Talk

Advanced search

Am I being over sensitive?

(14 Posts)
whokilleddannylatimer Sat 06-Apr-13 23:10:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 06-Apr-13 23:14:10

No. They're twats and you're not.

Make sure you only put up with what you can bear contact wise otherwise it will really piss you off.

pictish Sat 06-Apr-13 23:16:22

Sounds awful.

How socially inept they are.

Whatalotofpiffle Sat 06-Apr-13 23:17:47

I think they are undermining you and your parenting skills. You are not being over sensitive. I would talk to them about it and tell them how hurt you are

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 06-Apr-13 23:19:42

YANBU.

They sound like they're trying too hard to be liked, and as a result, completely undermining you. that would annoy me.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sat 06-Apr-13 23:19:58

Can't you have a quiet word and tell them that they've been a bit mean lately and you won't actually have it anymore? Say that you won't be undermined and you won't be spoken to like that in frot of your children. Your house, your rules.

shellbu Sat 06-Apr-13 23:20:55

totally undermining you , i would say something to them when the children are not around or you might just snap in front of them one day .

cheesesarnie Sat 06-Apr-13 23:29:45

they sound awful!
please don't fall into the trap of slagging them off in front of dc though, sounds like they'd love it.

distance is key here imo. distance or tell them to fuck off.

TheChaoGoesMu Sat 06-Apr-13 23:30:35

They are being spiteful. I don't get why people do this to their children. Explain to them that you find it upsetting, and if they cant change you might have to start seeing less of them.

YANBU. I could have written the OP.

No advice except to say that you are not the problem. Nor are you being oversensitive. They are out of line.

AgentZigzag Sat 06-Apr-13 23:38:14

The first bit I would say isn't too bad, but only if you've got a good relationship with your parents, you know 100% they think you're a good parent, and it's all done in a lighthearted way not trying to belittle you.

The second one says it's not.

That's unbelievably crass competitiveness, and I wouldn't want my DC to be used for anyone to point score off.

Have you ever brought it up with them? If you have, how did it go down?

whokilleddannylatimer Sun 07-Apr-13 09:43:47

AgentZigzag Sun 07-Apr-13 20:53:51

So they're not taking you seriously and treating you like an adult equal to them?

How do you react to that?

It's not for them to laugh off your concerns or try and shut you up by getting all upset, they need to acknowledge what you feel is important.

Them helping you out loads and not having any other family doesn't mean you have to put up with stuff that's making you unhappy and undermining your relationship with your DC.

Do you feel able to force the issue beyond just broaching it? And if you can't, could you clearly tell them you won't put up with them undermining you in front of your children and pick them up on it every time they do it?

Either way would mean a level of standing up to them, but if you can't put up with it and they don't like being told, leaving it isn't an option.

whokilleddannylatimer Mon 08-Apr-13 06:53:17

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now