Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to think that Drs just don't give a shit!

(34 Posts)
M0naLisa Fri 05-Apr-13 09:26:39

Long story short. Took ds3 to drs on 11th march. He having same symptoms of what ds1 had as a baby. He ended up having a bowel blockage. Ds1 belly button never healed hen the cord fell off. It left a red bloody stump. Drs treated as granuloma he ended up with surgery as it turned out to be a bladder polyp. Ds3 had granuloma and had antibiotic cream to help ease it. It's not heeled properly and the inside of belly button is a brown/transparent colour. Not skin colour like it should be.

He squirms when pooing. It's either like hard/chalk or runny. Same symptoms what ds1 had. Ds1 ended up with surgery to close the wound but drs found a bowel blockage behind it. He was very lucky.

Dr said 'il send for an urgent appointment with consultant pediatric at same hospital where ds1 was treated with same consultant.

Just called drs to find out if referral has been sent as not ward anything. It was only done last night as dr noted it as routine and not urgent!!

I'm fuming?!! He knows what we went through with ds1 asking for referral to hospital to get told by jumped up little drs 'you can ask but you won't get' it took a visit to A&E for drs to see him.

Cherriesarelovely Fri 05-Apr-13 09:42:39

Extremely annoying and upsetting. It is really horrible having to "fight" your Dr to take things seriously. I really hope you can get Ds seen sooner.

meditrina Fri 05-Apr-13 09:46:05

How long is it going to take for the referral appointment to take place? For with a tiny baby, routine can still be very quick, and urgent might be reserved for breathing difficulties and the like. Also, it might be the hospital that prioritises the appointments list based on the text of the symptoms, not the GPs urgency statement.

M0naLisa Fri 05-Apr-13 09:48:15

It's a choose and book appointment. The letter should be here tomorrow and I ring the number and get the next available appointment which is usually within the next 3-4 mths. When I had to do this for ds1 follow up appointment I booked in November and got a March appointment :-(

SirChenjin Fri 05-Apr-13 09:50:26

It depends on the GP. The GP who misdiagnosed my mum for over a year and put her condition down to IBS despite horrendous weight loss didn't give a shit. The GP who took one look at her and admitted her to hospital where she died a few days later from cancer that had spread throughout her body definitely did give shit.

I think the only thing you can do is shout, and shout very, very loudly. Tell them what you want to happen, phone the practice and say that you want to speak to the senior GP urgently, and don't give up. I hope you get this sorted OP.

M0naLisa Fri 05-Apr-13 09:52:02

I'm gunna get the letter. See what appointment is available. See if I can ring the the hospital direct and ask for a quicker appointment. If not then on Monday I shall be at the drs demanding to see the gp who referred us. She is the senior GP.

SirChenjin Fri 05-Apr-13 09:53:45

Mona - if it's a choose and book appt, can you phone the general switchboard number and ask to speak to the secretary of consultant you saw last time. Tell them why you are worried, that you will accept any cancellation, tell them how frantic you are, follow up with an email if necessary, both to the consultant and the secretary.

M0naLisa Fri 05-Apr-13 09:55:48

IWill they get me down for cancellations if one arises? And contact me if there is a cancelation?

The hospital is a way away from us and has been under scrutiny in the last week (Leeds General Infirmary)
I'm near Hull.

M0naLisa Fri 05-Apr-13 09:56:04

Also would they give me an email address to write to them at?

LunaticFringe Fri 05-Apr-13 10:02:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SirChenjin Fri 05-Apr-13 10:02:42

You can only try - I know that the secretaries have a lot of power! Can't guarantee it of course, but it's definitely worth a shot, esp. in light of your previous experience with your other DC.

SneakyNinja Fri 05-Apr-13 10:04:27

I'm sure you will get many responses saying yabu but unfortunately, IME the GPs that I have come across do not seem to give a shit. It's quite sad really.

Abra1d Fri 05-Apr-13 10:06:32

By and large I heart doctors and one of the loveliest people I ever knew was our sadly missed GP, who died of cancer, the symptoms of which she had probably overlooked herself because she was too preoccupied looking after all of us. sad She was a saintly woman who made you feel better just by being in the room with her.

There is, however, a particular class of doctor who get my blood pressure levels dangerously high. Usually male, early thirties, usually encountered when I take my son to hospital. Obviously bored with the routine clinic, inclined to make me feel I'm over-reacting (I'm not, as events have proved). They claim none of the tests have been done because they can't see the results on the computer system they don't know how to use. Luckily our GP surgery manages each time to fax (FGS) the results to them.

Fortunately I am old enough and thick-skinned enough to ignore the rudeness.

