Talk

Advanced search

To ask if any of you have lived through one of my worst nightmares?

(36 Posts)
steben Fri 05-Apr-13 20:06:40

In a few weeks a very close family friend is having a surprise 60th about 4 hours drive away. To be honest I was dreading the drive anyway but DH was meant to be coming - therefore driving - anyway he now has to go away with work. Anyway to cut a major long rambly post short - one if my biggest fears when motorway driving with DCs is getting stuck in non moving motorway traffic. DCs are 6 months and 3 - what do people do if they get stuck with little kids etc... Feeding etc.... Have any of you ever got stick on your own? What did you do?

HazelnutinCaramel Fri 05-Apr-13 20:11:03

Try and travel at a time they will sleep.

Take some sweets and use as a last resort.

Have some books or toys hidden so they haven't already played with them (brand new ones if you can afford it)

CD of songs & nursery rhymes.

These should all be things that you pull out when they start to whine, not before. Leave it as long as possible before you deploy!

Yama Fri 05-Apr-13 20:11:55

No, I've only been stuck on a non moving motorway with a baby when I wasn't the driver. It was pretty horrible as you can't take them out of the carseat.

It probably won't happen.

Plan your journey. Allow for more breaks than you need and if the dc are content or sleeping don't stop.

Good luck.

LittleFeileFooFoo Fri 05-Apr-13 20:14:22

My little one travels a lot because he goes to work with me. He pretty much sleeps in the car, and on longer drives we stop every two hours to feed and change him.
I suggest if the traffic is really bad, just pull over to the side of the road for a break. Getting out of the car seat helps them a lot!

Carolra Fri 05-Apr-13 20:17:50

My mum used to have a policeman for a lodger and when I had dd, I used to worry about this too. He told me that if you are stuck on the motorway and you're the only adult with a baby that is distressed, you can call the local police number and they will come and get you. It's illegal for you to get out of the car and illegal for the baby to be taken out of the car seat which is why they'll do it. I've never confirmed it in practise but it made me feel better!!!

steben Fri 05-Apr-13 20:19:10

Going at night is a good idea - once pre DC we got stick on the m62 for four fucking hours due to a major accident - I just cannot imagine that with kids.

Wishiwasanheiress Fri 05-Apr-13 20:22:09

Carol, accurate. Have done. Spent 3hrs there first as felt silly and thought would move. Ran out of snacks etc and panicked. Bedford police rescued us and asked why I was so polite. Tbh I just cried.

littlebitofthislittlebitofthat Fri 05-Apr-13 20:23:42

I always pack an interest bag, and use it to wisely only when they are really really bored. If going at night everyone loved the glow sticks

noblegiraffe Fri 05-Apr-13 20:26:56

How do you call the local police from a motorway?

floreatsalopia Fri 05-Apr-13 20:29:25

Noble - dial 101

HildaOgden Fri 05-Apr-13 20:29:35

Ask some of the other people attending,you might find someone who will gladly help a hand in exchange for a free lift.

Or you could see if there is a train that will get there,you could book a cheap hotel and make a min-break of it.

Or you could cancel,it's a lot to take on yourself with 2 little ones.

Branleuse Fri 05-Apr-13 20:30:52

I'd get the train x

noblegiraffe Fri 05-Apr-13 20:31:45

Thank you floreats, will definitely file that away for reference!

Doilooklikeatourist Fri 05-Apr-13 20:35:36

I'd get the train too .
Or not go .
<remembers being in the car with DS age nearly 3 , DD ( 6 months ) my Mum and Dad and me . Having to stop just past the Severn Bridge as DD was having the screaming AbDabs . Very nice police man coming to see why we had stopped >

HollyBerryBush Fri 05-Apr-13 20:37:05

Use the A roads instead - much more fun, and you stay more alert because you are watching pedestrians, traffic lights etc

amiwhatorhow Fri 05-Apr-13 20:39:35

Happened to me for 3 hours with a 13 month old, though luckily my Dad was driving so I wasn't alone.

I had packed my laptop for work and it ended up being a lifesaver as I could play DVDs and games on it. THat kept us going for about an hour.

I distinctly remember the final 1 hour of the journey (which took about 7 hours in total as opposed to the 4 it should have) was spent with me and my Dad loudly singing songs to DD to keep her going.

Blu Fri 05-Apr-13 20:39:47

I was on my own with DS when he was 5 weeks old when we got caught on a motorway closed because an fairground ride had fallen off it's lorry. It was the hottest day of the summer, and we were there for hours.

I was bf, so that helped. I had taken bottles of water for me, so that helped. Everyone was out of their cars, I sat in the shade of a bush on the embankment by the road.

Was also with DS, now older, for hours on the M6 last summer when a minibus turned over. Again we had water, healthy and nutritious snacks, he had ipod, books. People were out of cars and walking about. Needing a wee was the worst thing. Lots of people went up the embankment into bushes - I had a loose dress on and managed discreetly with a tupperware box, and DS weed in an empty bottle.

I always travel with water, good snacks, a blanket, a space blanket (for cold), torch, wipes, an actual map. In snowy weather I have been known to set off with a flask of hot drink, and in summer a cooler bag with drinks and ice packs for the food and drink.

iamabadger Fri 05-Apr-13 20:39:47

How do the police "come and get you"? If the traffic isn't moving, and what do you do with your car?

amiwhatorhow Fri 05-Apr-13 20:41:02

Oh..just remembered at 7.5 hour (should have been 2.5 hours) journey at christmas in the snow with a 2.5 yr old and 6 month old which also required heavy DVD use.

amiwhatorhow Fri 05-Apr-13 20:43:06

Please don't judge me for the christmas in the snow journey. We set off as soon as we realised the snow was coming. We had to go as we were going to a wedding - DH was the best man!

Blu Fri 05-Apr-13 20:44:14

The Road / Transport Agency people will come and help, too. The ones in big Range Rovers on the mororways.
I didn't know it was illegal to get out - everyone does! blush
But yes, if there was a distressed or unwell baby, call for help!

Blu Fri 05-Apr-13 20:46:39

Iamabadger - they come down the hard shoulder.

Which is why the emergency services are REALLY hard on anyone who decides to use the hard shoulder as a way to push past the queues and then blocks it. The police prosecute.

noblegiraffe Fri 05-Apr-13 20:49:47

The potette travel potty is good if a child needs a wee and you can stop in a layby. I'm not sure if it would hold an adult wee but if I were desperate I might give it a go!

BeaWheesht Fri 05-Apr-13 20:51:15

We got stuck for 6/7 hours in the snow with ds when he was 3 and I was newly pregnant. It wasn't all that bad tbh - we had plenty of drinks and snacks anyways and loads of blankets and stuff.

sittinginthesun Fri 05-Apr-13 20:55:28

6 hours on the M1, with 5 month old DS1. We didn't move for 6 hours. I phoned the AA, they said to sit tight.

We chatted to lorry drivers, I thankfully had a bag of feeds and he ate a banana.

He was fine. I was dying for a wee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now