Talk

Advanced search

To think the whole men withdraw to their cave is utterly bollocks

(12 Posts)
InNeedOfBrandy Thu 04-Apr-13 18:59:37

I'm not talking about space, which everyone needs male or female I'm talking about men are from mars kinda crap.

Pilfette Thu 04-Apr-13 19:02:13

YANBU - I loathe that book and similar 'views' that just perpetuate these types of myth, thereby excusing behaviour on the grounds of gender <breathes>

badguider Thu 04-Apr-13 19:02:28

I think some people when they've had a hard day like to get away and be alone and some people like to spew it all out in a big splurge of chat...

I'm vaguely willing to believe that there are are more men than women in the first category and vice versa.

But I agree, that there is generally more variation within the range of individuals each sex than there is difference between the two sexes.

Pilfette Thu 04-Apr-13 19:04:04

Badguider said it much better and with less rage than me!

headinhands Thu 04-Apr-13 19:04:49

Yes! Hate the gender stereotypes it reinforces. She goes off shopping with her 'girls' while he broods in a cave. It worries me how great people think the book is.

AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate Thu 04-Apr-13 19:05:03

Oh god yes. Utter bollocks.

My normal recommendation in this situation is Delusions of Gender by Cordelia Fine. Then you can rant more efficiently.

AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate Thu 04-Apr-13 19:05:39

Not that you aren't ranting efficiently. Oh bollocks, been a long day. You know what I mean.

Pilfette Thu 04-Apr-13 19:06:41

Second vote for Delusions of Gender, really good read.

InNeedOfBrandy Thu 04-Apr-13 19:07:15

I am so amazoning that amanda thank you. Urgh I'm annoyed with it, if the man fucks off and doesn't ring you for 2 weeks it is because he's a dick and only wants you when he wants something, no do not be open to receive him back and keep your love he is using you and you are not important to him. ARGH rant over

Fleecyslippers Thu 04-Apr-13 19:14:18

YANBU. Ex got hold of this book and seemed to adopt it as a bible to justify his need to withdraw from nightcare of the kids/family life etc.
In reality he was an abusive arse who was fucking his secretary but he used the crap in that book to justify his behaviour. I remember the relate counsellor raising her eyebrows when he referred to it - now I know why!

InNeedOfBrandy Thu 04-Apr-13 20:08:10

bollocks that we are chalk and cheese is what I say.

Bunfags Thu 04-Apr-13 20:18:42

I read that man are from Mars book, or whatever it's called. It was so riveting I can't remember much about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now