On a separate note, why the bloody hell doesn't someone teach doctors how to use this whizzy new computer system we all had to join?

LadyApricot Fri 05-Apr-13 10:10:30

I found it sad when I told my dr that my SIL was a consultant at the hospital and she immediately ordered bloods rather than fobbing me off saying 'in that case we'd better do everything thoroughly and properly'
Does that mean without contacts in the medical profession you're not treated as well?!
Suddenly I'm being treated amazingly although another dr still managed to misdiagnose my 2 yr old dd last week resulting in us rushing her to hospital on the verge of going in to a coma.
Trust your instincts and push very hard for what you want otherwise they just dither

piprabbit Fri 05-Apr-13 10:18:46

Funnily (not very funny actually) enough, I was getting dressed this morning and thinking about starting a thread asking if people felt that their GPs were effective.

I've had a variety of health problems over the years, some very serious. But my GPs have regularly and consistently failed to treat me or even escalate the problem effectively. I have Lupus (diagnosed in hospital while suffering from pneumonia and stuff); I had pneumococcal scepticemia, the GP dismissed my symptoms but the OOH Doctor sent me straight to hospital; I have endometriosis (diagnosed in hospital during an op to sort out an ectopic). I'd been to see my GP about all these problems with clear symptoms, but was only ever treated when I reached a crisis and saw someone who wasn't my GP. GPs seemed mostly concerned to get me out of their office asap.

I hope the OPs DS gets the treatment he needs soon.

Gigondas Fri 05-Apr-13 10:40:45

Candle lit for Henry. So sorry for gig and your parents as it is so hard to take this decision even if it is right thing to do.

One of the sources of comfort for me is telling stories about my pets to the dds- they absolutely love stories about them, especially my naughty cat. It is a real comfort to me as I was devestated when lost them but feel they live on now as are part of family that I tell my kids about.

Hope you are more comfy now.

Sirzy Fri 05-Apr-13 10:46:47

I do think some GPs are a waste of space. Mine being one of them.

I wouldn't go so far as to say doctors don't give a shit though. I have been in A and E with DS and yet again the service was fantastic!

M0naLisa Fri 05-Apr-13 11:00:37

A dr from our surgery got struck off. I once too ds1 to drs with his 4th chest infection in 2 months. I was told.
'Hes starting school soon so expect to be here every week'
hmm

He also told my cousin who took her 3 weeks old ds that he's not feeding cos he's not hungry. He's had 7 oz in 48 hours. He ended up in hospital with dehydration.

MrsDoomsPatterson Fri 05-Apr-13 11:03:30

On the whole, yanbu.

Gigondas Fri 05-Apr-13 14:35:30

Oops wrong thread blush

lyndie Fri 05-Apr-13 14:52:59

YABU. Of course they give a shit.

You've had a bad experience which of course is unacceptable but that does not mean your Dr doesn't give a shit, or that Drs in general don't give a shit.

thermalsinapril Fri 05-Apr-13 15:41:13

YANBU.

This kind of story is, sadly, not at all unusual in today's NHS.

BackforGood Fri 05-Apr-13 16:30:53

YABU, and highly offensive.

If you want to ask about if your experience is a bad one or a typical one, then fair enough, but to make the leap from that, to saying that "Drs don't give a shit" is ridiculous and, as I said above, offensive.

CaptainWentworth Fri 05-Apr-13 16:50:57

Well my DH is a newly qualified GP, not quite early thirties yet, and I can tell you he most certainly does give a shit. He comes home late and worries about whether he's done the right thing for all his patients- he tries so hard to make sure they all get what they need (even when some of them are rude and aggressive towards him).

However he does sometimes get a day or two behind with referrals because he has so many patients to see during the day that he just can't get on top of the paperwork quickly enough- he only has the lunch period to write anything up and that is often eaten up by extra patients and home visits (some of them unnecessary).

And when he was a junior doctor working in hospitals he was just expected to go in, hit the ground running and get on with it- there was no time for training in computer systems etc.

However I'm sorry that you're unsatisfied with your situation with respect to your own GP, and I hope you get a consultant appointment ASAP.

Floralnomad Fri 05-Apr-13 17:02:17

YABU because you obviously have had previous issues with this GP practice and yet you still stay with them . If you're not happy with the service that you are receiving move to a different practice. I hope your baby gets the treatment he needs in a timely fashion but you also need to accept that what seems urgent to you ( as a concerned parent) , may be a very routine thing to a Dr . I'm fairly sure that if your GP thought it was something that needed dealing with as an emergency he would have sent you straight to the hospital as in these days of litigation and the 'blame ' culture that we live in most health care professionals are very careful about erring on the side of caution and covering themselves .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now