Talk

Advanced search

To want to scream at twats posting shite false crap about the bedroom tax

(142 Posts)
BrittaPie Mon 08-Apr-13 10:01:57

Eg 'muslims can turn a room into a prayer room and it is exempt'

'Sex offenders are exempt'

Etc etc etc

One just told me to check google, so out of curiousity I did. The ONLY source was ridiculous bnp affiliated blogs. Not even the actual BNP.

Twats.

(Not Muslim, a social housing tenant or a sex offender, btw. Just not a twat.)

MagratOfStolat Mon 08-Apr-13 10:54:10

YANBU. It's fucking ridiculous. I make a point of linking to any evidence that disproves it, then unfriending them. I'll let them know they're being removed as well. It's a pile of shite.

NameThatTuna Mon 08-Apr-13 11:00:32

I recently deleted a work mate for the same reasons.

Constantly posting links to a new political group trying to get into government (will NOT be mentioning them on here for the publicity)

Same stuff you mention OP. It's all she's been posting about recently.

This is a woman who also told me she only fosters kids because the money is good hmm

Silly cow

Tee2072 Mon 08-Apr-13 11:04:28

According to this, sex offenders in NI will be exempt if it come into play here.

flatpackhamster Mon 08-Apr-13 11:11:30

I want to scream at people calling it a 'bedroom tax'. Feel free to parrot the Labour party/Guardian/BBC line if you wish, but at least put a note at the end of each of your posts which says "I can't think for myself".

niceguy2 Mon 08-Apr-13 11:14:55

Personally it drives me mad how people are calling it a tax. A tax is when the government takes money from you which you have earned.

This is the very opposite of a tax. It's the government giving you less money because they've (rightly or wrongly) deemed you don't need it.

It annoys me because a lot of people do seem to think they are getting taxed. It's not a bloody tax!!!

niceguy2 Mon 08-Apr-13 11:15:21

oops cross post with FPH

SneezingwakestheJesus Mon 08-Apr-13 11:15:24

There's one going round here about box rooms being exempt. Its getting everyone excited but its not true. If the HA/council has it listed as a bedroom, its a bedroom.

JakeBullet Mon 08-Apr-13 11:18:24

Its been deemed the bedroom tax but in reality it's a cut in housing benefit aimed at the poorest who can least afford it. Many of whom had no say in being housed in a three bedroom property because there is a shortage of two bedroom places.

I don't care what it's called...it's wrong.

MrsBucketxx Mon 08-Apr-13 11:19:59

nice guy i was going to say the same thing.

ITS NOT A TAX.

just adjusting benefit to the needs if people,

if you want to not be affected get educated and a better job etc.

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Mon 08-Apr-13 11:20:37

I agree this isn't a tax. And in private rental it's always been the case. I'm quite annoyed that people who live in social housing have been able to claim for more more bedrooms than they need, and I haven't!

BumpingFuglies Mon 08-Apr-13 11:21:01

Where is the shite false crap being posted?

CloudsAndTrees Mon 08-Apr-13 11:22:10

YANBU and I am another that is getting ridiculously irritated at it being called a tax, when it blatantly isn't.

StuntGirl Mon 08-Apr-13 11:22:53

Assumptions much mrsbucket?

EasilyBored Mon 08-Apr-13 11:23:13

If they would adjust the house size to the needs of the people, that would be fine. But they can't, so they will penalise people who either can't move because they have legitimate reasona for needing that space, or can't move because there are no smaller properties.

Perhaps you should get sone education on not saying stupid twatish things?

BumpingFuglies Mon 08-Apr-13 11:23:37

MrsBucket we could do without that sort of shite as well.

expatinscotland Mon 08-Apr-13 11:24:50

Sex offenders are exempt. That is not untrue.

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Mon 08-Apr-13 11:25:36

But they could move? They might have to move out of social housing, but they could move?

TuppenceBeresford Mon 08-Apr-13 11:26:29

Quite right, mrsbucket, let them eat cake!

Fargo86 Mon 08-Apr-13 11:27:03

I think it's a good thing. Too many people live in social housing that is far bigger than their needs.

JakeBullet Mon 08-Apr-13 11:27:32

Not everyone is in the position to "get a better job". Some folk can not work....and had no say in being housed in a three bedroom place due to the lack of two bed properties. This will change nothing...there still are not enough two bed properties out there. I only got my place as DS is disabled...prior to this I was in a three bed place. Let me tell you I would have been mightily pissed off if I was still there. I got it because at that point I was desperate and it was all they had.

Many of us have NO SAY in where we are housed and this is just another benefit cut which wont make any difference because if you are in a three or four bed house the chances of you finding a smaller place is minimal.

Interestingly those who are most likely to under occupy...the elderly....are exempt....I wonder why? <cynical>

EasilyBored Mon 08-Apr-13 11:28:00

I know. Once my money tree has got a few more branches, we'll just move.

If £14 a week is really going to dent your financea, do you think the costs of moving (into an expensive private rental) are going to be within reach?

I wish people would open their minds andthink things through before letting this shit just fall out of their mouths.

expatinscotland Mon 08-Apr-13 11:28:08

'But they could move? They might have to move out of social housing, but they could move?'

Ever tried to find a LL who would take DSS/HB/LHA, especially as the rules have changed and the HB will go directly to the tenant? Then there's the other issue, if you have kids, with a lot of private lets being 'No children, no DSS.'

Plenty of threads on here from families in rented housing, with great references and not in receipt of HB/LHA, struggling to find a place to live due to 'No children'.

But sure, there are plenty of LLs willing to take on those in receipt of HB.

YouTheCat Mon 08-Apr-13 11:28:15

So Mrs Bucket, what about the pensioners? Should they educate themselves and get a job? hmm What about those people who can't find a 2 bedroom house so they can downsize? What about the lack of any decent housing to move to?

What a crassly horrid comment.

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Mon 08-Apr-13 11:28:23

If I had a home where there was fair rent, no chance of being kicked out then I'd be pretty pleased to be honest.

In all seriousness, why should it be so different for private rental and social renting?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now