asks what are we doing tonight, in other words is he going to have peace and quiet!

hotcrosbum Mon 08-Apr-13 12:28:48

He wants me to 'excite him' about our evening when he's at work.

He's younger than me, I have an older dc, so I am used to not doing much in the evenings. Before he met me, he was in a shared student house, drinking/going out every night etc. I had already been a parent for 9 years when we met.

I get worried that he thinks this kind of life is boring.

chrome100 Mon 08-Apr-13 12:33:43

Ha! My DP does the same.

I reply by saying "what do YOU want to do?".
He says "Dunno reallly, don't mind"
I say "well, we could play chess? We could walk to Tesco? We could see what's on at the cinema?"
He says "let's just watch TV".

Every night!

mrsjay Mon 08-Apr-13 12:38:18

he is just asking tut I find it is a bugger when you forget those red carpet events grin

MY dh asks this too It is never anything different to any other night he would pass out if i said I was doing anything exciting

skyblue11 Mon 08-Apr-13 15:00:36

At the weekend I often get the comment 'any plans for this weekend' it drives me mad I could slap him....

OzmaofOz Mon 08-Apr-13 15:03:12

grin yes, and I think well why don't you bloody think of something, why do you have to ask me. When I say that he gets all bloody defensive and says oh I was just asking. angry

AugustaProdworthy Mon 08-Apr-13 15:03:55

I get exactly the same comment!

sherazade Mon 08-Apr-13 15:11:53

in this house it's me that asks this to dh every night <ducks> grin

Euphemia Mon 08-Apr-13 15:25:56

DH will say to me on a Sunday "Anything unusual happening this week?" and I'm always a hair's breadth away from snapping "Why don't you bloody well read the calendar on the kitchen wall which I painstakingly mark up every week?"

But then I remember that he's an eejit who never knows what date it is, so he cannot access the calendar. hmm

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Mon 08-Apr-13 15:30:17

Why not turn it into a joke?

What are we doing tonight?
We have tickets to the launching of the first mcdonalds rocket to the moon, They're going to set up their golden arches there, in case of passing aliens.

Getting matching nipple piercings.

I ran over a squirrel today, so tonight we're going to try our hands at taxidermy.

I got us wigs, so tonight, matthew, we're going to be sonny and cher.

Challenge yourself to find the most ridiculous ideas. grin

Euphemia Mon 08-Apr-13 15:30:49

Oh and Eejit Boy texted me last Friday while DD and I were visiting his mother to ask whether it was a black or a green bin day.

Again, please may I refer the Right Honourable Eejit to the kitchen calendar, where I have ringed every Friday in the relevant colour for the whole of 2013!!!! angry

I'm fucking wasting my time with the calendar, amn't I?

dietstartsmonday Mon 08-Apr-13 15:47:11

i got this about tomorrow night on a txt today, so replied nothing.

DP has replied, i am taking you out, so don't make plans!

That is so rare i spat my coffee out. Shall we guess what we will be doing??

dietstartsmonday Mon 08-Apr-13 15:48:26

Euphemia i hear you with the calendar, i do the same. Although my DD did point out that i have put her DS and DSS birthdays all on the wrong month!

hotcrosbum Mon 08-Apr-13 15:54:32

He's in a sulk with me now.

Oh well, telly again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now