Talk

Advanced search

to not want by 7wk olds dad to take him out without me?

(99 Posts)
JellyBelly1975 Thu 04-Apr-13 19:58:07

We aren't together and he wants to spend time with him but without me.

I'm bf'ding on demand and lo feeds roughly every hour.

He's said he wants me to feed lo and he will come back in an hour. But I'm not comfortable with it. I need some other opinions on this please. Would anyone be ok with letting their 7 week old leave the building they are in?

I've offered to meet at my parents house and go upstairs in case lo wants feeding, he says this will not be relaxed for him.

Annunziata Thu 04-Apr-13 19:59:23

YANBU, baby is too little just now.

Gossipmonster Thu 04-Apr-13 20:00:46

I let my DS2 dad take him when he was teeny tiny and he was EBF - it'll be fine - as long as you have no other concerns?

thebody Thu 04-Apr-13 20:01:12

No I sgree with you. Why is he insisting on something that will make his child's mother upset?

Salmotrutta Thu 04-Apr-13 20:01:57

Do you trust him to bring the baby back within an hour?

Is he planning on taking the baby out in the pram for a walk?

If you trust him to be just an hour or less and he's going for a walk I don't see a problem.?

I don't understand about leaving the building.

Gossipmonster Thu 04-Apr-13 20:02:03

It's his son too?

atrcts Thu 04-Apr-13 20:02:25

You're not being unreasonable at all.

stella1w Thu 04-Apr-13 20:03:11

Yanbu

Salmotrutta Thu 04-Apr-13 20:03:39

I don't think theOP gives enough info.

If it's just out for a walk and if he comes back within the hour what is wrong with that?

seeker Thu 04-Apr-13 20:03:40

Sorry- but I think you have to let him. I understand why you would hate it. Could you compromise on 30 minutes?

NaturalBlondeYeahRight Thu 04-Apr-13 20:04:52

No, we'll unless he pretty much walks to the shops and back. Where else could he go in one hour??
You have offered him one idea which ( might) make him uncomfortable. What about you wait in a cafe while he has a mooch around town. Tbh what sort of bonding will he be doing in this hour?
Are you on good terms or are things still dodgy. Who left who?

I think going out for a walk for half an hour isn't too big an ask really.

Salmotrutta Thu 04-Apr-13 20:05:03

And I still don't understand about "leaving the building"

Babies can go out from day one if properly dressed etc?

NaturalBlondeYeahRight Thu 04-Apr-13 20:05:35

Sorry if I sound rude, just wondering who would be feeling more sensitive ATM.

SirBoobAlot Thu 04-Apr-13 20:06:15

No, YANBU. Too little.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Thu 04-Apr-13 20:07:14

I regularly chucked mine at my husband and told him to bog off with them for an hour or two grin

If you were still a couple, would you feel the same way? That he couldn't take the baby out for an hour without you?

Or is he irresponsible and not capable of caring for a small baby for an hour? In which case then of course he can't.

Salmotrutta Thu 04-Apr-13 20:07:36

Too little for a one hour walk?

We can't really say until the OP clarifies what he is planning on!

digerd Thu 04-Apr-13 20:07:57

At 7 weeks babies just eat, sleep and need nappy changing.
What does he intend to do in an hour and where?

No, yanbu he is.

zukiecat Thu 04-Apr-13 20:08:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

seeker Thu 04-Apr-13 20:09:19

I just remember how much my children's father loved time alone with them, and how he still remembers it now.

Pigsmummy Thu 04-Apr-13 20:11:06

I couldn't bring myself to let this happen, yanbu. What will he gain in an hour that can't be gained in your home? You could go for a bath/nap/read but stay close by, also it is Baltic cold at the moment and snowy.

redskyatnight Thu 04-Apr-13 20:11:18

AT this age my DC's grandparents loved taking them out for a walk (obv with baby in pram). I totally see how this feels more like time together than with you being round or in a place where he can't relax. If you're not comfortable with an hour, why not half an hour and build up?

SneakyNinja Thu 04-Apr-13 20:11:38

Depends how far away he is going. Is there any possibility of taking Ds somewhere that is only 5-10 minutes away and then promising to return as soon as he gets fretty?
I do feel for you, I remember having a Doctors appointment with Ds about the same age and practically having to drag myself out the door away from him. AND it was only half an hour AND I'm married to his Father.

noblegiraffe Thu 04-Apr-13 20:12:10

Why on earth is a 7 week old baby too little to be apart from its mother for an hour? I really don't think he's asking much, and can understand why he'd want to spend time with his own child away from a hovering mother.

I've got an ebf nine week old who I leave with DH while I pop to the shops and who has been taken out in the pram by grandparents. The only problem I can see here is if you don't trust him to bring the baby back.

Salmotrutta Thu 04-Apr-13 20:12:39

Scandinavian babies seem to cope Pigsmummy.

They put their babies out (properly attired) to sleep in their prams no problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now