Talk

Advanced search

To be a noisy neighbour?

(7 Posts)
BrittaPie Sat 06-Apr-13 11:22:38

I've been in my new house just over a month. It is in a row of small terraces, and it is just me and two young dds (3 and 6)

Anyway, the walls are really thin. I get up in the night thinking my 3yo is crying, but it is next doors 18mo. The other side is a group of young people and I can smell their drugs in my bedroom and hear their parties (well, not wild parties, but 5-6 voices and music in a bedroom, someone singing kareoke at 1am etc, not loudly, but I can catch some of the words)

So, we are generally quite quiet, but the dds sing in the bath and shout o each other, they squabble, I shout to tell them tea is ready, I play cornet (for a total of about an hour since I moved in, but it will need to be more when I find a band, maybe half an hour every other day), I watch tv sometimes when the kids are in bed, etc. I know the neighbours must be able to hear.

So, aibu to make noise, or should I try to be quiet? I am obviously quiet in the evenings, apart from a friend with a noisy laugh who I keep telling o be quiet, but again tht is maybe three times since we moved in.

What is a reasonable amount of noise?

HeySoulSister Sat 06-Apr-13 11:26:35

I don't get your issue here?

BrittaPie Sat 06-Apr-13 11:28:28

I'm worried that I am annoying the neighbours. I hope the family aren't bemoaning me waking up their baby from her naps :-(

TeWiSavesTheDay Sat 06-Apr-13 11:28:37

Life is like that in terraces. I think it's fine.

Try to avoid being noisy late/early and running around/shouting inside if possible, but you can't really do more than that without living in a rather bizarre way.

Carpets help.

Snoopingforsoup Sat 06-Apr-13 12:16:58

I don't believe you're doing anything wrong. Terraced living is noisy. I too hear next doors kids but we have young professionals the other side. They must hate us though they're generally pleasant.
Don't worry unless someone complains.

Plumsofgold Sat 06-Apr-13 12:25:43

It's nice that you care but you have to live in the house so you have to make noise. My only rules are that my dd's dont shout or bang whilst playing before 7am. They are in bed asleep by 7:30 at night so we are quite quiet after that. I'm not oing to stop my children from singing/ playing just because the walls are very thin. My neighbours are very noisy and obviously don't give 2 bloody hoots so why should I.

maddening Sat 06-Apr-13 12:30:45

sounds like you're doing the right things and no one has complained so all is good.

I think those that want to lead a noisy life should live in detached houses but you don't sound noisy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now