Talk

Advanced search

To really dislike the way Corrie is making light of cannabis use?

(9 Posts)
MumfordandDaughter Sat 06-Apr-13 15:12:15

This has been bugging me ever since this stupid storyline started.

Two elderly people secretly consuming cannabis through brownies. The writers obviously think this is comedy, but i think it's terrible. There's been no mention of the side effects etc (i missed the more recent episode last night, so perhaps it was discussed then?); it's just been a case of watching two people getting the munchies and acting silly.

I used to watch Corrie along with my family from about the age of 14. And i know several of my friends did, too. This storyline seems to be making light of cannabis, and could be wrongly influencing young viewers - or even older - to give it a try.

These characters started off using it for pain, but are now clearly quite addicted to its effects, and are looking for any excuse to use it.

Growing up, i have horrible memories of my parents battling with my eldest brother for two years because he used to smoke it in the house. He eventually grew out of it. However, while he was using it, he developed terrible anger issues.

My younger brother has been smoking it for around 8 years now. My parents fought with him, too, but now he's an adult (but still lives in their home), they've given up. So long as he doesn't smoke it on their property (house or garden), they pretend he's not doing it. So he goes on long walks every morning before work and every evening after, smoking joints. He also smokes it at work during breaks.

He has terrible anger problems in between smokes. He is paranoid and is aggressive. He never goes out either. His life is the Playstation and work.

He came off it last year for a few months (he lost his job so had no money to buy it) and became a completely different person. He was lovely to talk to, seemed really happy, and went out to visit old friends.

But now he's back on the stuff, he's reverted to his moody/agressive former self.

This has turned into a bit of a rant. My point is, i think something like this shouldn't be treated as if it's comedic. It should be balanced, so also showing the negative effects of it.

I'm probably only this sensitive to it because of my experience with my brothers.

Sirzy Sat 06-Apr-13 15:17:14

I think it is quite good that they are looking at the fact that it does help as pain relief - and there is a very good argument for legalising it for medicinal reasons. They are 'addicted' to the fact that it provides relief from their symptoms the same could be said about anyone who regulary uses any painkiller.

Last night they were talking to the doctor about it but I missed most of the conversation

ComposHat Sat 06-Apr-13 15:19:24

I agree it is a daft storyline but I doubt it is encouraging cannabis use any more than showing the characters in the rovers encourages binge drinking or chronic alcoholism.

ChippingInIsEggceptional Sat 06-Apr-13 15:20:25

I'm afraid I agree with Sirzy, even though I can understand why you feel the way you do. My friends late Mum got a lot of relief from her pain when nothing else helped, I can't dismiss it out of hand.

I'm really sorry about your brothers though sad

AnyFucker Sat 06-Apr-13 15:27:50

I agree

I had a SOH failure at this too. As well as it being shit comedy (and both Roy's mother and that ex-tramp fella are excruciatingly annoying characters)

I usually like Corrie, but not too much recently, tbh.

pumpkinsweetie Sat 06-Apr-13 15:35:04

Sorry but i agree with sirzy, although there are bad side affects it can help people with chronic pain. Although there has been comedy moments on corrie of this topic, I'm sure the serious side to it will be mentioned in future episodes as the group had a chat with the local doctor on last nights episode.
Sorry to hear about your brother though op sad

GrowSomeCress Sat 06-Apr-13 15:37:16

YANBU

NonnaMai Sat 06-Apr-13 15:39:17

I agree op. I usually find the story lines involving the 'oldies' on Corrie very amusing.

This one is just irresponsible and not funny at all.

PipkinsPal Sat 06-Apr-13 15:41:57

I've just watched last nights episode on iplayer. The Doctor did point out that cannabis can cause paranoia, mental health issues including dementia, high blood pressure and heart problems.He then told them he holds a pain management clinic on a Friday smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: