Talk

Advanced search

to think my 8yo DS should not cheat at Monopoly

(26 Posts)
mydoorisalwaysopen Fri 05-Apr-13 19:54:46

I turn a blind eye to multiple dice throws, and not fessing up to landing on someone but stealing from the bank!!! Surely I've got to draw the line there?

crashdoll Fri 05-Apr-13 20:02:55

YANBU. At that age, it's good to learn that cheating at games will not make them popular with their peers. Losing is hard but it's an important lesson in life.

poweredbytoast Fri 05-Apr-13 20:05:39

Yes you have. But having endured playing it with the family last weekend I would go further and suggest you steer clear altogether. I saw a side of my 9 yr old daughter that I really didn't like: there's "being competitive" and there's being downright nasty, especially where smaller siblings are concerned. It was an afternoon of sulks and histrionics and nowhere near enough gin.

EllieArroway Fri 05-Apr-13 20:08:18

grin

Do what I used to do with my DS at that age - decide in advance whether you're playing "honest" rules or "cheaters" rules.

We would alternate between deadly serious games, following the rules to the letter, and the cheaters one (which was the best) where we'd be pilfering from the bank, breaking out of prison and distracting each other from noticing when we'd landed on Mayfair.

MrsDoomsPatterson Fri 05-Apr-13 20:09:25

My 7 yr old ds has beaten us all over Easter, we are all amazed!

VerySmallSqueak Fri 05-Apr-13 20:11:40

I think he is learning valuable life skills if he wants to go into the worlds of politics,banking,journalism.....

YABU wink

cozietoesie Fri 05-Apr-13 20:16:42

Our family cheats at Monopoly - in fact we go in for diplomacy and collusion. (Treaties agreed surreptitiously en route to the loo and so on.) We only started this when the younger player was in their early teens though.

mydoorisalwaysopen Fri 05-Apr-13 20:36:42

Good advice esp about the gin. Thanks.

EndoplasmicReticulum Fri 05-Apr-13 20:40:44

YANBU. Although my 8 year old doesn't have to cheat as he beats me anyway.

unless he's cheating so well I haven't spotted it yet.

BarredfromhavingStella Fri 05-Apr-13 21:11:17

YABU, cheating is the way to get on grin

notallytuts Fri 05-Apr-13 21:21:36

I certainly wouldn't own up to landing on Mayfair if the owner didnt notice

Stealing from the bank is too far in my eyes. I like Ellie's suggestion though!

apostropheuse Fri 05-Apr-13 22:12:23

YABU

Everyone knows it's compulsory to cheat at monopoly.

It's the law.

Freddiemisagreatshag Fri 05-Apr-13 22:13:41

If you didn't cheat a game would take WEEKS

olivertheoctopus Fri 05-Apr-13 22:14:19

We stopped playing it as a family as my little sis was a big fat cheating demon and it always resulted in all out war!

SirBoobAlot Fri 05-Apr-13 22:16:34

YABU.

I still cheat at Monopoly when possible. It's the law.

Though I legitimately slaughtered DP on the iphone version when waiting to go to surgery last month <smug>.

KurriKurri Fri 05-Apr-13 22:19:58

I think eight is old enough to cope with losing, - IMO there is no pleasure in winning if you don't lose occasionally.

Mind you when it comes to Monopoly I reverse cheat - deliberately land on someone else's hotel ridden property so I can go bankrupt and get the hell out of there.

jollygoose Fri 05-Apr-13 22:21:11

as a child playing with older db I always cheated in that I would helf myself to a few hundred when he went to the loo it was the only way I could beat him.

zwischenzug Fri 05-Apr-13 22:25:48

He's not stealing from the bank, he's just collecting his bonus. Don't you want him to get a top job in The City when he's older?

teenagetantrums Fri 05-Apr-13 22:27:30

stealing from the bank..only if you can do it without getting caught, landing on someones properties, up to them to notice, multiple dice throws no just stop him.I cheat at monopoly all the time, but normally in the kids favour so it can just be over, longest game in the world...

DontSHOUTTTTTT Fri 05-Apr-13 22:42:19

Our family plays a lot of board games and card games but I refuse to play Monopoly with them. My DCs are in their early 20's/ late teens but still can't play monopoly in a civilised fashion.

I like playing 'board' games on the computer so that noone can cheat. I don't know what platforms, if any, you can get Monopoly on. I am pretty sure there is an electronic version though confused

Whathaveiforgottentoday Fri 05-Apr-13 23:43:27

I always cheat and I always lose. Part of the game! We used to do it just to wind my db up.

tarantula Fri 05-Apr-13 23:50:57

I HATE Monopoly. It is one of the few games I really detest. But I thought the rules were that it was up the the person to say RENT before the next person threw the dice. That was the rules I learnt anyway.

I'd give up on Monopoly.....Have you taught him the card game Cheat yet? Now that might be right up his street grin

steppemum Fri 05-Apr-13 23:51:47

I sort of agree with you, but remember clearly as a child that we all tried it on. I think that at 8 the solution is that if they get caught there is a pre-agreed punishment (sent to jail!)

things like multiple dice throws are not on.

I also find 8 year olds very very strict about rules when it applies to younger siblings, but want to bend them for themselves.

We usually get round this by allowing younger children to get help from adults.

I find monopoly ridiculously long. But this easter 4 cousins aged 11. 10. 8 and 5 played it for 5 hours, without the need for any adults (I was dancing in the kitchen great milestone moment)

We like the game 'settlers of Catan' it is much more interactive, requires everyone to negotiate and bargain, which is fun (but be prepared to drive a hard bargain with your 8 year olds!) the whole game usually takes 1 - 1.5 hours, and younger children can pair up with adult and still properly take part.

Iaintdunnuffink Sat 06-Apr-13 00:13:13

Yanbu to notice and pull him up on it. He is not bu to try.

CuttedUpPear Sat 06-Apr-13 00:17:43

In our family it is traditional and honourable to cheat at Monopoly.
And most other games including card games.

Otherwise where's the fun?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now