Talk

Advanced search

to think a primary school head should have experience as a teacher

(48 Posts)
kim147 Wed 03-Apr-13 23:50:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YouTheCat Wed 03-Apr-13 23:52:42

I think that's really wrong.

There are many good teachers out of work.

Felicitywasonholiday Wed 03-Apr-13 23:55:46

It is untrue to say she has no experience of teaching.

She doesn't (yet) have the qualification and she obviously has comparatively less experience than most heads.

I'm not sure it's worth all the media coverage to be honest.

I do know however that if the government want truly 'free' schools, this type of controversy is inevitable.

YouTheCat Wed 03-Apr-13 23:58:38

I don't think many 27 year olds have the relevant life experience to be a head teacher.

Though I suppose a different perspective could be a refreshing change.

Awizardsstaffhasaknobontheend Wed 03-Apr-13 23:59:36

What is it that she dies have then? Must be pretty amazing to compensate.

Awizardsstaffhasaknobontheend Wed 03-Apr-13 23:59:47

Does not dies!

quoteunquote Thu 04-Apr-13 00:00:09

We had a non trained as a teacher head for a while at our local primary school, it was total disaster, by the time she left, she was hated by the teachers, children ,parents and locals.

she never quite got it, fucking appalling woman, who should never of been anywhere near young lives. (I feel all ranty thinking about it)

Who knows what this person may be like, she may be brilliant, but there is no way any of my children would go to a school again where the head wasn't trained in teaching.

Mawgatron Thu 04-Apr-13 08:02:22

I am 29, and have 6 years of qualified teaching experience, and there is NO WAY I would be ready to run a school! I have had a number of promotions etc and feel confident that I am pretty good at what I do, but being a head is a completely different kettle of fish. Madness!

Cherriesarelovely Thu 04-Apr-13 08:42:13

I agree, strange.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 04-Apr-13 08:46:34

I think the appointment has to be judged on its merits. Headteachers, from what I've seen, have to have very different skills to teachers. It's a managerial position that involves budget control, recruitment, scheduling, PR, fund-raising etc with very little actual lesson time. As long as the rest of the team are qualified teachers it could potentially work. Wouldn't put me off in isolation, put it that way.

HollyBerryBush Thu 04-Apr-13 08:48:04

Academies are businesses. Teachers are not business people. She'll be orchestrating the administrative side, whilst the Deputy Heads crack on with running a school

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Thu 04-Apr-13 08:49:10

I agree with cogito

They were interviewing the new head on the news last night and she came across really well, explaining how her skill set was relevant and she seemed bright, articulate and capable.

In my old line of work we had loads of people who were great at the job but not at managing the team (me included). I don't see how it's different in any industry.

HollyBerryBush Thu 04-Apr-13 08:50:33

Having worked in two schools where the financial ineptitude of the Heads have driven the school into near bankruptcy - I've said for a long time that teachers have no place running a business.

Callisto Thu 04-Apr-13 08:50:35

There are plenty of awful headteachers who have been teaching for years so I just don't think a head has to have taught to be any good.

marquesas Thu 04-Apr-13 08:52:39

I agree with Cogito - I can't read the link properly on my phone but I wouldn't necessarily have an issue with it. There will be good and bad HTs with all different types of experience.

I think sometimes because teachers tend not to have worked in commercial environments they can have a slightly blinkered view of things.

Before all the teachers get angry I'm not suggesting that they aren't good teachers but that the nature of the school environment means that they don't have experience of management outside of a school.

HollyBerryBush Thu 04-Apr-13 08:53:49

Most heads (and I've been in 6 schools now) haven't been near a classroom in the thick end of 20 years. In one school, the pupils didn't know who the Head was shock and the staff weren't too sure either grin. That's was one of the schools that nearly went tits up until that Head was shuffled out with another massive pay off for ineptitude

exoticfruits Thu 04-Apr-13 09:00:07

All good primary Head teachers that I know regularly teach classes in the school-very often they will do it rather than get a supply, or because they can't get a supply. They should all do it, they get to really know the children and it keeps them in touch with reality.

Blissx Thu 04-Apr-13 09:03:24

Ok, HollyBerryBush, you have a point, but this woman is only 27 and shouldn't be running a school even if she did have QTS for that reason alone. What makes it even worse, is that this woman was on the panel for defining the new Primary Curriculum and she herself says she will not use it. Out-effing-rageous.
Parents need to realise the harm Gove is doing to education 'by the back door'. It won't end here...

TheNebulousBoojum Thu 04-Apr-13 09:06:40

How many members of an OFSTED team have recent teaching experience?
Heads, especially of large schools are managers and administrators.
I've known excellent teachers who were poor heads and heads who were crap teachers. I'd want to see her in the job for a few years before judging.
I'd also want to know what her communication skills with children, staff and parents looked like within the first year.

TheNebulousBoojum Thu 04-Apr-13 09:07:35

Oh, and the fact that she's 27 doesn't bother me either.

LynetteScavo Thu 04-Apr-13 09:09:51

What Mawgatron said.

There is no way I would let my DC go to a primary like this.

I also think heads of secondary schools should have been teachers.

Somethings you can't learn on a course, you only learn by experience.

LynetteScavo Thu 04-Apr-13 09:11:39

So is this the new breed of head then, one who doesn't actually have any contact with parents or children?

mercibucket Thu 04-Apr-13 09:15:05

All the children in my school look up to (and are a bit scared of as well) the head. For small children it's a really important role. It would be better to go down the bursar/head route with a good manager brought it tpo do the budget etc.

mercibucket Thu 04-Apr-13 09:15:05

All the children in my school look up to (and are a bit scared of as well) the head. For small children it's a really important role. It would be better to go down the bursar/head route with a good manager brought it tpo do the budget etc.

janey68 Thu 04-Apr-13 09:19:54

I would imagine she must be pretty damn impressive to be appointed to the post. Let's wait and see. If in a couple of years time shes running a good business and is well regarded by pupils, teachers and parents then a lot of people will need to eat their words!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now