Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to feed the dog whiskas?

(18 Posts)
loopyluna Fri 05-Apr-13 12:06:32

Dog is a titchy yorkshire terrier. We have a huge bag of cat food but ran out of dog food and I forgot it in my supermarket shop this morning. WIBU to give her cat food until I get another chance to get to the shops? I really can't be pestered to go back just for that!

YouTheCat Fri 05-Apr-13 12:07:00

Unless the dog can read, YANBU. grin

TapirBackRider Fri 05-Apr-13 12:08:20

YANBU of course, and won't do any harm. Had a rescue dog who wouldn't eat dog food at all the fussy sod only cat food.

theodorakisses Fri 05-Apr-13 12:18:40

Not harmful but the farts will be spectacular! as long as the dog isn't really fussy and will insist on nothing else ever again, it's fine but cat food is high in protein and shouldn't be a staple diet for a dog (neither should hairbrushes, socks, hairbands, fruit pastille wrappers or any other thing lying around but Theopup is yet to learn)

Maggie111 Fri 05-Apr-13 14:30:55

What theodorakisses says! smile

Maggie111 Fri 05-Apr-13 14:32:22

It's not wise to change a dog's diet quickly like that though - it will possibly give him dreadful poo. Best to add some mashed potato to bind it all up a bit.

WestieMamma Fri 05-Apr-13 14:34:16

I wouldn't if it were my dog unless there was no other option as it's too rich. As theodorakisses says, it's not really harmful but clearing up when it comes out the other end is not much fun.

BlessedDespair Fri 05-Apr-13 15:43:16

As a one off YANBU

But cat food contains more salt and other stuff than is recommended for a dog so YWBU to feed it to her very often

dexter73 Fri 05-Apr-13 16:53:56

theodora is right! When my dog used to eat the cat's food sometimes, he would have awful farts and runny, stinky pooh the next day sad

loopyluna Sun 07-Apr-13 09:05:17

Ok, well she's been very happy on the cat food but I'll make sure I get to the shops first thing tomorrow for her deluxe yorkshire terrier special!

midori1999 Sun 07-Apr-13 09:15:15

I wouldn't but if you run out in future, giving raw meat or cooked chicken and rice is fine and also less likely to cause a tummy upset than giving cat food.

Bakingtins Sun 07-Apr-13 09:17:00

If you're prepared to clean up the diarrhoea from your carpets....

specialsubject Sun 07-Apr-13 11:28:32

won't kill her short term, but as others note could be messy.

BTW there IS a difference, there are nutrients that cats have to have which aren't in dog food, for example.

shellbu Sun 07-Apr-13 12:02:01

we have all been eating horsemeat/ dogmeat for years with out knowing ,it hasnt harmed us , so i think feeding cat food to the dog is ok .

sparkle101 Sun 07-Apr-13 19:12:51

Cat food contains taurine which is dangerous to dogs. It's not a good idea for them to have cat food. Also depends on what dog food it's on as they vary greatly as do cat foods and the quality may be completely different.

Feminine Sun 07-Apr-13 19:14:17

YABU .

Do not feed it to the dog.

It would be better to give him scraps till you are able to shop again! smile

waikikamookau Sun 07-Apr-13 19:18:42

no, I wouldn't, in fact I did try for my pup and she wouldn't eat it,
give her some of whatever you are eating.

theodorakisses Mon 08-Apr-13 16:22:49

but not onions, my darling old boy nicked a curry that was full of onions and it killed him, he had major liver failure and i will never forgive myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now