Talk

Advanced search

to complain about my neighbour's builders starting work at 9 on a Sunday morning?

(48 Posts)
ogredownstairs Sun 07-Apr-13 11:32:01

especially as they aren't living there (they moved out to avoid noise and disruption!) Incredibly noisy, sledge hammering, stone cutting, cement mixer, loud radios etc. Has been going on since December, Mon-Sat 7.30-4.30. But not usually Sundays. Now very pissed off!

shellbu Sun 07-Apr-13 11:33:26

think 9 is ok , quicker they finish less noisy it will be .

Sirzy Sun 07-Apr-13 11:34:26

its a one off (it being on a sunday) so they are probably behind schedule. 9 isn't that early.

CSIJanner Sun 07-Apr-13 11:34:57

Talk to your environmental officer. They can make recommendations which can be enforced. That's harsh though - going from 6 days a week of noise to 7...

HollyBerryBush Sun 07-Apr-13 11:35:11

People have to earn a living. Plus if the neighbours have moved out, builders working on Sundays will mean one less day paying for a hotel, or living in a relatives spare room.

mrsjay Sun 07-Apr-13 11:35:35

id be pissed off too but 9 really isn't that early to start work but I can see how it is driving you mad working on a sunday should be banned day of rest and all that grin

expatinscotland Sun 07-Apr-13 11:36:07

9 sounds reasonable.

WilsonFrickett Sun 07-Apr-13 11:36:42

9 is allowed on a Sunday ::bitter experience::

Icelollycraving Sun 07-Apr-13 11:37:13

I think 9am is ok but I can understand the noise must be intrusive every day.

olivertheoctopus Sun 07-Apr-13 11:37:36

I think 9am on a Sun is allowed. Annoying but allowed.

ogredownstairs Sun 07-Apr-13 11:37:38

Hmm. You are a very reasonable lot. Think it's the cumulative effect of months of constant noise that's pissing me off rather than the one-off Sunday itself. We need a break.

HeyLuciani Sun 07-Apr-13 11:40:10

I think they are not supposed to do noisy work on Saturday afternoons or anytime on Sundays (from what I remember of our own works), except for emergencies. Some info re noise regulations here:
www.westminster.gov.uk/services/environment/pollution/noisepollution/noise_building/
(On phone so not sure if link will work)

Difficult one though, because I'm sure you want it over ASAP and weekend work might help it finish sooner!

Southeastdweller Sun 07-Apr-13 11:41:05

9am is just about reasonable. Any earlier and I'd be very angry

Maybe you should ask them when the work is estimated to be over?

CSIJanner Sun 07-Apr-13 11:43:40

There's no specific laws but there can be local regulations. Quickly google your local regs. Failing that, bang on the door and have a word as this might be a one off or the neighbours could have asked them to hurry up, so you could have a couple of weeks of this. Ardent DIYer DHthinks 7 days constant is too much.

ogredownstairs Sun 07-Apr-13 11:44:16

Thanks Luciani - that's interesting to see. When we had our house renovated the party wall agreement etc specified no Sunday working, so I assumed this was standard, hence my annoyance. When they finally finished yesterday I heaved a sigh of relief and thought we would at least have one day to enjoy being at home in peace and quiet - couldn't believe it when the hammmering started up again while I was in the shower.

UnknownGnome Sun 07-Apr-13 11:44:35

What on earth are they having done?? I'm guessing it's a big job?

yousankmybattleship Sun 07-Apr-13 11:45:48

I think 9 is fine, but I completely understand why you're fed up with it.

JuliaScurr Sun 07-Apr-13 11:45:51

Sympathy. Does it help to think what it would be like if they were DIY? Months longer to save money.
Our neighbour (AKA The Wanker) puts his music on at 9am Sunday.
Tosser. Selfish anti-social tosser.

CSIJanner Sun 07-Apr-13 11:46:46

If the neighbours are doing work on the adjoining wall, then your party wall agreement comes into affect

ogredownstairs Sun 07-Apr-13 11:48:03

It's a total house renovation, extension etc. Not a basement, thankfully, but I imagine it won't be long before someone in our road does that! Thanks all. I guess I am just more unreasonable than the average mnetter!

ogredownstairs Sun 07-Apr-13 11:49:45

ps Juliascurr - you have my sympathy. I have had 2 lots of neighbours like that in the past and it was hell.

VerySmallSqueak Sun 07-Apr-13 11:49:58

You wouldn't want to live next door to me then.

I finally dragged myself out of bed when the cockerel got stuck on crow mode.

HollyBerryBush Sun 07-Apr-13 11:50:31

OP, NDNs did a massive renovation project, maybe 12 years ago, involving an extension, a new garage, landscaping front and back.

I had to spend the whole summer inside, with windows closed, a new born and two pre-schoolers - be grateful your NDN is doing this in winter when you don't want to be outside.

Viviennemary Sun 07-Apr-13 11:50:31

I think it is a bit early. I hate hearing lawn mowers or other garden noise early on a Sunday. Ten would be more civilised. But YANBU especially as they have removed themselves. What cheek!! I'd would ring up and complain. There are local by-laws which cover when and when you can't make a noise.

DontSHOUTTTTTT Sun 07-Apr-13 13:43:22

I would be vey suprised if they were allowed to work on Sundays. If it was DIY then it may be OK but professional builders are not allowed to work on Sundays and they WILL know it.

They are not meant to work Saturday afternoons either.

Check your local council website under noise nuisances and phone your Environmental Health Officer. There may be about of hours noise abatement team who you SOULD (?) phone now. I would also speak to the builders today and let them know that you don't want them to work on Sundays.

If they have planning permission then there may be something about permitted hours of work on it.

The builders have the rest of the week to 'make a living'. You just have one day to have some peace.

Sometimes there are occasions where it really is useful to do construction work on a Sunday, for example if you have hired an expensive bit of equipment. However, The fact that neither your nieghbours nor the builders could be bothered to speak to you and let you know what they were doing speaks volumes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now