Talk

Advanced search

to think it isn't just speed

(10 Posts)
darkesteveningoftheyear Sun 07-Apr-13 13:08:43

I'm not prone to speeding, but my family insist I am hmm due to having 3 points for it (very genuine error: I thought a 40 mph speed limit was in place and it was on a fast moving carriageway - I was doing 37 or so and got flashed.)

However, my family terrify me when I am in the car with them. Approaching roundabouts my brother just pulls out seemingly oblivious to the screeching of brakes. It's really, really scary being in the passenger seat with him as I genuinely don't think he knows how to actually approach them - he's in the wrong lane, crowds other drivers ...

My dad is slow. Very slow. I would go as far as to say dangerously slow - he drives at 50 mph on the motorway and in national speed areas, at 40. Other cars have to brake hard behind him and he also gets people so cross they overtake when it isn't always safe to do so.

Yet i'm the terrible driver!

AIBU to think they are worse than me!?

TidyDancer Sun 07-Apr-13 13:21:37

Well national speed areas are advisories, some roads it's inappropriate to travel at NSL. There are multiple roads around my home area that are NSL roads and I wouldn't dream of going above 40 on them. So that one's difficult to judge.

Your family in general don't sound like great drivers though tbh.

But what is it about you that worries them about you other than the speed?

TidyDancer Sun 07-Apr-13 13:24:23

I mean advisory in the sense that you don't have to travel at that speed, you can travel well below it. Not that you can travel above it if you feel like it!

darkesteveningoftheyear Sun 07-Apr-13 13:35:02

Tidy - definitely, especially on country roads and lanes - how people can zoom around at 70 I don't know!

No, it was just something I was thinking of as I screamed in terror pointed out to my brother something was coming on a roundabout and got abuse hurled at me by both of them, because I have points and they don't. This makes me a bad driver and them good apparently!

Fakebook Sun 07-Apr-13 13:43:08

When you're a passenger your view of the road is different to the driver. When I drive with my dad he always nitpicks about things I do like telling me the road is clear and to pull out, when I can obviously see cars coming. When I'm a passenger with DH I feel like putting my feet down to put the brakes on, because I feel uncomfortable with his speed. In actual fact his speed is fine. I don't think you need to scream out in terror though. That's a bit ott.

ginmakesitallok Sun 07-Apr-13 13:46:41

Difference is you got caught doing something illegal, they haven't yet.

Backtobedlam Sun 07-Apr-13 13:50:10

YANBU-its so dangerous when people crawl along, particuarly on the motorway. If you don't drive up to the speed limit and its appropriate to do so you'd actually fail a driving test.

darkesteveningoftheyear Sun 07-Apr-13 13:51:23

Fakebook - it was a purely instinctive thing, when someone pulls out and you can see a huge truck hurtling towards you. Honestly, I was terrified, I really thought we were going to get squashed and the truck had to swerve - luckily nothing else was coming.

Andro Sun 07-Apr-13 16:48:56

Approaching roundabouts my brother just pulls out seemingly oblivious to the screeching of brakes.

This would worry me more than someone having picked up 3 points on a single occasion.

HorryIsUpduffed Sun 07-Apr-13 16:51:14

YANBU.

It isn't speed per se anyway, but speed difference. Doing 48mph on a straight dual carriageway puts people in danger too.

Eyes, mirrors and indicators are not optional.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now