Talk

Advanced search

To think that humans are pretty rubbish

(11 Posts)
pamelat Thu 04-Apr-13 21:44:24

im increasingly disturbed and upset by the news

I'm sure that as I'm getting older (35) it's worse, so I really must be old

The phillpot house fire murders has tipped me over the edge. I feel ashamed to be a person. As grown ups surely we all have a basic value system where we place the vulnerable first. I can't comprehend the risks that they took. I sobbed telling my children, who heard it on the radio, and dd (5) said "but if the mummy goes to prison who will look after the children". What had happened, thank god, just didn't compute for her.

The poor teenage girl stabbed on that bus in Birmingham. It's terrifying. The culprit had mental health problems but he had not even been known or treated for them, how can this go missed?

I read about a car thief in china, he saw a baby in the
car he'd stolen so killed the child. Despicable obviously.

So is it unreasonable to lose confidence in people?

Is it naive to think that most people care/want to help, as had been my feelings.

I might stop reading the news. It's too distressing.

These are just headlines that have stuck with me over the last few weeks and I

Tee2072 Thu 04-Apr-13 21:45:48

"...we all have a basic value system where we place the vulnerable first..."

Have you met our current government?

People are self centred and always have been and always will be.

Toasttoppers Thu 04-Apr-13 21:56:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

aldiwhore Thu 04-Apr-13 22:00:35

The vast majority of people aren't like the examples above, if they were then YWNBU.

I still believe that mostly, people are good... and the good tend to be unheard, unseen and don't shock the rest of the world into taking notice.

I think if we start believing that general people are mostly rubbish, then we will become a self fulfilling prophecy.

Ridersofthestorm Thu 04-Apr-13 22:02:37

I know I feel terrible when I read the news and it makes you worse when you realise the world will unfortunately always be like this.
I sometimes wish I was oblivious to all this stuff so I wouldn't worry so much.
People sadly will always do awful and horrible things, it's a fact of life. It just would be nice to read something inspiring and lovely in the news for a change.

pamelat Thu 04-Apr-13 22:08:02

It just feels like such a scary place to bring children in to.

I don't remember being aware of anything disturbing as a child but my 5 year old has heard about the house fire, been told by older school friends about the school shootings in the US, and we have chosen to tell her that there are some bad people so never to go with anyone unless we say.

I don't know, maybe you're overly sensitive as a parent.

I just don't remember knowing any of this 30 years ago when I'd have been 5

Tee2072 Thu 04-Apr-13 22:18:03

Of course you don't remember things from when you were a child. There was no internet, not as much TV, you certainly couldn't read the papers.

The first time I heard 'what world is this to bring a child into' or something like that was sometime in the 70s when Gloria Bunker Stivic, from the show All in the Family (US) was pregnant.

The world and people have not changed. The delivery of information has changed.

superstarheartbreaker Thu 04-Apr-13 22:21:38

Unfortunately op humanity has always displayed horrific violence. WW 1 and 2, the nazis, witch trials etc, etc. So yanbu. Humans are a bit rubbish. There are some nice people sure but as a whole we are a rather violent lot.

pictish Thu 04-Apr-13 22:27:00

The examples you provide aren't at all typical of people, you know.

ClaraOswald Thu 04-Apr-13 22:33:08

With the advent of newer and faster technology, the world has become a much smaller, less private place.

pigletpower Thu 04-Apr-13 22:41:29

As I turned 40 I realsed that most of the people I know[including close family] are in fact shit and not actually worth bothering with.It's like I had either an epiphany or a breakdown.I don't know but I wished i could go back to how I was before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now