Talk

Advanced search

To want to give up work ( almost)

(6 Posts)
Lazyoldcow Thu 04-Apr-13 11:34:52

I suppose I am looking for 'permission'.

I am 58 and by the time I stop work on a project ( am committed to a project for another 6 months) will be half way to 59.

I've worked since I was out of uni except for 4 years when my kids were young and I was a SAHM.

Since then I have worked part time, in at least 2 and sometimes 3 freelance roles ( am self employed.)

I am bored sick with one of them which ironically brings in more money than the other.

I want to wind down and just carry on with one job part time ( based at home). It won't earn me much- (maybe £10K if I am really lucky) but I only earn about £17K anyway.

DH plans to retire at 62, in 3 years time. He loves his job, earns almost 6 figures, and my money is something we find useful ( we still have a mortgage) but we could manage without, I think.

But I do feel guilty wanting to retire almost before him. I'll qualify for my pension ( from previous career) at 60 anyway.

Finola1step Thu 04-Apr-13 11:54:48

Go for it. If you can afford it, why not?

Finola1step Thu 04-Apr-13 11:58:29

Oh OP, just to add, you don't need anyone's permission to make decisions about what's best for you and yours. As long as it wouldn't be putting undue financial pressure on you and your husband (which it sounds like it won't), then do it! I certainly would if I was in a similar position.

BlackholesAndRevelations Thu 04-Apr-13 12:25:42

Retire. Sounds like there's no reason not to! smile

Almostfifty Thu 04-Apr-13 12:29:33

Do it! Enjoy pottering and doing what you want to do for the first time in your life. You can always do some voluntary work if you get bored.

Lazyoldcow Thu 04-Apr-13 12:32:26

Aaaaah- you are both too kind!

I suppose it's my northern work ethic mixed with a bit of feminism! I like having my own money though we have a joint account and DH has no issues with any of this.

DH works VERY hard, and although we are comfortably off neither of us is in a profession which pays hugely, so we have had to work v hard to have what we have now.

But I'm finding it hard to fit in stuff i want to do- see friends, family, etc etc and juggle work- and at going on for 59 I've just had enough in some ways of ONE of my work commitments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now