Talk

Advanced search

to think childminders should not be smoking in house with mindees??

(35 Posts)

I went to fetch my friend's DS from the CM today as she was running late.

I'd been told to go to the back door so I did, it opens into the kitchen and when she answered it her DH was at the kitchen table smoking a roll up hmm

Another mindees mum was there collecting at the time (so there were 2 mindees in the kitchen) and didn;t seem fazed but I thought it wasn't allowed? And I mentioned it to my friend who said she had seen it before but didn;t know if it was allowed or not and that she doesn;t like it but can't find another CM with vacancies locally.

So what is the law/guidelines on it, does anyone know?

ThePinkOcelot Thu 04-Apr-13 21:55:27

I wouldn't send my child to a cm who smoked. However, I would have thought it wouldn't be allowed as it is a place of work and workmen aren't allowed to smoke in their vans are they?

Footface Thu 04-Apr-13 21:59:09

For some reason it would let me copy and paste.

But Ofsted guideline say cm must ensure no one smokes in the house

Footface Thu 04-Apr-13 22:00:52

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/requirements_for_the_childcare_register_childminders.pdf

2nd page

SneezingwakestheJesus Thu 04-Apr-13 22:01:02

YANBU. Just one of the many reasons I wouldn't use a childminder.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 04-Apr-13 22:01:32

It's not the CM who's smoking though it's her DH.

Does the Law cover everyone in the house?
(I agree I wouldn't be impressed but is the DH usually there when you pick up)?

NorksAreMessy Thu 04-Apr-13 22:01:44

YANBU, I would be very shocked by this

SweetSeraphim Thu 04-Apr-13 22:02:34

That's revolting, and I'm a smoker.

There is no way that this would be allowed under OFSTED guidelines I wouldn't have thought.

lougle Thu 04-Apr-13 22:04:48

From the link Footface gave:

"Childminders must ensure that no person smokes, or consumes or is under the influence of drugs (including medication that may have an adverse effect on the individual’s ability to provide childcare) or alcohol:
on the premises at any time while childcare is provided, or
in the presence of a child receiving childcare. "

Sorry should have clarified that according to my friend, the DH is there most of the time. She says he is often sat there with a fag but that none of the other parents appear to care, and she can't really not use this CM as it would make working unviable!

goingwildforcrayons Thu 04-Apr-13 22:06:30

YANBU. The same rules apply as to any place of work. In addition, you could argue from the H&S and Ofstedy Health and Wellbeing perspective
that it is bad for health and it doesn't set a good example. My cynical self would also wonder if it was just an ordinary roll up hmm, sorry.

thebody Thu 04-Apr-13 22:11:23

I assume she isn't registered as I was a cm and I certainly wouldn't dream of allowing this.

Are the parents not bothered because they havnt bothered to get proper registered child care?

Sneezing how stupid!!! Thousands of fantastic childminders around and plenty of shite nurseries too.

thebody I asked that and apparently she is registered shock

I'd report her myself but my friend would know it was me and probably never forgive me as she genuinely has no other childcare options. We are in the proper sticks - no after school care here, this is THE village CM and to use another would mean a 30 min bus ride in the opposite direction to her workplace.

anothershittynickname Thu 04-Apr-13 22:18:08

How rude sneezing this is ONE Childminder bring discussed - not all of them!!

Not only should no-one be smoking in the house but no smoking signs should be clearly displayed!!

Disgusting :-( and it's CM's like this that lead to ridiculous sweeping generalizations!!

Ouchmyhead Thu 04-Apr-13 22:19:39

This isn't allowed, if you look on the OFSTED website their childminding policy says they must ensure that no one in the house smokes. I'd being this up, it would be a HUGE issue for me! She's breaking OFSTED rules (who I'm assuming could take her registration off her?), it's so unhealthy for the children, and doesn't everything really stink?!

ElectricalBanana Thu 04-Apr-13 22:20:08

i am a childminder

i dont smoke

i dont have anyone in my house who smokes

i dont have no smoking signs up - its my house not a public building

Sneezing you are very rude

SneezingwakestheJesus Thu 04-Apr-13 22:21:22

Erm, its not stupid so fuck off with that shite. There might be a ton of fantastic cm but the fact they could get away with stuff like this puts me off. Quite aware there are crap nurseries too if that helps.

thebody Thu 04-Apr-13 22:22:21

Lift that's just terrible then. Makes me so sad and angry.

I can say that I ran a very professional setting and always put the mindees needs first.

Just awful and so bloody unprofessional. Understand that child care is difficult to access in some areas but surely your friend can do better than this?

ElectricalBanana Thu 04-Apr-13 22:22:55

they could....but they dont

anothershittynickname Thu 04-Apr-13 22:23:57

Electrical I have small, unobtrusive ones. Whilst not a requirement it's good practice to show parents, OFSTED, etc that you take the •rule• seriously.

You don't have to have 12' signs, it may be your house but it's also a business.

thebody Thu 04-Apr-13 22:24:50

There are crap teachers and nurses as well. I expect there are crap people doing your job?

Are your children sent to schools or attend hospitals?

If was a stupid comment and a sweeping generalisation of all child minders.

anothershittynickname Thu 04-Apr-13 22:25:50

Actually, reading this I would say that whilst you have mindee's in your house you DO have to display the signs:

http://www.smokefreeengland.co.uk/resources/guidance-and-signage.html

anothershittynickname Thu 04-Apr-13 22:27:07

Do you speak to people like that in real life sneezing of ate you just another keyboard warrior?

anothershittynickname Thu 04-Apr-13 22:27:14

Are*

There really isn;t a viable alternative until she gets a driving license. I have just been on the phone to her, she was crying sad as she is so unhappy about it but there really truly is no other way for her to carry on working. Unless of course I offer to have her boy myself which I am considering (not as a CM but just as a favour for the time being) but it would be a big bind for me tbh, 4 days a week before and after school...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now