Talk

Advanced search

To feel the education system lets children who dont fit in a tick box down?

(8 Posts)
whokilleddannylatimer Thu 04-Apr-13 11:56:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

whokilleddannylatimer Thu 04-Apr-13 11:59:28

DoJo Thu 04-Apr-13 13:03:08

Unfortunately the system is stretched and they have to choose a way to do things which works for most children - there simply isn't one way which can accommodate absolutely every child out there. I definitely think it helps if you go in armed with ideas for a solution (which I appreciate isn't always possible until you know what you're dealing with) as schools are generally working at full capacity and just don't have the spare resources to devote to one child's needs.

ouryve Thu 04-Apr-13 13:10:16

YANBU. And I think the SEN changes are going to make it harder for kids on the fringes, like yours.

It's worth checking out the SEN education boards as well as the SN boards, here on MN, as you'll find plenty of parents who have BTDT, trying to get appropriate help.

juniper9 Thu 04-Apr-13 15:26:02

It's very frustrating from a teacher's point of view too. Without disclosing too much, I have a pupil who has severe language issues and is at least 3 years behind age related expectations.

I keep on nagging the SENCO and Head to get extra support, but since September it's been left to me to deal with him, with my one TA who is just not capable of meeting the needs.

It's really frustrating, especially as the school will only bother once the child 'fails' this year, which is inevitable. The child is making some progress, but the needs are so specific that I just cannot support in class. Sigh.

whokilleddannylatimer Thu 04-Apr-13 15:42:29

happilyconfused Thu 04-Apr-13 16:48:16

There is no give in the system at all. Not enough money, not enough people and not enough time! Kids who do not fit the academic criteria are most likely to be chuck onto the awkward pile - might be sen, behavioural, language or emotional. The sen depts can only plug gaps and there is no flexibility to provide tailor made solutions that would really work.

whokilleddannylatimer Thu 04-Apr-13 17:01:35

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now