Talk

Advanced search

To think that having a tattoo done in your home by an unqualified, unregulated and uninsured person is pretty dumb?

(52 Posts)
McPheetStink Fri 05-Apr-13 21:12:03

Yes or No?

Any idiot can buy the equipment it seems confused

paintyourbox Fri 05-Apr-13 21:13:46

Is this because you are considering having a tattoo OP?

Or researching a potential business opportunity?! grin

McPheetStink Fri 05-Apr-13 21:16:37

Nooooo too much of a wuss grin

I am just stunned this actually goes on. Surely you should go to a reputable establishment confused

A friend of mine had a tattoo done in her friends uncles bathroom confused she had to get it redone because it was awful, Yes it is pretty silly, and dangerous, and unhygenic, and probably illegal.

StuntGirl Fri 05-Apr-13 21:18:04

paintyourbox grin

Well obviously OP. Although ALL tattooists are unqualified as there is no qualification to become one. But I'm just being a pedantic twat now grin

StuntGirl Fri 05-Apr-13 21:18:05

paintyourbox grin

Well obviously OP. Although ALL tattooists are unqualified as there is no qualification to become one. But I'm just being a pedantic twat now grin

paintyourbox Fri 05-Apr-13 21:19:00

It makes me cringe thinking about it tbh!

Reminds me of that tattoo thread with the bad tattoos. Hilarious!

McPheetStink Fri 05-Apr-13 21:20:05

Pardon StuntGirl grin

Oh so you can just pick up the kit and paint? Ah ok, that answers why it was so shit then grin

StuntGirl Fri 05-Apr-13 21:23:00

Who's got the bad tattoo? <nosy>

My favourite bad tattoo is a friend of a friend of a friend kinda thing....she has Biggie Smalls FACE tattooed on her thigh. It's beautiful and horrific all at the same time.

McPheetStink Fri 05-Apr-13 21:25:00

The ex

Truly horrific shit work

Possibly done by a 5 yr old confused

StuntGirl Fri 05-Apr-13 21:26:43

Good job s/he's an ex then grin

Remotecontrolduck Fri 05-Apr-13 21:29:03

Definitely, if they will come to your house, they're not a proper tattooist. Anything that is going to be etched on your skin forever you should properly research, look at previous work, recommendations from people...

If you go for a cut price at home service, you deserve the shitty tattoo you're inevitably going to get imo grin

paintyourbox Fri 05-Apr-13 21:29:03

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/a1690312-Mumsnet-Ink-PtI-bad-tattoos-roll-up-I-start-you-with

For your amusement

I always wanted a tattoo but I am too much of a wimp.

McPheetStink Fri 05-Apr-13 21:31:11

He. His first one too. Dumb arse.

HerrenaHarridan Fri 05-Apr-13 21:33:23

Yabu and judegy.

I had an Ozzie friend who did stunning tattoos with a home made contraption she made with pins from the local needle exchange programme.

She originally practised on a piece of pig skin that lived in the freezer and was defrosted tattooed and refrosted!

She was always an incredibly talented artist and she would just draw the design on you in pen, rework til it was perfect and ink it in.

Like with any tattoo artist you need to see examples of previous work and know they haven't been drinking!

The worst tattoo I have was done on a high st shop sad

iZombie Fri 05-Apr-13 21:36:09

Have you met my cousin? Loves a good botch job. Has inflicted his 'skill' on his wife, mother and himself. I am very glad I don't live anywhere near him as if he offered his services I am not sure I could keep a polite response on my tongue >_<

McPheetStink Fri 05-Apr-13 21:37:35

Surely there's laws though. No?

Kansas Fri 05-Apr-13 21:39:21

I think it's called 'scratching'. Very dangerous and idiotic. And I know it pisses off proper tattoo artists who have set up shop properly.

AnyaKnowIt Fri 05-Apr-13 21:40:20

The tattoo on my ankle was done by my sisters best friends boyfriend...

maddening Fri 05-Apr-13 21:42:55

I have a friend who does reasonable (not brilliant but not awful) with his own kit. He got drunk and tattood himself with random scribblings - if he didn't own his own kit he wouldn't look like the back of a teenagers pencil case.

Naysa Fri 05-Apr-13 21:43:36

You need to be lisenced by the council. The lady who did DP's did an apprenticeship before she started properly. She and the shop he got it done in are regulated by the council.

Ihavetopushthepramalot Fri 05-Apr-13 21:44:25

I have a crap tattoo! It's on my hip though so not on view often ever.
It still makes me smile.

AnnieLobeseder Fri 05-Apr-13 21:45:32

I thought there were laws governing tattooing? I'm pretty sure you need a licence. But YANBU. Anyone who lets any random twunt tattoo them is an idiot.

McPheetStink Fri 05-Apr-13 21:45:47

Licensed by the tattoo council, or local council <thicko>

VelvetSpoon Fri 05-Apr-13 21:46:24

There was a teenage girl (I'd guess about 16) on my bus last week showing off to her friends a thankfully small tattoo she'd had done on her ankle, apparently by some guy her mum knew who'd come round to their house and tattoo'ed her, her mum and a couple of other family members.

I was a bit shock but clearly this home tattoing stuff is the latest trend, possibly like Botox parties from a couple of years back!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now