Talk

Advanced search

to be so irritated by people who make no attempt to engage with the world around them

(114 Posts)
GrowSomeCress Fri 05-Apr-13 19:06:14

It's probably unreasonable of me to find it quite so irritating, but I can't stand it when people don't know/care who the PM is, who the ruling party is, what's generally going on in the news, or know really really basic geographical facts.

I watched a TV programme once where a reporter went around some members of the public showing pictures of well known figures (think Clegg, Cameron, Miliband) and the amount of them who didn't have a clue was worrying, even when they were told the name.

NatashaBee Fri 05-Apr-13 19:07:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sirzy Fri 05-Apr-13 19:09:34

Surely their cant be many people who don't know who the prime minister is?

anonymosity Fri 05-Apr-13 19:10:05

It sometimes irritates me but more often I get a really downcast feeling about the general levels ignorance amongst the nation (as edited by such programmes). sad

SoleSource Fri 05-Apr-13 19:10:14

I know! My friend hadn't even heard of -Chicco.

Some people don't care, it doesn't bother me either way any more that it bothers me if someone doesn't know who won X Factor or which celebrity is seeing which reality tv star, people have different priorities.

CuppaTea83 Fri 05-Apr-13 19:11:34

I think some of their ugly mugs blur into one and can be difficult to differentiate, especially when they seem to all spout the same shit.

Some people have no interest in politics. They feel it makes no difference to their lives whether they take an active interest or not. Politicians always lie, etc.

SoleSource Fri 05-Apr-13 19:13:25

Cuppa grin

acceptableinthe80s Fri 05-Apr-13 19:22:05

Do NOT watch Towie. You're blood pressure will hit the roof grin

I actually envy people who can live their lives in ignorance, I bet they don't get bloody insomnia!

GrowSomeCress Fri 05-Apr-13 19:25:50

MissyMooandherBeaverofSteel

Hardly comparable though is it, given that politicians and what's in the news tends to have a massive effect on society, and the X factor... doesn't.

FreudiansSlipper Fri 05-Apr-13 19:26:08

A friend of a friend does not want to hear anything negative this is why they have no interest in the news or politics though loves celeb news hmm

Corygal Fri 05-Apr-13 19:28:24

Aren't these the people I call Tories?

ChristmasJubilee Fri 05-Apr-13 19:31:21

I used to be very interested in politics, world affairs, etc. Now that my main concern is trying to raise three children, two with s/n, with very little help whilst working full time, from need, not choice, current affairs don't feature very highly on my "what to keep up with in my spare (ha ha) time list".

Judgey much!

VerySmallSqueak Fri 05-Apr-13 19:36:10

I hear what Christmas says.

There are very many people who find that by necessity other day by day situations are at the forefront.

Sadly I think reality stars and their like do have more of an effect on society than politics (obviously not as far a decision making goes but society in general).

I would bet more people vote for reality tv programmes than in elections (actually don't know if thats true but it would be interesting to find out) and if a star tweets about something offensive it gets more press and attention than the important decisions being made about our country. If the PM resigns on the same day that Jordan gets another divorce I wouldn't be very confident which one would be headline news. sad

oldraver Fri 05-Apr-13 19:43:56

No its bliss, we opted out of watching the news, buying any newspapers apart form our local weekly one. I wont buy scandal/gossip/celeb magazines and I am not interested in celebrity or reality stuff. If I see something that may interest me I will go and have a look online.

I've filtered the shit out of my life and concentrate on what I think important and the PM is my MP

oldraver Fri 05-Apr-13 19:45:57

Sorry meant to say if I saw something newsworthy/politics that interested me I would go and seek it out but dont take it in on a daily basis if that make sense

thinkfast Fri 05-Apr-13 19:48:18

Well I wouldn't be irritated with someone who said they weren't sure who won the last election wink

stargirl1701 Fri 05-Apr-13 19:48:26

YANBU.

dreamingbohemian Fri 05-Apr-13 19:49:05

YANBU although obviously I would never judge people who, like Christmas, have far more important things to worry about.

Here's why I think it matters. I'm American, and when 9/11 happened I was working at a Middle East-related institute in the US. Suddenly everyone I knew was asking me questions about the Middle East, about Islam -- really basic stuff like, er, what is Islam? Where's Afghanistan? I was glad to answer people but I was really shocked how little people knew.

This kind of ignorance is why Bush was able to push forward a totally unnecessary and disastrous war, which has killed hundreds of thousands of people.

So I do think knowledge is important. I understand why people tune out, but I wish it wasn't so. It just lets rich and powerful people get away with ruining the world really.

PrideOfChanur Fri 05-Apr-13 19:52:30

I am interested in lots of stuff,but politics no,not really now.I used to care but now I think stuff will happen regardless,over which I have absolutely no control,so I save my interest for other things.
Having said that I do know who Cameron/Clegg/Milliband are - though I'd be pushed to identify many (any??)ministers.

GrowSomeCress Fri 05-Apr-13 19:57:21

ChristmasJubilee

I don't really care about being judgey in general, it gets thrown around on MN all the time but everyone does it constantly and naturally.

I understand that some people are really busy though. But then again, would that really stop you knowing who the PM is?

mrsjay Fri 05-Apr-13 20:01:16

I know a few people who live in their own bubble you will say did you see X on the news or did you hear there is going to be a tornado next week ( there isn't honest grin ) and they have no clue It kinda baffles me but doesn't annoy me , I had somebody who is much more intelligent that I am and thought the first minister of Scotland was the deputy prime minister of the Britain shock

mrsjay Fri 05-Apr-13 20:02:21

but i dont watch towie or MIC or anything like that so that doesn't interes me I glaze over

FreudiansSlipper Fri 05-Apr-13 20:02:56

Being busy and not wanting to because it's boring is not the same

no one can be too busy to not know who the pm is and no one can be too busy to vote cba to vote is just being lazy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now