Talk

Advanced search

to be shocked at facebook's response to my report

(10 Posts)
GrowSomeCress Thu 04-Apr-13 18:49:18

I reported a truly disgusting post on facebook. I won't repeat the wording but it was to do with David Cameron's late son and his disability, and included graphic, violent and sexual comments.

I reported it under hate speech although there were a few categories it could have gone under and facebook's response is

"Thank you for your report. We carefully reviewed the post you reported, but found it doesn't violate our community standard on hate speech so we didn't remove it."

Bloody fantastic. angry

catgirl1976 Thu 04-Apr-13 18:53:30

Someone I know has had exactly the same response after reporting a video showing 2 boys being beaten to death angry shock

And yet they (anecdotally) take down pictures of people breastfeeding

They must not really review stuff or something

YANBU sad

GrowSomeCress Thu 04-Apr-13 18:55:02

I've reported a couple of horrible things before and they were quickly removed after my report, so I thought the system was decent angry

BeerTricksPotter Thu 04-Apr-13 18:57:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lottieandmia Thu 04-Apr-13 18:59:35

Facebook really annoys me for this sort of thing. They almost never remove anything, no matter how vile it is. It's disgusting.

GrowSomeCress Thu 04-Apr-13 19:03:07

I honestly don't understand how something so vicious directly targeted at a sadly deceased disabled child can't be hate speech!

lottieandmia Thu 04-Apr-13 19:05:04

If there are sexual and disablist comments I would have thought this could be reported to the police? Wasn't someone prosecuted for a similar page about poor little April Jones?

LaurieFairyCake Thu 04-Apr-13 19:05:19

What's the definition of hate speech though? Doesn't it only apply to people who are alive? confused

I reported child exploitation and it was removed in 5 minutes.

GrowSomeCress Thu 04-Apr-13 19:33:20

I'm not sure Laurie - but even if it wasn't under that definition, I'm surprised facebook didn't remove the post under whichever of the classifications it would have better fit under.

Ilovesunflowers Thu 04-Apr-13 20:20:42

I reported one that was racist against Turkish people. Blatently racist but they said it didn't violate their conditions. I defriended the twat who had shared it. I was appalled that nothing was done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now