Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to liken my husband to a puppy?

(19 Posts)
KayHunt Sun 07-Apr-13 16:26:16

Bare with me, it may be a bit long but anyway, I wanted to get some housework done today, we had building works done indoors last week and so I wanted to start straightening everything and have a break from the DC's.

My husband had been out gardening this morning as he has done for all bar one day the week.

I have made a list of things to do as I needed to sort everything in my head and husband has seen the list. So I head upstairs, having told him to play with the DC's. Two minutes later he is coming up with DS2 to "help". I didn't need any help, I was perfectly happy sorting things quickly by myself.

He then gets in my way and leaves Ds2 with me, while he goes into the attic, stopping me from doing what I was doing.

This happens every time I go off by myself in the flipping house!

My husband will not leave me alone and I ended up snapping and likening him to A puppy dog who is following me around and getting under my feet.

I am really sick of him not letting me do anything unless he tells me he will take the DC's so i can get on- which normally coincides with me having to cook.

So WIBU to call him a puppy or should I have told him to fuck the Fuck off?

KayHunt Sun 07-Apr-13 16:46:29

Ok IABU. blush

dandelionmoon Sun 07-Apr-13 16:49:32

send him into the garden with a ball grin

no, really! It's how I get rid of annoying men family members.

StuntGirl Sun 07-Apr-13 17:32:45

Well no, he's being a bit pathetic and clingy isn't he.

Make him his own list and get him to bugger off?

Or just tell him to stop following you around the house. How did he react when you poined out his behaviour?

badbride Sun 07-Apr-13 17:53:16

YANBU. Your poor DH clearly has separation anxiety, a common problem in young dogs. Your best bet is to start off by only leaving him alone for 2 minutes at a stretch, then make a big fuss of him when you return, scratch his tummy and tell him what a good boy he's been.

Gradually extend the time you leave him alone, and begore you know it, he'll be quite happy to settle when you're not there. grin

KayHunt Sun 07-Apr-13 17:56:48

I sent them outside and they wimped out after5 minutes.

I explained that he needs to stop following me round and what am really I going to do while I'm spending some time cleaning and sorting?

After I said this my husband said 'Oh, I was only going to help and then dismantle the bed'. hmm

I've got anxiety issues and I'm gradually overcoming them and becoming more independent and I'm realising that he's starting to suffocate me. He's always been this way (we've been together for 8 years).

HollyBerryBush Sun 07-Apr-13 17:57:33

Couldn't you just tickle his tummy and give him a scratch behind the ears?

notJenkins Sun 07-Apr-13 17:57:57

And as I work in an office that is mostly social wankers workers I am expecting a lot of head tilting

KayHunt Sun 07-Apr-13 17:58:16

badbride I shall put that into effect immediately, sound advice grin

notJenkins Sun 07-Apr-13 17:58:24

Whoops

badbride Sun 07-Apr-13 18:01:32

The important thing to remember is not to get angry with DH, as this can make the problem worse and result in DH chewing up your slippers or leaving a puddle on the floor grin

KayHunt Sun 07-Apr-13 18:03:23

So that's why he chew the chair leg and my coat buttons! It's suddenly becoming clear grin

KayHunt Sun 07-Apr-13 18:03:42

he chews blush

badbride Sun 07-Apr-13 18:04:28

On a more serious note--could you give DH a task to complete (which requires his presence in a separate area of the house) to distract him while you get stuff done? As with kids and dogs, I think it's easier for a DH to do something, as opposed to NOT do something

MrsZoidberg Sun 07-Apr-13 18:04:45

Have you tried crate training him? Make sure he has some nice things to chew on, and leave him to it. You could always pop a blanket over the top so It's nice and dark and cosy, he may then sleep.

badbride Sun 07-Apr-13 18:08:28

Excellent advice MrsZoidberg. A well-trained DH will eventually happily take himself off to his garden shed crate and be no trouble at all

KayHunt Sun 07-Apr-13 18:18:45

His main task is to look after 1 year old DS2 who is a climber extrordinaire and death-defying stunt boy. There's always things to be picked up (which I ask tell him to do), so I think there's work to be done.

The crate idea is good. The shed even has power now, so he can be comfortable and not mess the house up!

KayHunt Sun 07-Apr-13 18:31:22

Joking aside, it is really grating me, when he wants to get on with a job, we will let him get on with it, but the favour will never be returned, I have brought this up before and while I may have slight PMT, I am really struggling to deal with him.

I can understand the DC's wanting to come with me and that's fine, but not a thirty-something.

SoldAtAuction Mon 08-Apr-13 00:03:20

My husband doesn't do the puppy thing, but I do work much more efficiently with no one interrupting me. I tell him to take the kids and scram. I give a time that they can return. They are free to go where they want and do whatever, as long as they aren't under foot.
Sometimes the go to the park or beach, or a movie, or go visit family.
If they are around the house, I get drawn into discussions, asked for help, or to find things, or to settle disputes. I am glad they help when asked, but when I have a lot to do, I would rather work alone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now